General Movie Thread

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Rocketman and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Both really good films even though someone like me who was a teenager in the 70’s noticed the chronology was out of kilter.

Bohemian Rhapsody of course completely ignored that Queen playing Live Aid was quite conterversial as, unlike the clarion call at the time, they often said "we are gonna play Sun City".

Haven't done the comparison myself, but I read that the cast and crew went to incredible lengths to make sure the film version of the Live Aid performance matched the actual version as much as possible.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Bohemian Rhapsody of course completely ignored that Queen playing Live Aid was quite conterversial as, unlike the clarion call at the time, they often said "we are gonna play Sun City".

Haven't done the comparison myself, but I read that the cast and crew went to incredible lengths to make sure the film version of the Live Aid performance matched the actual version as much as possible.
The Live Aid sequence was very good. A decent film generally, although I much preferred Rocketman as a film.

Queen were a decent band up to A Day at the Races which was a good album, after that they were largely rubbish imho. Took themselves a bit too seriously as well. By Live Aid I thought they were a bit of a Karaoke act

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
The Live Aid sequence was very good. A decent film generally, although I much preferred Rocketman as a film.

Queen were a decent band up to A Day at the Races which was a good album, after that they were largely rubbish imho. Took themselves a bit too seriously as well. By Live Aid I thought they were a bit of a Karaoke act
I'd rather listen to wasted Bob, Keith and Ronny Wood butcher the grand finale than Queen at Live Aid.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
just watched "the highwaymen" really enjoyed it. The story of the guys who killed Bonnie and Clyde. its on Netflix
I saw that and agree it is a really good film. I saw a Russian one on youtube, subtitled but I thought a good watch, called the Star. About Russian WW2 recconnaisance Scouts, just type in star lebedev will bring it up.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

'Crazy little thing called love' was apparently the inspiration for John Lennon to start playing and recording again. Not a bad thing.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
just watched a film/doco on Andre the Giant, was on SBS last night. A bit of new stuff for me about him, but mostly it was just the nostalga of watching old heros and shows i may or may not have seen 30 years ago. Overall gave it a big tick.

Reactions: snake77 and Rizzah

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012

Thought they were brilliant thru the 70s upto The game album. Freddie went a bit off the rails after that and their 80s stuff lost the creative edge of their earlier work.

Regardless tho they we're all brilliant musicians/songwriters and their live act always gave them the edge over most others as highlighted in Live Aid where they blew everyone else off the stage......and when Freddie was on form.....u didnt have to be a fan to realize this bugger can sing.

Tbh i always thought they we're one band who never took themselves too seriously......Flash Gordon is a brilliant pisstake, mock operatics, and their dressing in drag for the I want to break free video actually killed their career in The States.

Wasnt a fan of the movie when it came out but once i got over that these biopics are never going to be time accurate its actually a pretty good watch 2nd or 3rd go around.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Thought they were brilliant thru the 70s upto The game album. Freddie went a bit off the rails after that and their 80s stuff lost the creative edge of their earlier work.

Regardless tho they we're all brilliant musicians/songwriters and their live act always gave them the edge over most others as highlighted in Live Aid where they blew everyone else off the stage......and when Freddie was on form.....u didnt have to be a fan to realize this bugger can sing.

Tbh i always thought they we're one band who never took themselves too seriously......Flash Gordon is a brilliant pisstake, mock operatics, and their dressing in drag for the I want to break free video actually killed their career in The States.

Wasnt a fan of the movie when it came out but once i got over that these biopics are never going to be time accurate its actually a pretty good watch 2nd or 3rd go around.
I’ve got Queen II, Opera and Races. Not too keen on the other albums

Reactions: Boats n Hoes

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Freddie is on that top level of front men, along with Mick Jagger and Roger Daltrey. He was a performer who loved the spotlight. Great humour as well.

Reactions: Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Freddie is on that top level of front men, along with Mick Jagger and Roger Daltrey. He was a performer who loved the spotlight. Great humour as well.
Not a very good film but some of the Ken Russell production Tommy was filmed near where I lived as a kid. Daltrey runs along the seafront at one point singing ‘I’m Free’, filmed at a place called St Bees where my mates and I would hang out during the school holidays.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Not a very good film but some of the Ken Russell production Tommy was filmed near where I lived as a kid. Daltrey runs along the seafront at one point singing ‘I’m Free’, filmed at a place called St Bees where my mates and I would hang out during the school holidays.

Bonkers Ken Russell lived in the Lakes then, near Keswick which wasn’t too far away either

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

Agree, I thought Quadraphenia was far better. As far as front men go I saw Graham Nash saying recently that Allan Clarke from the Hollies should be regarded up there as well. Certainly a strong distinctive voice in an under rated band in my opinion.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings