playdaball_old

On a serious note thoughts go out to Whitehaven's Garry Purdham's family ... RIP

https://www.rugbyleague.com/rugby-league-news/rugby-league-mourns-garry-purdham.html

The game of Rugby League is today mourning the loss of former player Garry Purdham who was killed in Wednesday's mass-shooting incident in West Cumbria.

Garry Purdham - the elder brother of England international and Harlequins skipper Rob Purdham - was said to have been shot by taxi driver Derrick Bird, during the horrendous sequence of events which unfolded.

The former Whitehaven and Workington Town forward leaves a family with two young children.

Tributes to Garry Purdham have begun to come in from the Rugby League community.

Harlequins RL have released a statement from chairman, David Hughes:

"The thoughts of everyone at the club are with the Purdham family at this terrible time, and all those affected by yesterday's tragic events in Cumbria."

Meanwhile, David Bowden - the chairman of Workington Town, told the club's official website: "Everyone at the club is shocked and devastated to hear this unbelievable and tragic news.

"Garry Purdham was quite simply a gentleman and a real pleasure to know.

"As a player he was as honest and industrious on the pitch as indeed he was off it.

"He would think nothing of doing a stint on the farm before turning up to play professional rugby league.

"He had a wonderful, calm and mature temperament coupled with a dry sense of humour and as a result was one of those players that his team mates looked up to.

"He had the respect of the whole rugby league community in West Cumbria, and will be missed by all involved in it.

"Our thoughts and very much with all Garry's family at this very sad time".

Meanwhile, the RFL has added its voice to the condolences.

Its statement reads, "The RFL has sent its deepest sympathy and condolences to the family of former professional Rugby League player Garry Purdham who was killed yesterday in Whitehaven.

"Garry Purdham, 31, was most recently a player with local community side Egremont Rangers and a former professional with Whitehaven and Workington Town.

"The RFL's Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: We are extremely shocked and saddened to hear of the tragic events which occurred yesterday in Whitehaven and surrounding areas.

"Clearly a great number of Rugby League people will be personally affected by these truly awful circumstances.

"The thoughts of everyone at the RFL and within the Rugby League family are with the Purdham family and with the local West Cumbrian community at this difficult time."

cornelius_sulla_old

I'm a big Motu Tony fan, and happy to see him back in the code. Go Moots you little bewdy!

Swanley_old

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats sign Motu Tony​

Motu Tony

Tony was a Challenge Cup winner in 2005 with Hull FC
Wakefield have signed former New Zealand international full-back Motu Tony on a one-year deal.
The 29-year-old, who has Super League experience with Castleford and Hull FC, was at Whitehaven last season.
Wildcats head coach John Kear said: "I have worked with Motu at Hull FC and am delighted that I have the chance to do so again.
"His versatility on the field and international experience will add great depth to our squad."
Tony, who played in the NRL for New Zealand Warriors, had a trial with union side Nottingham in the summer.
"I am very grateful for the opportunity I've been given to prove myself again," he said.
"I can't wait to get on the field with the Wildcats and I'm eager to start training with the boys and begin the season."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/wakefield/9135918.stm

good to see, a shame he left us.

Last edited by a moderator:
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
I see he is now CEO of NZ baseball ... ironic that NZRL CEO is about to resign / be sacked. Maybe somebody like Motu would have been the ideal candidate? He has a passion for the game, has played at the highest level ( NRL/ Internationals - not SOO) and was successful At Hull FC .

Reactions: Baxendale and Sup42

Baxendale

I see he is now CEO of NZ baseball ... ironic that NZRL CEO is about to re-sign / be sacked. Maybe somebody like Motu would have been the ideal candidate? He has a passion for the game, has played at the highest level ( NRL/ Internationals - not SOO) and was successful At Hull FC .

Motu did a really good job here as General/Football Manager. He played a big part in getting the club back to a decent standing in the UK

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I see he is now CEO of NZ baseball ... ironic that NZRL CEO is about to re-sign / be sacked. Maybe somebody like Motu would have been the ideal candidate? He has a passion for the game, has played at the highest level ( NRL/ Internationals - not SOO) and was successful At Hull FC .
I missed something. I thought he was working for the Warriors.

Miket12

Miket12

I forgot, that was in Doyle's time wasn't it.:rolleyes:
No, it was rumoured by The Mole in November of last year that Tony was to be signed by the Warriors to take over recruitment from Iro. Instead, recruitment hasn’t been filled and is currently being looked after by Smith. Doyle was replaced by George before any of this happened.

But let’s not get the facts get in the way of your dislike of Doyle.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
No, it was rumoured by The Mole in November of last year that Tony was to be signed by the Warriors to take over recruitment from Iro. Instead, recruitment hasn’t been filled and is currently being looked after by Smith. Doyle was replaced by George before any of this happened.
My bad, somehow I thought the Mole got something right:rolleyes:...so Smith is in charge of recruiting as well? He isn't going to have much spare time.

snake77

snake77

My bad, somehow I thought the Mole got something right:rolleyes:...so Smith is in charge of recruiting as well? He isn't going to have much spare time.
Understand Smith being busy but not having much spare time as there is a lot to do at the club. He's probably used to it being a former NRL coach. He would have been one of those first to arrive and leave at weird hours, otherwise working from home.

Good to see Motu Tony doing well in terms of a post football career. Also a different path to the usual work in the media, or coaching. Some of those are jobs for the boys, moving to the business side and doing well. Good to see.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
It is only a temporary stand in job so he will be available again before too long. They might not even have heard of him. The NZRL seems to be run from Christchurch these days.
Of course they have heard of him lol. Real question is can they afford him...

Reactions: bruce
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
90. MOTU TONY
Last update

Motu Tony was General Manager of Football at Hull FC during our last visit but is these days the General Manager for High Performance with New Zealand RugbyLeague (NZRL)...

MOTU TONY APPOINTED GM HIGH PERFORMANCE​

4M3I2NS image crop 131035

The New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) would like to announce the appointment of the new General Manager for High Performance, Kiwi #686 Motu Tony.

Today, Tony begins his new role after stepping down from his recently appointed position as NZRL Independent Board Director to put his expertise to work on the organisation’s senior management team.

Motu Tony brings almost 20 years of experience in professional sport to the role. His playing career included 13 Tests for the Kiwis between 2001 and 2006 winning the 2005 Tri-Nations, alongside stints with the New Zealand Warriors and Super League’s Hull FC.

Of recent, he has attained board experience with Baseball New Zealand, the New Zealand Rugby Union ‘Navigating Two Worlds’ Advisory Panel, the Rugby Football League Disciplinary Review Panel Committee and Hull FC Super League Limited to name a few. In addition to this, he recently finished his term as the Acting Chief Executive Officer at Baseball New Zealand following a successful tenure as the General Manager of Football Operations at Hull FC Super League.

At Hull FC, Tony led their high performance programme which included the responsibilities of recruiting and retaining both players and staff, as well as the financial management of a live salary cap. Tony left Hull FC in 2017 to return to New Zealand after the club had won consecutive Challenge Clubs (2016 and 2017) and re-established itself as one of the premiere clubs in the Super League.

Greg Peters, Chief Executive of the NZRL is pleased to have someone of Motu Tony’s high-performance expertise joining his staff during this exciting period of reinvigoration for the organisation.

“He has almost 20 years of experience in sports leadership as an athlete, administrator and Director (both Executive and Non-Executive). The fact that he has also pulled on the Kiwis jersey is another feather in his cap and will provide insights from unique sides of the spectrum.

“I’m confident Motu will be a great addition to our team as we look to review the draft strategic plan,” Peters says.

The NZRL Board will be looking to identify a suitable replacement for Motu Tony on the Board with someone who has the requisite high performance experience.

Bio:

2018 Interim Chief Executive Officer, Baseball New Zealand

2013-2017 General Manager of Football Operations, Hull FC Super League Limited

New Zealand Kiwis Rugby League 2001 – 2006

• 13 Tests
  • Selection for UK Tours in 2002, 2004 and 2005
  • 2005 Tri-nations Winner, 24-0 vs Australia. First time Kiwis had defeated Australia in a Test series in 50 years
  • 2006 Tri-nations Grand Finalist
Professional Rugby League Player 2001 – 2012

• Wakefield Wildcats
  • Hull FC Super League Limited
  • Castleford Tigers Super League, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
  • Brisbane Broncos, NRL, Australia
  • New Zealand Warriors, NRL, New Zealand
Board experience

• 2018 – Present Baseball New Zealand
  • 2018 – Present New Zealand Rugby Union ‘Navigating Two Worlds’ Advisory Panel
  • 2017 – Rugby Football League Disciplinary Review Panel Committee
  • 2017 – Hull Rugby League Participation Committee
  • 2016 -2017 – City of Hull Rugby League Academy Board of Directors
  • 2014 -2017 – Hull Super League Limited Board of Directors

Reactions: bruce