Nathan Brown 1.JPG
Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

#robbiemears

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 1, 2015
As I’ve said, I’d appoint Flanagan in some capacity. He’s desperately looking for a coaching gig. But if he’s unpalatable still, there really are no better options available right now than Brownie. The struggles of SK, Barrett, O’Brien and TP is a reminder that good assistants typically don’t make for good head coaches - with a few notable exceptions.

For what it’s worth, I asked Smithy late last year who’d he’d pick to replace SK and he was adamant that Brownie was the man. Yes, Brownie and Smithy are mates. But he seemed genuine enough in his endorsement and felt that Nathan would be a calm head for the monumental rebuild ahead.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
But who is his old mate from way back that got into the owners ear about hiring him in the first place? Same guy is guilty of nepotism and is a convicted fraudster of dubious character. He's the man now pulling all the strings. They are all well connected. Wont be long until they have all their mates right across the coaching and training spots.

Ive said too much...
Well, the old ways of hiring ex warriors legends into various roles didn’t seem to help much, we used to complain we didn’t have enough hard-nosed aussie loigies around the place.

POS getting his son into the squad was a bit iffy, but he’s held up his end on the field.

And being banned from the NRL, it was pretty funny we managed to sneak him back in under the radar somewhat, IDK, you lie down with dogs, you’ll get some fleas, but at least they can sign players, young players, good players, previously we couldn’t sign anyone who wasn’t either a kiwi international with the home coming card (Luke, sheck, harris, nikorima), or a retirement contract (Hoffman, friend) or both (blair)

Brown, he’s very reasonable in his comments, says the right things, they don’t quite line up with the reality, “we played too conservative” bro, what does expansive even look like with a reserve grade backline and a moderate pack with AFB out. Your probably better served by completion rate footy until you get some troops back.

Last edited:

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I keep going back to the story I read at the time that Phil Gould would only join in his role if a particular coach got the job, Gould obviously thinking Brown has something that will be good for our development at the moment, perhaps that’s recruitment. The lengths he went to to get Cleary at the panthers didn’t look like a good idea at the time, but look now. I also like the temperament, doesn’t go apeshit like some up in the box and not afraid to quietly drop a player if not performing.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Well, the old ways of hiring ex warriors legends into various roles didn’t seem to help much, we used to complain we didn’t have enough hard-nosed aussie loigies around the place.

O’sullivan getting his son into the squad was a bit iffy, but he’s held up his end on the field.

POS being banned from the NRL, it was pretty funny we managed to sneak him back in under the radar somewhat, IDK, you lie down with dogs, you’ll get some fleas, but at least they can sign players, young players, good players, previously we couldn’t sign anyone who wasn’t either a kiwi international with the home coming card (Luke, sheck, harris, nikorima), or a retirement contract (Hoffman, friend) or both (blair)

Brown, he’s very reasonable in his comments, says the right things, they don’t quite line up with the reality, “we played too conservative” bro, what does expansive even look like with a reserve grade backline and a moderate pack with AFB out. Your probably better served by completion rate footy until you get some troops back.
Agree with the conservative approach being the right approach for this one game.

All of the Warriors wins over the Storm have been low scoring tight affairs in the Bellamy era.

Brown did say he was going to play completion ball till round six.

He has stuck to his template by calling for change in round seven. At least he has a plan for the season, unlike SK who said the attack was coming for four years.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I keep going back to the story I read at the time that Phil Gould would only join in his role if a particular coach got the job, Gould obviously thinking Brown has something that will be good for our development at the moment, perhaps that’s recruitment. The lengths he went to to get Cleary at the panthers didn’t look like a good idea at the time, but look now. I also like the temperament, doesn’t go apeshit like some up in the box and not afraid to quietly drop a player if not performing.
Brown does the fatherly figure well, which he needs to because he has a temper, and he also is a cull cut and slash man.

I like what he has to say publicly, it is relatively honest compared to that other mind numbing shit we had for the last four years.

At least Fus got dropped, I do not believe in miracle recoveries.]

He will do nicely for now, he can rebuild the squad without ties to the players and move along when a better coach comes along.

Addit:

I have not given up on Fus, anyone can comeback with the right messaging. We all know he lives to play for Tonga, he has forgotten that the Warriors are the same thing, you represent your people every time you play a sport.

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
We are doing great without a great Half and Hooker, i just hope we can get them for next year and then we can judge Brown if he is our coach for 2023 and onwards
You say that like we get a choice in his retention as coach.....
I get you I think.....you mean whether we support the idea.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Nepotism is rife right across the Nrl, it’s by no means unique to the Warriors.

I’m taking the long term view here, it’s players that make coaches in most cases which is why I’m prepared to be patient with the club while we rebuild our junior pathways and recruit well. Cleary isn’t twice the coach now that he was at the Tigers he just has better cattle because of the good work done over the past 5-7 years by the Panthers as an organisation.

I think we’re well placed to grow the club from the ground up with Gus, POS and a development coach in Brownie not forgetting an Owner that is fully onboard.

I’m out of that loop with the Warriors where I pin my hopes on the next coach winning us the comp, it’s just an unrealistic expectation from where we we’re as a club.

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Nepotism is rife right across the Nrl, it’s by no means unique to the Warriors.

I’m taking the long term view here, it’s players that make coaches in most cases which is why I’m prepared to be patient with the club while we rebuild our junior pathways and recruit well. Cleary isn’t twice the coach now that he was at the Tigers he just has better cattle because of the good work done over the past 5-7 years by the Panthers as an organisation.

I think we’re well placed to grow the club from the ground up with Gus, POS and a development coach in Brownie not forgetting an Owner that is fully onboard.

I’m out of that loop with the Warriors where I pin my hopes on the next coach winning us the comp, it’s just an unrealistic expectation from where we we’re as a club.
I would laugh if we snared a super coach and discovered shock horror we are still losing games.

People need to wake up to the reality that the Warrriors are the only club in the competition with a Juniors system that turn out players who cannot understand the tactical side of Rugby League, because they have never been taught it, and cannot execute the fundamental skills well because they do not get taught those very well either.

If Bellamy was here he would realise he has to start from way behind the grid like Daniel Anderson and teach completions (Kearney to be fair has caught that up) superior wrestling, passing a ball from player A to player B, playing the ball properly, running lines properly, and lastly tactical play (somewhere in season two).

I guarantee you that if we had the Storms attack coach it would take them at least a year to get the Warriors to run the simplest of moves consistently well.....that is how long it took Cappy to teach the players to run smooth block plays.

The Warriors need a teaching coaching set up, not a tactical coaching set up. They also need to keep replacing locals with Aussie systems players in key roles to ever look anything like the teams that fans make these ridiculous comparisons with....especially the team we play this weekend.

Take RTS as an example, an amazing player who clearly never learned to read the attack and inject himself.

The Warriors need to stop buying these guys for the spine, buy people who you can coach without slowing down to teach the 101s.

Walsh and Aitken are the right kinds of buys for our backline, I like where we are headed. Both affordable, both can function in tactical moves.

PLayers like CHT need a lot of extra input, however we should go there and try, in some ways though, CHT probably really needs to go to Aussie where it would be a requirement of his development to learn to organize games, sadly this place for all the reasons I stated is not the best school for him.

Last edited:

Pricey

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 2, 2016
In regards To Fusitua I think he will come right a few years ago he was everyone in this forum including myself favourite player. Last year he had the birth of his first child does anyone here who is a father remember how difficult an adjustment that is in life, the late nights early mornings, the added responsibility of being responsible for other people. I also think he is a player that needs confidence if you listen to some of his interviews he still very young for his age.

Flaco

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 7, 2020
I would laugh if we snared a super coach and discovered shock horror we are still losing games.

People need to wake up to the reality that the Warrriors are the only club in the competition with a Juniors system that turn out players who cannot understand the tactical side of Rugby League, because they have never been taught it, and cannot execute the fundamental skills well because they do not get taught those very well either.

If Bellamy was here he would realise he has to start from way behind the grid like Daniel Anderson and teach completions (Kearney to be fair has caught that up) superior wrestling, passing a ball from player A to player B, playing the ball properly, running lines properly, and lastly tactical play (somewhere in season two).

I guarantee you that if we had the Storms attack coach it would take them at least a year to get the Warriors to run the simplest of moves consistently well.....that is how long it took Cappy to teach the players to run smooth block plays.

The Warriors need a teaching coaching set up, not a tactical coaching set up. They also need to keep replacing locals with Aussie systems players in key roles to ever look anything like the teams that fans make these ridiculous comparisons with....especially the team we play this weekend.

Take RTS as an example, an amazing player who clearly never learned to read the attack and inject himself.

The Warriors need to stop buying these guys for the spine, buy people who you can coach without slowing down to teach the 101s.

Walsh and Aitken are the right kinds of buys for our backline, I like where we are headed. Both affordable, both can function in tactical moves.

PLayers like CHT need a lot of extra input, however we should go there and try, in some ways though, CHT probably really needs to go to Aussie where it would be a requirement of his development to learn to organize games, sadly this place for all the reasons I stated is not the best school for him.
Good point, IMO. "The Warriors need a teaching coaching set up, not a tactical coaching set up." I heard a guy explain that a coach has to be so much more than a tactician. Even at NRL level, coaches who were once teachers seem to do better than average. If you cannot just buy up all the best players (and who can?), then you have teach those you've got. And teaching effectively involves another layer of skills: promoting internal motivation, answering questions with reasons, modelling excellence, giving and receiving feedback, staying cool under pressure, and a dozen other elements.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
As I’ve said, I’d appoint Flanagan in some capacity. He’s desperately looking for a coaching gig. But if he’s unpalatable still, there really are no better options available right now than Brownie. The struggles of SK, Barrett, O’Brien and TP is a reminder that good assistants typically don’t make for good head coaches - with a few notable exceptions.

For what it’s worth, I asked Smithy late last year who’d he’d pick to replace SK and he was adamant that Brownie was the man. Yes, Brownie and Smithy are mates. But he seemed genuine enough in his endorsement and felt that Nathan would be a calm head for the monumental rebuild ahead.
at the time Hook was looking for a gig. would you not rate a coach with his record ahead of Brown?

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Good point, IMO. "The Warriors need a teaching coaching set up, not a tactical coaching set up." I heard a guy explain that a coach has to be so much more than a tactician. Even at NRL level, coaches who were once teachers seem to do better than average. If you cannot just buy up all the best players (and who can?), then you have teach those you've got. And teaching effectively involves another layer of skills: promoting internal motivation, answering questions with reasons, modelling excellence, giving and receiving feedback, staying cool under pressure, and a dozen other elements.
And TBF brownie looks to be teaching the boys well.
Not a Craig Bellamy who has 9.9/10 standards and maintains them ala Gordon ramsey
But someone who can teach train and foster development

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this, he's not a distributor...he's a finisher...

Nathan Brown is doing OK so far....

Take Ivan Cleary, ask me years ago if he could take a team to a GF win and the answer was no. Could he do it at Penrith, maybe.

People need to remember, it's takes a good coach and a good team to win a comp, Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson have only won comps because they have good teams....Bennett and Newcastle is the prime example of this.

We are building into a good team, the better we become, the easier it will be to attract better players, increasing our chances for getting to a GF.

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
Not sure about the conjecture about Brown. He is doing ok especially with the injuries he has to contend with.

The talk of Flanagan no thanks...why was he punted from St.George.

To me he has too much history to get involved with the club. At least Brown is honest and is getting the team to play with ticker.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
They took drugs and cheated the cap, that's how the sharks won.

Before I do my rant:

Don't we realise the Warriors are getting - if they don't already have - a Coach Killer reputation and releasing Brown now is just going to add a Bonus Super Size (with fries and a free soft drink of your choice) helping of validity to that argument?

Let the man have his full first season at least. Apart from anything else, can the Warriors afford to kick Brown out early, what with severence deals, guaranteed bonuses etc etc that you can bet his manager, if he's any good, will have negotiated?

Rant time:

Swanley nailed my issue with Craig Bellamy - at least with the "cheated the cap" bit, not the drugs bit (as far as we know right now, anyway).

I'm not going to be sold on the Warriors getting Bellamy until he leaves Melbourne and takes over a lesser team and has the same consistent level of success there.

Yes, the Storm got busted for deliberately flouting the Salary Cap Rules and got their trophies and points taken off them, but did the NRL order that some of those players (the Smith, Cronk, Slater level) involved in the busting business (let's not believe the "I just leave that stuff to my manager" line, NRL players might not be candidates for Mensa, but they're not that simple, certainly when regarding money they get) had to be released? Nope. So, bummer, big black mark against their 2007 and 2009 premiership "wins" and their 2007-2008-2009 minor premiership "wins", but really, so what?

I'm once again nailing my colours to the Trent Robinson mast, if we're going after one of The Big Three. Yes, maybe he's doing well off the Roosters and their Salary Cap Sombrero (as per a Hindy and Fletch sketch from a couple of seasons back), but that's yet to be proven.

Last edited:

Last Game

02 May

24 - 20
6.5 Total Avg Rating
7.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 23 ratings