Nathan Brown 1.JPG
Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I am hopeful, but not convinced. I really really hope i have to eat my words at the end of this year, but if it werent for RTS the game sat, would have been very very different. Then the warriors would have been 1 for 3 and i just cant see RTS being able to prop the whole team up every week for the rest of this year. Ok they need time to Jell, but seriously why did they wait so long to pull the team together. I and many many other people picked the comp as running out of australia for at least the first 6 weeks this year back in October. As coach he should have had them together long before and then he wouldnt have this excuse.

I so want to be wrong about him, i just worry im not.
I think they did some preseason in Auckland to keep up appearances and promote ourselves as an Auckland team. Some of the players would have enjoyed the extra time with family.

The fact the Australian based players waited over there shows they all knew they were always going to be there at the start of the season.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I am hopeful, but not convinced. I really really hope i have to eat my words at the end of this year, but if it werent for RTS the game sat, would have been very very different. Then the warriors would have been 1 for 3 and i just cant see RTS being able to prop the whole team up every week for the rest of this year. Ok they need time to Jell, but seriously why did they wait so long to pull the team together. I and many many other people picked the comp as running out of australia for at least the first 6 weeks this year back in October. As coach he should have had them together long before and then he wouldnt have this excuse.

Simple answer to why players were in split camps came down to border restrictions and a shortened pre-season.

Don‘t get me wrong, the jury is out on Nathan Brown for me. Just dunno why I’m reading about halves and poor attack etc etc when the messaging has been pretty clear from the outset.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Simple answer to why players were in split camps came down to border restrictions and a shortened pre-season.

Don‘t get me wrong, the jury is out on Nathan Brown for me. Just dunno why I’m reading about halves and poor attack etc etc when the messaging has been pretty clear from the outset.
The players were already in Aus. I know they wanted desperately to be reunited with families and i dont deny they should have been allowed home. But they could easily have come back sooner. After all as soon as the comp was close here they were. So its not like they were being held out. They just had to isolate, yet again. In the end the shortened preseason was all about choices.

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
I am hopeful, but not convinced. I really really hope i have to eat my words at the end of this year, but if it weren't for RTS the game sat, would have been very very different. Then the warriors would have been 1 for 3 and i just cant see RTS being able to prop the whole team up every week for the rest of this year. Ok they need time to Jell, but seriously why did they wait so long to pull the team together. I and many many other people picked the comp as running out of Australia for at least the first 6 weeks this year back in October. As coach he should have had them together long before and then he wouldn't have this excuse.

There's a reason RTS in on 1.2m per season & it's for performances like he put in on the weekend. No I don't expect him to have to do that every week, but I do expect & he usually delivers more than your average Joe.
And I agree with Wiz, I think the 2 camps was inspired & while it may have put us slightly on the back foot at the start of the season I can see it paying dividends come the back half.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
There's a reason RTS in on 1.2m per season & it's for performances like he put in on the weekend. No I don't expect him to have to do that every week, but I do expect & he usually delivers more than your average Joe.
And I agree with Wiz, I think the 2 camps was inspired & while it may have put us slightly on the back foot at the start of the season I can see it paying dividends come the back half.
again, hope your right, i really want to be wrong

#robbiemears

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 1, 2015
Brownie, nice guy, good footy brain. But if I was running the Warriors, I’d suck it up and get Shane Flanagan onboard for 2022. He’s easily the best coach currently not in a head role. And we all know the guy has a win at all costs attitude. He’s served his time for his sins and he’s keen to coach again. He would put some mongrel back into the club. And it’s about time we had a premiership winner to instil a sense of awe amongst the players back into the head coach role.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Brownie, nice guy, good footy brain. But if I was running the Warriors, I’d suck it up and get Shane Flanagan onboard for 2022. He’s easily the best coach currently not in a head role. And we all know the guy has a win at all costs attitude. He’s served his time for his sins and he’s keen to coach again. He would put some mongrel back into the club. And it’s about time we had a premiership winner to instil a sense of awe amongst the players back into the head coach role.
I do really like Shane Flanagan, he's a tough character and think. Why not hire him now and have him in the assistant area for Justin Morgan?

Damo

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 11, 2019
5 rounds in and you already want to get rid of Browny? I suggest you all go watch Shaun Johnsons interview with Denan Kemp and realise how much of a hindrance it is to a team changing coaches willy nilly. It is not a recipe for success. Browny has managed to assemble a decent squad that would be competing if it were not for some unfortunate injuries to our marquee signings. Give the bloke a chance!

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
5 rounds in and you already want to get rid of Browny? I suggest you all go watch Shaun Johnsons interview with Denan Kemp and realise how much of a hindrance it is to a team changing coaches willy nilly. It is not a recipe for success. Browny has managed to assemble a decent squad that would be competing if it were not for some unfortunate injuries to our marquee signings. Give the bloke a chance!
Geez, forget about 5 rounds, I wanted him sacked after 5 minutes of getting announced as coach.
I'll keep bagging him because I dont rate him at all, but I agree that the long term injuries to key players this early in the season is just crazy so he should be give another year to show what he's got.

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
To all you Brown haters, suck it up! Let's get behind our coach, it's is the hardest coaching gig in the nrl and I admire him for taking the warriors on I really hope he can find a way to unlock this club.
Agree give him a chance, even though I thought Hook should have got the gig.
But I guess we would not have Gus on board.
Our squad is better than last year, can't understand why we let AK go, cover for back line.
The injury toll is not the coaches doing, maybe rule changes haven't helped.
Remember Brown had withdrawn his name from the coaching job but was asked after Payten pulled the pin very publicly.
Brown has publicly said fixing things is not going to happen in a season.
Maybe our winger David can medically retire that would help.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Agree give him a chance, even though I thought Hook should have got the gig.
But I guess we would not have Gus on board.
Our squad is better than last year, can't understand why we let AK go, cover for back line.
The injury toll is not the coaches doing, maybe rule changes haven't helped.
Remember Brown had withdrawn his name from the coaching job but was asked after Payten pulled the pin very publicly.
Brown has publicly said fixing things is not going to happen in a season.
Maybe our winger David can medically retire that would help.
Agree I think there was no way guys would consider coming here if we had hook. Griffen is showing what a decent coach he is though, loving what the Dragons are doing.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
Of the four main signings we have made under Brown, three of them are injured and Evans is just coming back from injury. Only Newcastle or Roosters would compare to our injury toll this season. We also had a horribly disjointed preseason with our players training over two countries.

The back line needs some changes, but at the moment he doesn’t really have the cattle to rejig things too much. Given that one one of Browns strengths is recruitment I’d hope we’ll have better backs for next season.

We need to be a lot better than we were on Friday, but I’m comfortable with how Brownie is doing for now.

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney Rate Match

Last Game

18 Apr

20 - 14
7.2 Total Avg Rating
7.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 4.9
    Peta Hiku

Compiled from 19 ratings