General MOST EXCITING 2023 PROSPECTS

Warriorshopeful

Hello fellow warriors fans. Just wondering who you are most excited about seeing play in 2023.

Who do we think is going to perform best/ improve the most?

Personally I'm quite excited to see how Barnett impacts the squad. His high effort I saw at Knights going back repeatedly for tackles looked good and I think he could be very threatening on our squad close to the opposition score line.

tr73

tr73

Hello fellow warriors fans. Just wondering who you are most excited about seeing play in 2023.

Who do we think is going to perform best/ improve the most?

Personally I'm quite excited to see how Barnett impacts the squad. His high effort I saw at Knights going back repeatedly for tackles looked good and I think he could be very threatening on our squad close to the opposition score line.
In those early pictures he looked like he had turned up very fit. We need his intensity and attitude in Defence.
Te Mare Martin after all he has been through has so much to offer. I am hopeful he will find good form and be the natural halves leader we have been missing.
Best outcome is that Webster will have a positive impact across the team. I think he is perfectly suited to this club and this is the right time to get him

Toookey

Toookey

Vailea and Ale for me.

Vailea looked quite gun shy at the beginning of this year, making bugger all meters in his early games. Came back after injury and seemed to go looking for the physical confrontations. Didn't always get it right, but he looked more confident and averaged over 100m the last 7 games I think he played, while scoring a bunch of tries which was great to see.

Ale - jeeze I've been waiting to see what this guy has in first grade and he looked a pretty good prospect. Seemed to have good left drive and post contact meters, but I got the feeling he wasnt ripping in 100% and may have just been getting back to his best. A full preseason for him hopefully training as an impact player off the bench would be great for him

Christchurch_Warrior

Christchurch_Warrior

Contributor
For me I am most exited about seeing Luke Metcalf get a go. Only seen the highlights of him play but he has some speed. Looks like he can accelerate very quickly as well. I see in his highlight reels he has played 7, 6 and 1. Provided his D is up to scratch I would love to see him play fullback at some stage.

I am also excited about Tom Ale. I really liked what I saw of him this year. Hard to stand out in a losing team but I thought he did. Not sure about him being a prop but if he keeps his form he will do well.

ramps

ramps

im also excited about Barnett. I liked what i saw of him at the knights even before the warriors picked him up. Hes a workhorse with aggression. Add Niukore to that aggressiveness too. I think Aggression has been something our forward pack have lacked in the past couple of years. Aggression on attack but more so in defence. We get a strong ball carrier in at prop next and i think we have a good chance at top 8 this year.

On that note, we have also lacked a bit of x factor when we are stuck in the grind. Walsh was our x factor but needed a few more years to develop his body to first grade. Metcalf is now that guy. Now one thing i want to make clear is that Metcalf in my opinion, is definitely not a halfback but damn sure is a 6 or fullback.

One thing im also happy to see is that we have a lot of our experienced NRL players with the preseason squad early this year as opposed to previous years, and having them around is only going to raise the standards around our young guns.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
From the pictures Ive seen of Mitch Barnett at preseason he looks like a monster. Hope he brings a brutal attitude with it too.

I'm more excited to see how the juniors go. Hope the Kepu twins continue their rise and fulfill their much promised potential. They must be close and I expect to see them feature in the trial games.

Keen to see how Taniela Otukolo develops as well. He's got a tough time trying to crack the team with a number of players in his path but the cream always rises so if he does get a shot he's been working his ass off and deserves it.

I'm interested to see how Freddy Lussick goes as well. I rate the kid and think he could be a long term prospect. This season will make or break or him IMO. He either cements a spot on the bench ahead of players like Otukolo and Jazz Tevaga or he gets released.

No player in particular but its going to be a very interesting battle for the centre spots. This is a position we have been sorely missing quality in. Our two new recruits in Dylan Walker and Marata Niukore probably have the inside running there but again the cream will rise to the top and it will be interesting to see if any of the incumbents make a serious play to hold their spots. Another list of players who are at that make or break situation. Rocco Berry, Adam Pompey, Marcelo Montoya and Viliami Vailea are in all facing the chop after the 2023 season. Do they rise or do they fall?

Taine Tuaupiki is another player that could worm his way into the team in the backline somewhere later on in the year. His preferred position of fullback has some major obstacles in his way but he's a gun that might need to be in the mix anywhere in the team. Can play fuillback, centre or wing.

This year I think we will see the rise and rise of Edward Kosi. Still very green and needs to have more ball discipline but he's vanquished the demons of "that" Storm game and shown us why he's been signed. Very Manuesque in his development but seems to have a few more braincells. I expect to see the him cement his spot once and for all but I also expect to see some howlers along the way...

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

Vailea and Ale for me.

Vailea looked quite gun shy at the beginning of this year, making bugger all meters in his early games. Came back after injury and seemed to go looking for the physical confrontations. Didn't always get it right, but he looked more confident and averaged over 100m the last 7 games I think he played, while scoring a bunch of tries which was great to see.

Ale - jeeze I've been waiting to see what this guy has in first grade and he looked a pretty good prospect. Seemed to have good left drive and post contact meters, but I got the feeling he wasnt ripping in 100% and may have just been getting back to his best. A full preseason for him hopefully training as an impact player off the bench would be great for him
Likewise I think Vailea has the biggest ceiling out of the whole squad. Hoping he has a great pre season. Hoping he goes uninjured the whole year.

He showed me some intangibles in moments last year that really proved he can be a star in this league. The centre position is probably the most one on one based position in the game. You really have to believe you can beat the man in front of you and then be able to draw the 2 and create for your outsides. I believe in him.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Likewise I think Vailea has the biggest ceiling out of the whole squad. Hoping he has a great pre season. Hoping he goes uninjured the whole year.

He showed me some intangibles in moments last year that really proved he can be a star in this league. The centre position is probably the most one on one based position in the game. You really have to believe you can beat the man in front of you and then be able to draw the 2 and create for your outsides. I believe in him.
You think he will get a shot over Marata or Walker? Injury cover???

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

You think he will get a shot over Marata or Walker? Injury cover???
that’s a tough one. It’s really dependant on how Webster sees him. He might see him as still developing so might see him play nsw cup most of the year but I think Webster will have a real good gauge on wether he’s ready. He’s seen quality centres and knows what is required so I reckon if we see him game 1 barring injury of others he will definitely be viewed as ready to go.

I’m just impressed with his physical abilities I hope he adds the mental strength etc moving forward.

Cces

Cces

With Vailea I just hope they pick a side of the field for him to play for the entire season. Eventually he might be one of a select few players who are skilled enough to play both sides to a high standard but at this stage he's only 2 disrupted years into his Rugby League career so they need to pick & stick