General MY LAST "HOHAIA FOR HALFBACK" THREAD

commonsense_old

bag me... i dont care. i decided to write this thread after reading an article. basically to sum it up lance hohaia came from promising young halfback (predicted to lead the kiwis in future years) to a player forced to play hooker not even in the starting 17.

since the beginning of the season we have failed to find 2 halves that can lead this team.

faumuina - cant really blame him... he is a backrower playing in the wrong position.
fien - crap kicking game, offers little in attack besides his individual run at the line.
ropati - no kicking game, no organisation skills. nothing but a simple ballrunner.
rovelli - probably the only light so far in our halves department. but still his kicking game is not up to NRL standards.

we have given 4 players a chance to stake their claim. none of them are convincing. yet lance hohaia is pretty set to play hooker still. honestly what is cleary thinking??? it is in hohaia's best interest AS WELL AS NZRL that he gets put in the no7 or at least no 6 jersey.
yeh sure lance would be a great hooker, cos of his quick feet and long passing game, but he would make a better halfback. this guy has a brilliant kicking game.

i see rovelli as a 5/8th, playing a similar role to benji marshall. limit his kicking game but throw him the ball and let him do what he does...

hohaia has shown in BC level, in nrl level and even in international level that he has what it takes to be a great halfback.

i think it would be best for lance if he switches club. play for the rabbitohs or go to england... go somewhere where the club will let you play your position. it would be for him and his country (cos lets face it stacey jones has no more than 2 years left in international footy).

theres one thing that you fans seem to be forgetting. HOHAIA AND ROVELLI ARE THE SAME AGE!!! the club decided to groom one player to be the future the no7. apparently they chose the aussie!!

im just venting. really frustrated after reading that article.
see i didnt care when hohaia was playing hooker last season. i always saw him as a halfback but as if you can replace the lil general. but this is a rebuilding season for the warriors. hohaia belongs in the halves...

------
Hohaia ready to meet Bulls
27 May 2006
By JOHN COFFEY

Lance Hohaia takes an important step towards rugby league rehabilitation when he plays hooker for the Waicoa Bay Stallions against the Canterbury Bulls at Rugby League Park tomorrow.

The former international stand-off half has been switched to hooker at the request of his New Zealand Warriors NRL club, which has decided that is where his future lies.

Still only 23, Hohaia enjoyed an outstanding rookie year in 2002 as the Warriors reached the NRL grand final and he made the first six of his seven test appearances.

It was then predicted Hohaia and Stacey Jones would be the Kiwis halves for years to come. That did not eventuate because of injuries to Hohaia and Jones's two-year "retirement" from 2003.

Last year, Jones was back at scrum-half and Hohaia given the vacant hooking role when New Zealand opened its Tri-Nations campaign with a resounding win over Australia in Sydney.

At that stage, Hohaia still had his eye on taking over from the French-bound Jones at scrum-half for club and country.

But while Jones stayed on to steer the Kiwis to their Tri-Nations triumph, Hohaia ruptured ligaments in his left ankle in Sydney and tore the ligaments of his right ankle coming back against England A.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has given Hohaia only three NRL games this season. Hohaia still sees himself as a half; Cleary regards him primarily as a hooker.

Hohaia's path back to the NRL became even tougher when new halfback pairing Grant Rovelli and Jerome Ropati and transplanted hooker Nathan Fien all impressed in the Warriors' win over Wests Tigers last Saturday.

The Stallions benefited from Hohaia's class early in the Bartercard Cup season, and tomorrow's game is his second after undergoing minor knee surgery.

"Lance has been great for us, even though it's been hard for him because he cannot train for us," said Waicoa Bay coach Hiki Rutene yesterday.

That changed last Thursday when Hohaia was released from Warriors duties to run with the Stallions. An instruction from Cleary arrived with Hohaia – that he revert to hooker.

"It is a Warriors request but it suits us. Lance is very quick out of dummy half and he's got a good, long pass. We want to try to get the ball wide of the big Canterbury forwards," said Rutene.

That meant splitting the Stallions' inside-back combination of Hohaia and Hayden Karena, a talented scrum-half who trialled with the North Queensland Cowboys in 2004.

Former national junior representative Issac John, 18, who has been with the Parramatta Eels for the past two years, replaces Hohaia at stand-off, and New Zealand Maori hooker Peter Prime moves to loose forward.

Waicoa Bay is missing its other full-time Warrior, Sam Rapira. The teenage prop made his debut against Wests Tigers and has gone to Sydney for tonight's match against the Cronulla Sharks. Captain and prop David Letele has played for North Sydney and in France, while fullback Te Teira Davis returns to the Stallions after scoring 10 tries in a club game last weekend.

Rutene was encouraged the Stallions shared the second-half points, 18-18, with the unbeaten Auckland Lions last week after trailing 4-38 at half-time.

"(Lions and Kiwis coach) Brian McClennan talked to us after the game and gave us a few tips. Canterbury plays a lot like the Lions, so that should help us this week," he said.

The Bulls will start favourites to extend their winning streak to six. But Waicoa Bay achieved big wins over Counties Manukau and Wellington, with Hohaia making the play and should be competitive.

Teams (kick-off 2.30pm):

Canterbury Bulls – Lusi Sione, Scott Hurrell, Donny Aitken, Lee Fidow, Lucas Tamakaha, Corey Lawrie, Duane Wineti, Vince Whare, Shane Beyers (c), Joseph Pombo, Blake Milner, Clinton Fraser, Jonny Limmer. Interchange: Ben Hurrell, Daniel Metcalf, Alex Timo, Ross Turi.

Waicoa Bay Stallions – Te Teira Davis, Mokonuiarangi McGrath, Karl Perry, Michael Stevens, Anaru Grant, Issac John, Hayden Karena, David Letele (c), Lance Hohaia, Shane Te Kura, Shea Brodrick, Simon Beale, Peter Prime. Interchange: Noah Rutene, Joshua David, Nicholas Standan, Michael Moore.

warriorfaithful*_old

I reckon hohia should be in the team but probably on the interchange. I mean i dont really no if ropati is a 5/8 and apart from 5/8 i duno where youd put him. This is how id do it tho(im no coach tho):

7 Rovelli
6 Fien
9Gatis
Interchange back= Hohia

patty_old

could give him the six but the 7 for me belongs to rovelli. unless he is going to step up and show us his 'potential' leave him where he is.

da mad maori

Tough words patty, and ones I have to agree with. If he wants to hold down a spot he has to deliver. Especially if its one of those "key" positions.

2big2strong_old

how can he deliver if he's playing out of position? DMM you're a painter, say you're with a construction team and it's your aim to become the 'head painter' of the crew. You want to push your claim for the job, but they tell you 'nah, you're not a painter, we see you as a tiler'
a bit hard to deliver when that's not the area you're wanting to impress in aye?

STRIDER_old

Hohaia see's himself as a half. Why the fu*K would they force away from his strength for already average halves?

commonsense_old

STRIDER said:
Hohaia see's himself as a half. Why the fu*K would they force away from his strength for already average halves?

exactly how i feel... at least im not alone with the frustration.

and reply to criticism refer to what 2black2strong said.

danco_old

lance has to be given a shot,hes had his time out of the warriors and i think we do need some direction and he knows how to kick,hope hes got his head all sorted out as he can be dynamite when he is on form.

Warrioraholic_old

Please put Hohia in 7!!!

Everyone keeps saying he hasnt delivered. But has Fien at 7, Roveli at 7, Sione at 6 or Jerome at 6 delivered?
No

Hiho has been made a scape goat, I bet stacey would put him in 7 if he picked the side

Trotbags_old

I would put money on lance disappearing to another club - hell I would if I'd been mucked around this much. Everyone knows the guy has talent, we know the current combinations aren't working so why are we using him?????? He couldn't be any worse than what we are currently doing.

MarkW_old

Yep, I agree. If Lance can't get a regular spot in the side this year he should be released. I'm sure there would be more than a few clubs that would be interested in signing him in the NRL and ESL.

Kaiaua krusher_old

I am amazed at the posts about Hohaia. Some say he was given 3 games to prove himself and he didn't turn up to play. In my opinion he was named for 3 games and out of a possibe 240mins of football would have been lucky to get half that time on the park.

We have been over his prefferred position and the position the Coaches want him to play. It might not have done his head space much good, but he still didn't make some of the dumbarse errors that those who are being selected do. Against the Storm he had a steady game but not up to his usual standard. Against the Eels again, steady but not spectacular, and in Hamilton there were a lot bloody worse on the Park including Webby and Manu! I think the game he had in Aussie was below par but that was the only one.

I know from reliable sources that despite everything he remains upbeat, has no intention of leaving the Club and has settled the issues of his playing position with Ivan and Bluey.

Forget about his future in the No 7 unless there is a big U turn from Ivan following Saturdays game.

MarkW_old

I'd like to see him stay too. But he needs to be in the 17 regularly for the sake of his career. My question for Cleary is 'do you have a place for him?' - if he dosn't, then another club will.
He's always had talent as a footballer, he just needs to be given a chance.

Bulldog_old

I've always said that Hohaia was the best No.7 on the Warriors' books. Its unfortunate for him that the coaching staff dont see it that way. Time will tell, and in particular the incumbent's performance for the rest of this season and possibly next season depending how things pan out.

Skinny_Ravs82

Lets say, for the sake of everyon here (me included even if you don't believe me) that Hohaia does get a shot @ halfback either this weekend or the weekend after or whenever..
Ok let us presume this scenario. He's given the chance and..

1- he takes the oppertunity and does all that's required and helps steer the side around..etc and they win (and win well) then what happens to the other guys? Like Rovelli, Ropati, Fein or Gatis. Now how would you squeeze them all around? (virtually impossible I'd say)

or

2- he doesn't exactly perform the way he could have/should have or as many expected.
Then what?

Bulldog_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Lets say, for the sake of everyon here (me included even if you don't believe me) that Hohaia does get a shot @ halfback either this weekend or the weekend after or whenever..
Ok let us presume this scenario. He's given the chance and..

1- he takes the oppertunity and does all that's required and helps steer the side around..etc and they win (and win well) then what happens to the other guys? Like Rovelli, Ropati, Fein or Gatis. Now how would you squeeze them all around? (virtually impossible I'd say)

or

2- he doesn't exactly perform the way he could have/should have or as many expected.
Then what?

My answers to your hypothetical situations are quite simple:

1. He then remains at No.7, with Rovelli to either at standoff or off the bench. Gatis or Fien at No.9. No one player has a right of ownership to a particular position, and if they dont perform, then they should not be in the starting 17.

2. See No.1 above.

commonsense_old

im a big fan of brian mclennan.

but one thing i dont understand is, he complains that besides stacey jones we dont have any halfbacks. it is true... we dont. i dont see why mclennan doesnt see that hohaia is a future halfback. he should be pushing the warriors to groom him into a quality halfback. the only other options we got for halfback are thomas leuleui, jeremy smith and marcus pernera.

ivan cleary needs to wash his league brain a bit. and dont tell me cleary is coach and he knows best blah blah blah. cleary thought sione would make a great standoff.... fans knew from the start it was a stupid move and knew he would end up at lock. cleary stamped fien as stacey's replacement at halfback..... fien now at hooker where we fans knew he belonged.

Skinner_old

commonsense said:
im a big fan of brian mclennan.

but one thing i dont understand is, he complains that besides stacey jones we dont have any halfbacks. it is true... we dont. i dont see why mclennan doesnt see that hohaia is a future halfback. he should be pushing the warriors to groom him into a quality halfback. the only other options we got for halfback are thomas leuleui, jeremy smith and marcus pernera.

ivan cleary needs to wash his league brain a bit. and dont tell me cleary is coach and he knows best blah blah blah. cleary thought sione would make a great standoff.... fans knew from the start it was a stupid move and knew he would end up at lock. cleary stamped fien as stacey's replacement at halfback..... fien now at hooker where we fans knew he belonged.

McClennan is not pushing because he knows Lancey boy is not a half-back.
Never has been and never will be. The other three you mention are city
blocks ahead of him, both in terms of skills and attitude - team attitude.