General More Info. On Why Lance Hohaia Was Dropped

sebastian_old

Guest
Ivan Cleary wanting a more disciplined game
12/07/2006 6:36:02


Ivan Cleary is opting for structure over flair in at least one selection for this week's clash against the Eels.


The Warriors coach has made two changes to the side that lost in golden point extra time to the Bulldogs on Sunday.


Hooker Lance Hohaia is replaced by George Gatis on the bench, with Cleary expecting Gatis to add a slightly more regimented approach to the game.


Cleary concedes Hohaia has a better kicking and running game, but says Gatis provides the more important structure that he is looking for.


Cleary says on the weekend they did not complete sets, did not get the right field positions at times and they need to fill the gap left when Nathan Fien takes a mid-game rest.


The other change sees Wairangi Koopu move into the starting lineup, with Sione Faumuina shifting to the interchange bench.
 

JonB_old

Guest
warriors4life said:
So Hohaia is being made a scapegoat for the second half then?

It did mess up though, if you make mistakes that cost a team big time which I think it did in the last game then you are not a scapegoat, you are a reason.
 

warriors4life_old

Guest
JonB said:
warriors4life said:
So Hohaia is being made a scapegoat for the second half then?

It did mess up though, if you make mistakes that cost a team big time which I think it did in the last game then you are not a scapegoat, you are a reason.

Yes, but in saying that you can't say we lost because of Hohaia, the team as a whole didn't step up in that second half. Hell we didn't even score a try for the last 66 minutes of the game.
 

KeepingTheFaith_old

Guest
There was a notable drop when Fien went off the field, but having said that considering Wiki and Price were off as well it's not the fairest comparison on Hohaia.

I think it's a good move personally. Even if hooker is Hohaia's long term position he's not going to learn it overnight and Gatis is able to steer a team around the field a lot better in the absence of Wiki and Price.
 

JonB_old

Guest
He looked really good at hooker last year, and not that good this year I wonder why.

W4L he didn't lose us the game but he made it harder for us to win and we didn't.
 

Kaiaua krusher_old

Guest
JonB, probably the game plan set around a rookie halfback this year. Last year he had Stacey and a game plan involving Webby, that allowed hin the freedom to make his impact on the game.

This year the opposition know what Hohaia is likely to do and have moved to cut down his influence out of dummy half. It appears to me that Cleary is trying to add another dimension to his role, I for one applaud that. The other thing is that Hohaia was thrown into the role on the back of an outstanding halfback game against Cronulla, he showed his class by taking on the hooking role, with little coaching, and making a fairly good fist of it for the rest of the year. Takes some adjusting to go from 7 or 6 to 9 and expect to be world class overnight. He has time and the football nouse to make it as hooker.

Having said thatI still think that he is an out and out halfback, but I ain't the Coach and the Coach knows that Hohaia needs a bit of time to come to grips with the role.
 

danco_old

Guest
if you have played the game you know that if you make mistakes you get dropped and it doesnt matter what code or game you play its adios amigo.
 

MarkW_old

Guest
JonB said:
he didn't lose us the game but he made it harder for us to win and we didn't.

I thought Hiho played ok, nothing outstanding but no worse than some of his team mates that made crucial errors during the match.

It must be a frustrating position to be in for Hohaia though - he dosn't look like he's going to get a shot at halfback any time soon, and the hooker role is also not a certainty in Cleary's master-plan. It appears that he won't be considered for standoff anymore either. So he must be wondering 'where exactly do I fit in at this club?'.
 

Kaiaua krusher_old

Guest
True Danco, I know ,I have played the game coached the game and been involved in its administration as well, my post has nothing to do with whether or not he should be dropped - I am responding to JB's query as to why Hohaia isn't as effective this year as he was last, just an opinion and observation.
 

D Generation X_old

Guest
warriors4life said:
JonB said:
warriors4life said:
So Hohaia is being made a scapegoat for the second half then?

It did mess up though, if you make mistakes that cost a team big time which I think it did in the last game then you are not a scapegoat, you are a reason.

Yes, but in saying that you can't say we lost because of Hohaia, the team as a whole didn't step up in that second half. Hell we didn't even score a try for the last 66 minutes of the game.
yea thats true you can't
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
MarkW said:
JonB said:
he didn't lose us the game but he made it harder for us to win and we didn't.

I thought Hiho played ok, nothing outstanding but no worse than some of his team mates that made crucial errors during the match.

It must be a frustrating position to be in for Hohaia though - he dosn't look like he's going to get a shot at halfback any time soon, and the hooker role is also not a certainty in Cleary's master-plan. It appears that he won't be considered for standoff anymore either. So he must be wondering 'where exactly do I fit in at this club?'.

Yeah, and sometimes under those circumstances you don't always play at your best. However previous before the Bulldsogs game he was going quite nicely.
 

sebastian_old

Guest
One thing i'd bet my house on is that Hohaia will not be here in 2008, he will probably offered a token contract, maybe even what hes already on & England or even an NRL club will snap him up to play 7. Is there any valid reason besides money why he'd want to stay?? I can only think not wanting to move countrys but for the right price i'm sure he would.
 

Jesbass_old

Guest
sebastian said:
One thing i'd bet my house on is that Hohaia will not be here in 2008, he will probably offered a token contract, maybe even what hes already on & England or even an NRL club will snap him up to play 7. Is there any valid reason besides money why he'd want to stay?? I can only think not wanting to move countrys but for the right price i'm sure he would.

Bloody oath! I'll take you up on that bet, seb! If Hohaia is gone, you keep your house, but if he stays, I'll take it! :lol:
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Jesbass said:
sebastian said:
One thing i'd bet my house on is that Hohaia will not be here in 2008, he will probably offered a token contract, maybe even what hes already on & England or even an NRL club will snap him up to play 7. Is there any valid reason besides money why he'd want to stay?? I can only think not wanting to move countrys but for the right price i'm sure he would.

Bloody oath! I'll take you up on that bet, seb! If Hohaia is gone, you keep your house, but if he stays, I'll take it! :lol:

*Skinny_Ravs82 comes along and thwacks Jesbass on the head* You gulliable man!
 

casso_old

Guest
Now this may seem completely crazy

and although I haven't seen HiHO play much in the last couple of years but I think with his style of play and attributes and a little bit more time,I think fullback would be Lance's best position.If I were the coach and with Webby departing I would givew him a run there to see how he goes.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Hohaia for fullbacks? Erm..no I don't think so. As alot of us have said we firmly believe he is either a halfback or a hooker. Maybe/maybe not a 5/8. I just don't think it would suit him putting him into another new role and expecting him to learn thick and fast.
 

D Generation X_old

Guest
i didnt know Sione Faumuina was starting off bench and louis anderson playing on lock
 

commonsense_old

Guest
its not fair that hohaia was the scapegoat but at least ivan cleary gave us a reason for dropping him unlike last time.
 

fiamacho_old

Guest
Good on Cleary for letting everyone know why Lance was replaced it sure takes the speculation out of things.

Good call if you ask me.
 

Similar threads

Replies
22
Views
2K
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
35
Views
2K
KeepingTheFaith_old
2
Replies
25
Views
2K
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
44
Views
2K
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
14
Views
989
Iafeta_old