General More roosters rumours??

surfin_old

where did i say he should be released immediately because hes not getting the first game?

he has 2 or 3 years left on his contract after this year.

Doesn't that make your first comment even stranger then, because whos to say that he won't be the first choice FB through injury or form before the seasons over. So why would it be "in his best interest" to move on.

wallacenz_old

Doesn't that make your first comment even stranger then, because whos to say that he won't be the first choice FB through injury or form before the seasons over. So why would it be "in his best interest" to move on.
.. instead of being consigned to wing (financially). stop trying to distort my comments to contrive an argument.

dont bother replying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raurimu Massive_old

Yep, Fish as Locke's backup for sure. Locke does have that tendency to pick up injuries because he doesn't seem to play with self-preservation in mind, so having the luxury of resting him every now and then with someone as talented as the Fish as backup is a great thing.

Given the way Locke's carried on like a bit of a twat off-field over the past couple of years, having Fish around as a 'don't take your place for granted' threat mightn't be a bad thing either.

surfin_old

Thanks, but I will, I can't comment on his financial positon as I'm not privy to that, you possibly are, but I believe Manu plays on the wing and he gets paid OK, so did Israel Folau before he switched codes and I'm sure there are a couple of other players doing OK in that position money wise, to the point that I'd gaurantee there are some wingers being paid more than some FBs. Again what makes you so sure he won't play FB again at the Warriors? Is this an arguement? I thought it was a debate.

wallacenz_old

Thanks, but I will, I can't comment on his financial positon as I'm not privy to that, you possibly are, but I believe Manu plays on the wing and he gets paid OK, so did Israel Folau before he switched codes and I'm sure there are a couple of other players doing OK in that position money wise, to the point that I'd gaurantee there are some wingers being paid more than some FBs. Again what makes you so sure he won't play FB again at the Warriors? Is this an arguement? I thought it was a debate.
heh youre debating yourself though, because i didnt type what you seem to think i did.

isnt it common knowledge the spine positions are the highest payed? in fact penrith players have been arguing this exact situation with michael gordon demanding the big money position of fullback over coote for that very reason

surfin_old

heh youre debating yourself though, because i didnt type what you seem to think i did.

isnt it common knowledge the spine positions are the highest payed? in fact penrith players have been arguing this exact situation with michael gordon demanding the big money position of fullback over coote for that very reason

Are we still argueing? As far as the Gordon/ Coote thing from what I've read it's about one playing saying if, I can't have my prefered position I don't want to play anymore, but again, sometimes players need to realise that there are 17 spots and you aren't always going to get what you want in regards to whats best for the team, they also need to realise that sometimes their bluff will be called and unfortunately they can be replaced, eg who really misses Karmichael Hunt or Israel.

wallacenz_old

Are we still argueing? As far as the Gordon/ Coote thing from what I've read it's about one playing saying if, I can't have my prefered position I don't want to play anymore, but again, sometimes players need to realise that there are 17 spots and you aren't always going to get what you want in regards to whats best for the team, they also need to realise that sometimes their bluff will be called and unfortunately they can be replaced, eg who really misses Karmichael Hunt or Israel.
heres an article you can read about it. it directly states fullback makes him more valuable than wing. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/michael-gordon-has-threatened-to-leave-the-penrith-panthers-if-he-is-not-selected-at-fullback/story-e6frexnr-1226262647274

On a reported $220,000 a year, Gordon and his management feel the Origin winger would command more money as a fullback

surfin_old

Okay he wants more money, I got no problem there, we all do, but it also says he is a SOO winger not FB and testing your value on the market before a new contact is the norm rather than the exception so he's not doing anything different, but unlike Fish his contract is up, not just starting. But in my opinion he's got 7 months to make it easy for Ivan to make a decision on where he should play so instead of throwing his toys before a tackle is made, maybe he should put in the effort and win the #1 jersey. If he's as good as he and his manager think he is it shouldn't be a problem, and the money and contract will follow at what ever team he signs for.

omg_old

Okay he wants more money, I got no problem there, we all do, but it also says he is a SOO winger not FB and testing your value on the market before a new contact is the norm rather than the exception so he's not doing anything different, but unlike Fish his contract is up, not just starting. But in my opinion he's got 7 months to make it easy for Ivan to make a decision on where he should play so instead of throwing his toys before a tackle is made, maybe he should put in the effort and win the #1 jersey. If he's as good as he and his manager think he is it shouldn't be a problem, and the money and contract will follow at what ever team he signs for.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, they have just extended Cootes contract, so I can't see him staying. There is an abundance of top fullbacks at the moment and the only club that is in need of a replacement fullback is maybe the Roosters, but Minichello is seeking an extension too, if he was to have a good start to the season he might get it. In saying that the Titans could be in the market and the rumours around the Stewart brothers could open up a spot there but Manly will be waiting on the return of Hopoate or Dragons maybe if Stanley doesn't work out. There really isn't that many clubs to try and secure a contract from

Wadetastic_old

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, they have just extended Cootes contract, so I can't see him staying. There is an abundance of top fullbacks at the moment and the only club that is in need of a replacement fullback is maybe the Roosters, but Minichello is seeking an extension too, if he was to have a good start to the season he might get it. In saying that the Titans could be in the market and the rumours around the Stewart brothers could open up a spot there but Manly will be waiting on the return of Hopoate or Dragons maybe if Stanley doesn't work out. There really isn't that many clubs to try and secure a contract from

Souths have also been in dire need of a fullback for the last 3 years.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

I would be happy for Fish to stay on as injury cover for Locke (although he seems to go down, and stay down a LOT more often than Nobby), but if he is on decent money (which I doubt as he signed a 5 year deal prior to debutting in FG), then perhaps we would be better to release him and use Inu, Ropo and Omar (sign him early, get him back to the wing, but he can cover FB)as our back up, and free up some money for other purchases.

For Fish to stay, I think there should be a concerted effort to find another position in first grade in the meantime. I read somewhere that Bleuy considers Locke FB first and cover for the halves second, while he considers Fish FB and wing cover. Why not give him a few games at wing if he feels he is an option.

omg_old

Souths have also been in dire need of a fullback for the last 3 years.

I do believe Merritt will end up there shortly and the only reason he is on the wing is the lack of training to get over the injury from the All Stars.
But they certainly could use a good proven one..

omg_old

I would be happy for Fish to stay on as injury cover for Locke (although he seems to go down, and stay down a LOT more often than Nobby), but if he is on decent money (which I doubt as he signed a 5 year deal prior to debutting in FG), then perhaps we would be better to release him and use Inu, Ropo and Omar (sign him early, get him back to the wing, but he can cover FB)as our back up, and free up some money for other purchases.

For Fish to stay, I think there should be a concerted effort to find another position in first grade in the meantime. I read somewhere that Bleuy considers Locke FB first and cover for the halves second, while he considers Fish FB and wing cover. Why not give him a few games at wing if he feels he is an option.

I hope he gets to spend a bit of time on the wing for the Vulcans..

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

I hope he gets to spend a bit of time on the wing for the Vulcans..

That would be the best way to do it, but of course the Vulcans want their players in their best positions, so they can attempt to win their own Premiership.

Wadetastic_old

I do believe Merritt will end up there shortly and the only reason he is on the wing is the lack of training to get over the injury from the All Stars.
But they certainly could use a good proven one..

Yea he's definitely there best option this season but i still think he's a better winger than a fullback, he's also nearing his 30's so is not really a long term option given it will take him a couple of years to really find his feet as a fullback.
The Tigers are also debuting a fullback this week so they could be after one if Tedesco doesn't work out

Shaneo_old

Fish on 40/20 tonight..reading between the lines a faaaaair bit here but his comment in a piece regarding the competition for spots..

"all lot of the boys are my mates and at the end of the day you are competing against each other and you gotta do what you gotta do for yourself and for your family"

wallacenz_old

Fish on 40/20 tonight..reading between the lines a faaaaair bit here but his comment in a piece regarding the competition for spots..

"all lot of the boys are my mates and at the end of the day you are competing against each other and you gotta do what you gotta do for yourself and for your family"
if thats a direct quote i think that matches my sentiments from earlier. it seems to me hes saying he has to make the most of his talent while he can. one injury and a gold mine of talent can be gone.

if he gets a good offer, and chose to take it, i hope the warriors wouldnt deny him a release seeing we have locke on the books. id love to see both these guys playing first grade.

Gundog_old

Gotta a funny feeling Bluey will pull some surprise selections during the year..based on the opposition he may think Fish will have a better chance at cracking some tight defences than Locke. I can see these two fighting out that fb position all year. Vote no to releasing the Fish. He is good enough to be the top fullback for us and force Locke into the halves just depends how hard he wants to work at his game.

Spence_old

That would be the best way to do it, but of course the Vulcans want their players in their best positions, so they can attempt to win their own Premiership.

Blackmore chose Aranga over him in his first choice 17 last season.