General Movie Thread

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
I have a knack of picking plot twists or where a story is going to go. Really killed my appreciation of Knives Out unfortunately. Fun movie but really felt too obvious.

After that and Rian Johnson's previous effort (The Last Jedi) I have really started to doubt the dude.

Reactions: Lenrat and matiunz

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
Absolutely yes, but be warned that the second half of the movie will be a head-scratcher where you'll ask what really happened at the mid-point (you'll know it when you see it).
Hahaha you're not wrong, I thought finding the bucket of milk was weird, but then I thought the film had skipped like CDs use to do when he woke up.

pbrown01123

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 12, 2018
If you're interested in that whole story about how what was basically Mexican peasant farmers growing opium poppies for subsistence money in the 50's became what it is today, Don Winslow wrote a superb ( fictional ) trilogy based on an El Chapo-like villain/kingpin. The Power of the Dog ( 2005 ) The Cartel
( 2015 ) and The Border ( 2018 ). Highly recommended.

From the soundtrack of Savages ( another Don Winslow book )....

¿ Quien es el Patron?

Reactions: Off The Bench

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
A couple in the War genre that i really enjoyed recently
- 13 hours The secret soldiers of Benghazi and Kilo two bravo (brutal!)

Reactions: Sup42

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I have a knack of picking plot twists or where a story is going to go. Really killed my appreciation of Knives Out unfortunately. Fun movie but really felt too obvious.

After that and Rian Johnson's previous effort (The Last Jedi) I have really started to doubt the dude.

The Americans have always been shit at doing satire. Compare the English and American versions of "Death At A Funeral" as an example. Also, although obviously it was a success given how many seasons it had, the American version of "The Office" didn't match the English version's "is this actually real?" sensation.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
The Americans have always been shit at doing satire. Compare the English and American versions of "Death At A Funeral" as an example. Also, although obviously it was a success given how many seasons it had, the American version of "The Office" didn't match the English version's "is this actually real?" sensation.
The Americans seem to do horrors the best, says a lot. American horror story is a good watch. Each season is different but they all tie in together in some way. Some weird shit.

Reactions: Sup42

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Hacksaw Ridge is a good one.

Soldier goes to war.
Wont use a gun because of his faith.
Goes through bullying,official stand overs.
Loses respect.

That's just part of it.
That movie is awesome. Such a good watch and his heroics changed American military enlistment procedure. Outstanding individual.

Extraction is the latest one I watched. Its nuts. In a good way. Love the recent long shot one take fight scenes. Just holds your attention and excitement for much longer...

Reactions: Weno and Viking

t-wade23

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 7, 2012
So over the lockdown I watched a lot of movies but particularly my fav genre Heist movies.

So watched Heat again for 100th time watched the Town which was really good imo underrated Affleck film and Ronin however I stumbled upon a movie that has come out recently and watched it

Den Of Thieves

Man what a fun movie that was is obvious Heat ripoff (I think homage is better) but i really enjoyed it the main actors really good in their roles Gerard Butler and Pablo Schriber (Liev half brother) and O’Shea Jackson Jr was fantastic I thought the two hours or so breezed past for me much more so than Heat which can drag.

Heat is a all time classic no doubt but in terms of just a fun movie Den of Thieves is one my favs recently not saying it’s better than Heat but just a more fun movie.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Two things I lost interest in are movies with subtitles, and black and white films.

So last night I finally got around to watching the Seven Samurai from the nineteen fifties, the film so many in Hollywood fuss over as the prototype to the spaghetti western genre.

It was an interesting experience.

While the plot is very familiar having been ripped off by the magnificent seven, that is where familiarity ends and Dorothy leaves Kansas.

The most compelling thing about watching that film, apart from the off putting shouting that is in every Japanese film of that ilk, is that at some point you really do feel like you are in Japan in the 1600s...that is probably the best thing about it imo...that suspension of disbelief...amazing in a black and white older film in this day and age.

It is very long, but once you settle in, you feel like you have to get the reward of watching the story come to a satisfying conclusion.

I can see how pre Westerns it blew the Yanks minds.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
So over the lockdown I watched a lot of movies but particularly my fav genre Heist movies.

So watched Heat again for 100th time watched the Town which was really good imo underrated Affleck film and Ronin however I stumbled upon a movie that has come out recently and watched it

Den Of Thieves

Man what a fun movie that was is obvious Heat ripoff (I think homage is better) but i really enjoyed it the main actors really good in their roles Gerard Butler and Pablo Schriber (Liev half brother) and O’Shea Jackson Jr was fantastic I thought the two hours or so breezed past for me much more so than Heat which can drag.

Heat is a all time classic no doubt but in terms of just a fun movie Den of Thieves is one my favs recently not saying it’s better than Heat but just a more fun movie.
If you like heist movies try and catch a film called The Killing. An old b and w film about a robbery at a race track, the directorial debut of Stanley Kubrick. Used the same mixed up plot timing technique that Tarantino used in Pulp Fiction. Great film tbh

pbrown01123

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 12, 2018
If you like heist movies try and catch a film called The Killing. An old b and w film about a robbery at a race track, the directorial debut of Stanley Kubrick. Used the same mixed up plot timing technique that Tarantino used in Pulp Fiction. Great film tbh

Spoiler Alert!

at quarter to three on the afternoon of the 16th July Patrick Brown was sitting down to watch a film he'd planned on seeing since the TV schedules came out four days earlier, his wife's to-do list ringing in his ears but - as usual - ignored.
Less than half an hour earlier that same day, pbrown01123 had been idly wandering through the nzwarriors fans forum when he spotted a post exhorting him to watch exactly that film.
Two hours later Patrick was reflecting on the strange coincidence that had occurred and wishing, yet again, that that mangy poodle had run the other way and Johnny and his girl could fly off into the sunset together.

ps dialogue by the great Jim Thompson one of the best pulp-noir writers ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off The Bench

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Spoiler Alert!

at quarter to three on the afternoon of the 16th July Patrick Brown was sitting down to watch a film he'd planned on seeing since the TV schedules came out four days earlier, his wife's to-do list ringing in his ears but - as usual - ignored.
Less than half an hour earlier that same day, pbrown01123 had been idly wandering through the nzwarriors fans forum when he spotted a post exhorting him to watch exactly that film.
Two hours later Patrick was reflecting on the strange coincidence that had occurred and wishing, yet again, that that mangy poodle had run the other way and Johnny and his girl could fly off into the sunset together.

ps dialogue by the great Jim Thompson one of the best pulp-noir writers ever.
Think was on Film4 last weekend which is when I recorded it, it’s about 10 years since I last saw it. Assuming it’s on again from your post. Film 4 tend to repeat showings over a few weeks

Some of the old films and TV series on Talking Pictures (channel 328 if you have sky) can be pretty good. Prefer them to the modern stuff tbh

Recorded Zulu as well, not sure how PC it is this week like

pbrown01123

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 12, 2018
Think was on Film4 last weekend which is when I recorded it, it’s about 10 years since I last saw it. Assuming it’s on again from your post. Film 4 tend to repeat showings over a few weeks

Some of the old films and TV series on Talking Pictures (channel 328 if you have sky) can be pretty good. Prefer them to the modern stuff tbh

Recorded Zulu as well, not sure how PC it is this week like
So, do I ( prefer the old films ) I always look for TPTV. We have a sky receiver but no subscription. sony movies classic can have the odd good film on as well. Unfortunately, the best films always seem to be on TCM which is subscription.

Reactions: Hardyman's Yugo

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
just watched "the highwaymen" really enjoyed it. The story of the guys who killed Bonnie and Clyde. its on Netflix

Reactions: Lenrat

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Sean Connery a true legend of the move industry.

I never used to like older movies but started watching movies from the 60's with his Bond movies. Then got into a lot of old war movies. During the lockdown when Sky opened up the movie channels I watched A Bridge too Far which is another good Connery movie.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings