General Movie Thread

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Big movie fan, in fact went all out and built a bat cave theatre room with 140” JVC 4k projector setup which doubles as game-day viewing for Warriors games.

Some Great War films already mentioned, I’ll throw in a few here too - can’t go past Apocalypse Now & Lawrence of Arabia for epic wide screen viewing but a few of forgotten gems worth a watch are Rescue Dawn, The Hurt Locker, Fury and Three Kings.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Jeez you are old!!!!....but yes a very good movie, maybe ahead of its time. David Lean was a brilliant director.
Grew up through the Spielberg generation. Jaws, ET, Raiders etc so movie buff from an early age. Yep, Lawrence of Arabia is a classic and worth a watch every few years or so.

Reactions: Sup42 and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
It wasn’t you scrapping with him in an Auckland nightclub was it? According to his wiki page he acted the dick, got into a fight and ended up in prison for a month.
No it wasn't me, but I did get to meet him. I couldn't get over what a slight little dude he was to cause so much trouble. I guess Glasgow breeds them tough.

There were two incidents, the second involved Elton John as well as Reid. It was at Tommy Adderly's nightclub Grandpas near Durham Lane. It was the haunt of serious musos, with good behaviour. The Police never got called there. It had such a good atmosphere that the touring rock bands e.g. Rolling Stones used to go there on tour and sometimes jam all night.

Anyway, from the horses mouth, Judith Baragwanath tells the story as follows:

• Wow
Reactions: Worried2Death

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Big movie fan, in fact went all out and built a bat cave theatre room with 140” JVC 4k projector setup which doubles as game-day viewing for Warriors games.

Some Great War films already mentioned, I’ll throw in a few here too - can’t go past Apocalypse Now & Lawrence of Arabia for epic wide screen viewing but a few of forgotten gems worth a watch are Rescue Dawn, The Hurt Locker, Fury and Three Kings.
You forgot

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
just watched "the highwaymen" really enjoyed it. The story of the guys who killed Bonnie and Clyde. its on Netflix
Excellent movie. There was a Bonnie and Clyde one from years back, a bit flasher but less historically accurate than this one.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highwaymen_(film)

Reactions: gREVUS

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The Great Escape - another classic with a stellar cast.
I love the war movies from this era. Back then instead of just listing the names in the credits they would show clips of the characters from the movie when showing the actors name. Makes the cast seem a bit bigger with so many featured prominently in the end credits.

The Devil's Brigade is a good one. They get a platoon from the US and I think the second one is from Canada or the UK and they have to team up to take a mountain. The US half is a bunch of rejects while the other half is a disciplined unit.

Where Eagles Dare with Clint Eastwood.

The Guns of Navarone is another one I enjoyed.

I think the oldest war movie I've seen is The Young Lions from 1958 with Marlon Brando. From memory the two main characters went out with the same woman and it follows them through the war. A bit different as it follows the story from both sides.

I went through a lot of old war movies about 10 years ago as I'd buy them for my father for Christmas.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I love the war movies from this era. Back then instead of just listing the names in the credits they would show clips of the characters from the movie when showing the actors name. Makes the cast seem a bit bigger with so many featured prominently in the end credits.

The Devil's Brigade is a good one. They get a platoon from the US and I think the second one is from Canada or the UK and they have to team up to take a mountain. The US half is a bunch of rejects while the other half is a disciplined unit.

Where Eagles Dare with Clint Eastwood.

The Guns of Navarone is another one I enjoyed.

I think the oldest war movie I've seen is The Young Lions from 1958 with Marlon Brando. From memory the two main characters went out with the same woman and it follows them through the war. A bit different as it follows the story from both sides.

I went through a lot of old war movies about 10 years ago as I'd buy them for my father for Christmas.
Awesome! Yeah some great old war movies there bro. The young Lions, Brando, I’ll have to give it a watch. There are plenty that are long forgotten too yet still manage to stand up well today because the Genre doesn’t really date like Sci-fi/fantasy does.

I watched Seven Samurai again a few weeks ago, black & white from 1954 but still a great watch.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Jeez you are old!!!!....but yes a very good movie, maybe ahead of its time. David Lean was a brilliant director.
One of my favourites is David Lean. I have a boxed set of his early movies including things like The Sound Barrier. Also Hobson’s Choice, which is a brilliant film. The outdoor scenes were filmed in a very grim looking Salford, the park where the two go on their first date is here
https://www.salford.gov.uk/parks-and-open-spaces/salford-parks/peel-park-salford/heritage/

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings