General Movie Thread

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Prefer tv shows atm but i did watch uncut gems netflix movie Adam Sandler but not how you expect him good watch and probably his best role ever
Good for you. It drove me nuts and I turned off. Good ratings though.
I'm not a movie buff but watched The Irishman twice. Cream of actors, organised crime and labour and betrayal. Joe Pesci is fantastic.
That was a weird story. So people knew what happened to him all along.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
It’s a show I really want to like but I’ve tried twice and haven’t been able to stick with it more than a few episodes
I agree you have to watch it carefully, blink and you miss something. I was told to watch it by a mate years ago and I couldn't be bothered. When I paid attention I really enjoyed it. Would never do a rerun though. It is not that type of crime movie...
Sicario on the other hand I could watch again and again it is so good...Emily Blunt (another Pom) is absolutely impeccable in her role. She was so good they couldn't manage to write her into Sicario 2, and it really showed.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Thinking of booking 1917 tonight, is it worth it ?

Absolutely yes, but be warned that the second half of the movie will be a head-scratcher where you'll ask what really happened at the mid-point (you'll know it when you see it).

Reactions: bruce

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Like most of Stephen Kings work it doesn’t translate as well to the screen, nowhere near as disturbing as the book that’s for sure

Apparantly the film version of The Mist is regarded as one of the better adaptations. With a much grittier ending, too.

I actually found in the end King's short stories could be more freaky than his novels.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Prefer tv shows atm but i did watch uncut gems netflix movie Adam Sandler but not how you expect him good watch and probably his best role ever
I wasn't a fan, but that's only because that kind of plot ain't my thing.

That aside it is a well made, compelling drama, and defo Sandlers best.

Horses for courses, many will love it.

Reactions: bruce

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Apparantly the film version of The Mist is regarded as one of the better adaptations. With a much grittier ending, too.

I actually found in the end King's short stories could be more freaky than his novels.
And I've found his non horror genre novels are far superior to his horrors.
He can do weird without horror really well too, the Gunslinger series is very surreal.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
He can do weird without horror really well too, the Gunslinger series is very surreal.

oh man, i loved those gunslinger books, even if the ending is a cop out, like 4000 pages to get to that.

heard the movie they made of it was awful, didn't get past looking at the trailer.

been watching some of last years releases with the wife, so not just guns and drugs epics.

Knives Out is very entertaining, i didn't really get what Taiki Waititi was going for in JoJo Rabbit, yes the Nazis were bad, not every German was too, people are aware of that. Bombshell was good, but you'd get more out of it actually being an american familiar with the real life versions of the characters.

saving the irishman for a rainy day, should just bite the bullet and don't let the running time put me off.

i see the new(ish) mission impossible popped up on netflix today, looking forward to that.

Reactions: matiunz and Sup42

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
saving the irishman for a rainy day, should just bite the bullet and don't let the running time put me off.
It is a good watch, if for no other reason how Jimmy Hoffa disappeared has been a genuine mystery. It was a trifle slow though, I enjoyed it but wouldn't do a rerun.

The interesting thing for me is how those movies make those psychopaths look human, the Godfather started that. The reality is they are stone cold blooded killers, with nothing to like about at all.

I am really enjoying Escaping Escobar because they have got to that stage where they are really dishing Popeye and showing what a c$$t he really was (he died this year). At the same time his charming side is showing still and proving to be dangerously fake. A good watch.

Reactions: eudebrito and Sup42

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
oh man, i loved those gunslinger books, even if the ending is a cop out, like 4000 pages to get to that.

heard the movie they made of it was awful, didn't get past looking at the trailer.

been watching some of last years releases with the wife, so not just guns and drugs epics.

Knives Out is very entertaining, i didn't really get what Taiki Waititi was going for in JoJo Rabbit, yes the Nazis were bad, not every German was too, people are aware of that. Bombshell was good, but you'd get more out of it actually being an american familiar with the real life versions of the characters.

i see the new(ish) mission impossible popped up on netflix today, looking forward to that.

I got 5 or 6 books deep into the Gunslinger before I got bored as shit. Love the premise and the world, but Steven King can get pretty lost in his own shit sometimes.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

Some of his Later stuff like the Mr Mercedes trilogy and the outsider showed he could do the crime genre very well too,probably would have been even stronger if he left out some of the supernatural stuff that occur later too

Reactions: Sup42

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I got 5 or 6 books deep into the Gunslinger before I got bored as shit. Love the premise and the world, but Steven King can get pretty lost in his own shit sometimes.
Yep that’s my biggest complaint is the guy struggles with endings, his sons work is similar too

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Good light entertainment film on sky great movies at 830 called the ninth gate with Johnny Depp. Bit of a thriller about the devil.

Reactions: Sup42

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013

I think I read them at the right age, there is a fairly serious lurch from the first 1 which is so minimalist to the next 2 and the later ones where this shit has to get resolved and it just starts to unwind and fall apart.

Speaking of Stephen king the new(ISH) IT was good, not a fan of horror movies, but it's well done. The book is batshit insane, they left the crazier parts out of the movie

Reactions: Sup42 and matiunz

pbrown01123

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 12, 2018
Seen it and its great. If its to do with Pablo and its on Netflix I have seen it all. I'm officially Escobar and cocained out. Watched way too much of it but I will watch any future episodes of Narcos which is a fantastic series...
If you're interested in that whole story about how what was basically Mexican peasant farmers growing opium poppies for subsistence money in the 50's became what it is today, Don Winslow wrote a superb ( fictional ) trilogy based on an El Chapo-like villain/kingpin. The Power of the Dog ( 2005 ) The Cartel
( 2015 ) and The Border ( 2018 ). Highly recommended.

Reactions: Rizzah

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings