General Your 2024 lineup

Exactly the same team, but TMM over metcalf. He was injured for a large chunk of the year, has won a premiership at 6, played very well for the broncos & is a kiwi international. He’ll come back better than ever imo. Metcalf hot on his heels but TMM spot to lose imo.
Personally I think TMM is a walking injury and will go down as a player who made a big effort to get back into the game but his best years were stolen from him. Fans are emotionally attached to this kind of story, and fair enough. But don't let reality get away from you. He had a lot of promise before his big injury. Coming back, he had a solid season out of position at FB, a good trial game preseason against a vastly understrength Storm, before getting injured again, and a few, as you would expect, uninspiring games late in the season. I'm just not sure what people are so excited about there. There's no evidence that TMM is going to provide the spark to win us a premiership over Metcalfe. As always, when people are emotionally attached to a player, they see all the positives, but conveniently add all the negatives about the other one. Re-watch the season whanau. It's clear.

Go back and watch the season. The team went up a notch after Metcalf came back in. It's about improving. Yes the team were defensively good. But attack-wise we looked like we hit our ceiling a few times in our losses. I never at any stage said that he was the sole determinant of team performance. What an outrageous presumption. But if you're going to say "nothing to do with one player making breaks" lol.

A few forumers here can't make the distinction between a player being the core reason for the team result and a player being the reason for improvement to one aspect of the team's potency, which happened to be the missing ingredient of overall performance. It's a fact that we were all talking about how slow our backs were. We were hanging in there on defence in every game, but losing to good teams because we couldn't score enough.
Or did Metcalf coming in to the team coincide with our "easier" run of opponents?
1701485674223.png

Our only top 8 opponents during this time was an understrength Broncos and the two "weaker" sides of the top 8 in the Raiders and Sharks. Funnily enough we only lost against the Broncos and Rabbitohs so I can see the argument on either side.

I’m a bit behind the 8 ball re recruitment & retention at the mo’….been busy with the NBA but I read somewhere recently that Zyon Maiu’u has been retained until 2026? Could we see him grab a spot on the bench next year? I wouldn’t mind that.

Ali L should be picked on the left wing.
He has to be on the field.
And someone has to make way.
So the debate is. Is it Montoya/Kosi or is it Berry/Pompey that make way.
IMO in the centre and two wing positions available DWZ, Ali L and Berry are my guys.
So is RTS not making the team then?

I’d put Roger on the Wing. Can still do the yardage work and just give him 1 on 1 with his opposite, footwork and he’s away.

I can’t leave Ali Leiataua out of the team and he’s best at Centre. So Ali and Berry our centres.

CNK
DWZ
Pompey
RTS
Montoya
TMM
Johnson
Niukore
Egan
AFB
Capewell
Ford
Harris

CHT
Walker
Barnett
Tevaga

Metcalf & TMM battling it out for the 6, but experience puts Te Maire ahead for mine. Same notion for jazz. He was injured and underdone back end of the year. Him and walker were devastating the first half of the year & jazz is a fan favourite of mine. Ale is very, very close, offers more than bunty. Bunty the safe option. Zyon Maiu’u a year away from regular first grader but will debut this year imo. Berry unlucky to miss out, but the competition between him and Pompey will bring the best out of them. Going is close to snatching a bench spot but if CHT comes back how I hope he does, his versatility as a half, centre, hooker & lock (at a stretch), is extremely valuable so gets the 14 role for me.

CNK
DWZ
Pompey
RTS
Montoya
TMM
Johnson
Niukore
Egan
AFB
Capewell
Ford
Harris

CHT
Walker
Barnett
Tevaga
Like this team
Two changes for opening day
1) CHT to 6 jersey he has the defence and best kicking game out of Metcalf him and tmm
2) lussick to the number 14 spot he is criminally under rated on this forum and Egan is not an 80 minute hooker

Is RTS going to play on the left or right side? I’m thinking it’s the left side and it’ll likely be a straight swap with Pompey, leaving Berry at right centre. He had great combo’s with DWS and if Berry doesn’t run his right lines and have good hands, then Dalyn doesnt score a lot of those tries.
In saying that…… I’m hoping Ali gets a chance early on at right centre. He’s gonna be devistating once he settles into the team but needs to get his D sorted first tho.
I’m also really undecided in the TMM v Metcalf debate. TMM has better distribution and top notch D. Metcalf has speed and potential and that’s really about it at this point. Neither can kick to NRL standard.
I can see a combo of TMM feeding Capewell and RTS working wonders. Montoya/Kosi must be licking their lips.
We still need a prop who comes on after 30mins who tires the oppo defence. Bunty, Jazz and Ale didn’t really do that last season.
Finally, I’m loving us having so many selection options. By my count we only have 12 who are a lock to make the 17. And I have about 12 who are a legit chance at making those remaining 5 spots. Good times ahead

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. RTS
5. Pompey (GK)
6. TMM
7. SJ
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Niukore
11. Capewell
12. Barnett
13. Harris
14. Edit via Ref: Walker
15. Ford
16. Afoa
17. Ale

Last edited:
Like this team
Two changes for opening day
1) CHT to 6 jersey he has the defence and best kicking game out of Metcalf him and tmm
2) lussick to the number 14 spot he is criminally under rated on this forum and Egan is not an 80 minute hooker
Good thoughts. There’s certain spots that are locked in imo, and a few up for debate. One centre spot, the 6 jersey, the 14 jersey & a bench prop. Everything else is locked in.

Ranked in my opinion:
Centre: pompey, berry, Leiataua
6: TMM, metcalf, CHT
14: CHT, lussick
17: Tevaga, Ale, Afoa, Zyon Maiu’u

How about that depth though

Good thoughts. There’s certain spots that are locked in imo, and a few up for debate. One centre spot, the 6 jersey, the 14 jersey & a bench prop. Everything else is locked in.

Ranked in my opinion:
Centre: pompey, berry, Leiataua
6: TMM, metcalf, CHT
14: CHT, lussick
17: Tevaga, Ale, Afoa, Zyon Maiu’u

How about that depth though
I’m thinking the same but reckon Kosi is a chance to start on that left edge. He was going great guns until that leg injury

I’m thinking the same but reckon Kosi is a chance to start on that left edge. He was going great guns until that leg injury
He was good yep, and there’s probably debate for montoyas spot too. Key thing is we’re developing depth now. One man goes down, another slots in & performance doesn’t suffer. A downside is we’re probably going to lose some of these depth players at some point as they chase deserved opportunities.

Back