General More good news for rugby league.

Northern_Union

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10697874&ref=rss

The New Zealand Rugby League has evidence it regards as proof the domestic game has emerged from the doldrums.
NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle yesterday said player numbers increased by more than 50 per cent last year. Player data compiled by the NZRL showed participation numbers had climbed by 52 per cent since 2009, with the overall total of players swelling to more than 24,000.
"It has been a tremendous year for the game at the highest levels, with the Kiwis winning the Four Nations, Benji Marshall winning the Golden Boot, the Junior Kiwis doing so well and the Warriors also performing superbly in the National Rugby League and the National Youth Competition," he said.
"But while we're all thrilled with those successes it's just as pleasing for us to see the fantastic growth in the game at grass roots level.
"When the Kiwis won the World Cup two years ago, rugby league in this country was in crisis on a number of levels."
The areas with the biggest increases were Manawatu (400 per cent) and Taranaki (109 per cent) in the Mid Central zone, the Northern zone (128 per cent) and the Counties-Manukau zone (108 per cent), while in the Upper Central zone, Coastline showed a 90 per cent increase and Waikato 57 per cent.

The Auckland zone was up 49 per cent.

Jr Warlord_old

im not aware of a rugby union calculator but there have been some made up numbers from both codes in the last few years. whats the different between sparc numbers and each national sports numbers?

Northern_Union

im not aware of a rugby union calculator but there have been some made up numbers from both codes in the last few years. whats the different between sparc numbers and each national sports numbers?

Sure you know the union calculator. They use it to come up with 4 billion people blah blah BS.
The NZRL is a fully aligned sporting body with SPARC. The NZRL relies on SPARC funding and that funding comes through player numbers among other KPI's. The participation numbers are verified by SPARC before any funds are handed out.

playdaball_old

Good to see a lift still not at the good old 30,000 mark yet that we had a few years ago.

Especially pleasing to see the Auckland numbers (from a large base) up by 49% and Manukau too.

Shame that Wgtn and Ch Ch numbers are not up enough to be included but overall a brilliant result.

2big2strong_old

I'm not sure that this is the place to put this but I will anyway.

I was just reading the first edition of Discord for 2011. If you havn't heard of it it's a fortnightly/weekly/monthly (changes all the time) Rugby League column written by Steve Mascord who is probably the most respected Rugby League journalist amongst the players themselves, kinda like Danny Weidler but... respected.

There was an interesting piece in todays column....

By the way, get set for another overseas-based rugby league team to enter a certain competition in much the same fashion as the Warriors and Catalans. Sorry, can't tell you anymore...
https://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=38185

Now, call me crazy but my suspicions are telling me it could be a 2nd NZ franchise in the NRL. The PNG bid has been ruled out and stomped on by all parties involved and the Superleague teams are quite publicly announced well before they enter the comp (ala Catalans, Crusaders etc)

Steve Mascord has been rallying for a 2nd NZ team in the comp as his preferred 18th team for 2013 and has done several articles on how it could work. He even interviewed the bid team for the Southern Lions or Orcas and said that they were very well organized and unlike the Central Coast Bears, they were gathering a bank load of government backing and private investors and securing all the necessary requirements behind closed doors and have been holding private meetings with Dave Gallop and the NRL and would not go public until they had all their boxes ticked.

Could be a bit left field but with the sparc numbers above showing how strong League in NZ is getting and how the Kiwi's are doing on the world stage, it could be a very wise business move for the NRL.

2big2strong_old

However, now that I think about it.... I'm probably just jumping to conclusions. It could, in reality, be any competition in the world. I did hear whispers a few months ago of a New York Based Rugby League team joining the Superleague in the future, made up of the best that the Yanks have to offer but mainly using English and Australian/Kiwi players.

Northern_Union

As far as i know the realistic options for joining comps are as follows:
PNG NRL
Southern NZ NRL
Toulose Olympic ESL
Jamaca AMNRL

Of those four i think only Toulose and the Southern NZ side are realistic. Jason Hemson has been leading the Southern NZ bid out of Wellington (he is or was CEO of the Wellington RL. He's and aussie and a businessman) and as Mascord has noted he has quietly put together a good bid with strong local and national government backing. Toulose, they'll mostly get into the next up take for the ESL after next seasons franchises.

Northern_Union

I'm not sure that this is the place to put this but I will anyway.

I was just reading the first edition of Discord for 2011. If you havn't heard of it it's a fortnightly/weekly/monthly (changes all the time) Rugby League column written by Steve Mascord who is probably the most respected Rugby League journalist amongst the players themselves, kinda like Danny Weidler but... respected.

There was an interesting piece in todays column....

https://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=38185

Now, call me crazy but my suspicions are telling me it could be a 2nd NZ franchise in the NRL. The PNG bid has been ruled out and stomped on by all parties involved and the Superleague teams are quite publicly announced well before they enter the comp (ala Catalans, Crusaders etc)

Steve Mascord has been rallying for a 2nd NZ team in the comp as his preferred 18th team for 2013 and has done several articles on how it could work. He even interviewed the bid team for the Southern Lions or Orcas and said that they were very well organized and unlike the Central Coast Bears, they were gathering a bank load of government backing and private investors and securing all the necessary requirements behind closed doors and have been holding private meetings with Dave Gallop and the NRL and would not go public until they had all their boxes ticked.

Could be a bit left field but with the sparc numbers above showing how strong League in NZ is getting and how the Kiwi's are doing on the world stage, it could be a very wise business move for the NRL.

Geez i feel like wetting myself with excitement if the Southern bid is genuinely that close. I'd heard rumors but we all hear them.

PB_old

Yeah, 2b2s, Mascord is a damn good journo. That excerpt got my attention too. I'd be rapt if a second NZ team got in. The game needs it badly.

2big2strong_old

Geez that's a good point that I hadn't thought of Viking. I know that their NRL bid has had a red line put through it by everyone involved but a Qcup franchise is a very realistic option.

Viking_old

Geez that's a good point that I hadn't thought of Viking. I know that their NRL bid has had a red line put through it by everyone involved but a Qcup franchise is a very realistic option.

Yeah, I don't think those in charge or league want PNG anywhere near the NRL but they need to acknowledge PNGs efforts and their obvious love of the game so I could see them getting a spot in Q cup which could easily accommodate another one or two teams. It also gives the QRL a link to the up and coming players with PNG ties that they could lure across to Origin later on.

Viking_old

"Same fashion" to me means it's a team entering the ESL or NRL.

I really can't see it. I wish you were right though.

It would be good if the ESL was strong enough for a 16 team comp, having a top 8 from 14 is strange to me but the gap between the big 6 and the rest is already far too wide.

NY Knights into the ESL would be an expensive logistical nightmare (has anyone actually proposed this formally?).

Jamaica into the AMNRL or Welly\ChCh into the NSW or Bundy Cup maybe?

Jr Warlord_old

Sure you know the union calculator. They use it to come up with 4 billion people blah blah BS.
The NZRL is a fully aligned sporting body with SPARC. The NZRL relies on SPARC funding and that funding comes through player numbers among other KPI's. The participation numbers are verified by SPARC before any funds are handed out.
You do know its cumulative audience the same that is used by FIFA and NFL. A couple of league fans on another website told me three years ago that Melbourne has over 40,000 league players when NZ had 15,000 yet on the Victorian rugby league website they had the same number of clubs as Canterbury or Wellington. You do the math.

Northern_Union

NFL and FIFA do not use the same counting method as union. Don't for a minute try and bullshit that one. The RFU operate the world cup in blocks of fifteen. That is the normal broadcast length before an ad break. A world cup match is played over an hour and a half period. You do the math.

sebastian_old

Would a new southern NZ team, have a effect my beloved Warrriors? If it has a posistive effect, would there be more players that may want to say in the NZ, meaning that the Warriors would be their second choice when off-contract. Or would we fight over players, territorys & such, therefore by losing players. Would anyone be able to assume either way?

Last edited by a moderator: