Internationals MoM v England

Jesbass_old

3 - Fien (player of the match - great kicking game and 3 try assists)
2 - Leuluai (hugely improved performance making several half breaks and a try assist)
1 - Cayless (only forward to gain more than 100m)

All 3 of the above are from only 7 players who didn't make any errors.

BigD_old

The Kiwi rugby league team have booked a place in the World Cup final after scoring six tries and holding out a fighting England side at the death at Suncorp Stadium.

Jerome Ropati bagged a double in an inconsistent performance from the New Zealanders who first let an early lead slip away by halftime and almost let a twelve point lead, with ten minutes left, go to waste as well.

This was certainly the battle between the two second-best sides in the world, the 32-22 scoreline reflecting what was a tough match but one full of simple errors that, if made again, will be dearly punished by likely final opponents Australia next weekend.

The first quarter of the match saw the men in black completely dominate.

Their opening try, after just nine minutes, was set up brilliantly by Benji Marshall who got his hands free for Sam Perrett to go over the line unopposed. Goal kicker for the night Jeremy Smith converted and it was a quick 6-0 lead.

England took some time to settle into the game and were guilty of a number of unforced errors early in the first quarter which helped the Kiwis' momentum no end.

Marshall was spectacularly flattened by a late shoulder charge from Ben Westwood but the hit was taken soundly and led to the Kiwis' second scoring play of the night.

Thomas Leuluai put the English defence in two minds with some fancy dummy-passing before handing the ball to Lance Hohaia who darted over the line for the game's second try.

There was no conversion from Jeremy Smith but the two points lost were quickly forgotten as a botched kickoff gave possession straight back to the Kiwis who immediately capitalised via a further four points to Jerome Ropati who found some space on the left side. This time Smith converted and it was 16-0 after just 23 minutes.

England then found their feet as the Kiwis' own hands began to let them down.

A Manu Vatuvei handling error inside his own twenty handed England a rare opportunity to score and they duly capitalised. A probing run and offload by Rob Burrow to his captain Jamie Peacock gave the big man England's first points.

After a string of errors from both sides, a piece of magic from the England attack saw Danny McGuire run onto a grubber kick from a scrum 40m out to help his side finish the half on a high.

Certainly the Kiwis were guilty of dropping in intensity after their big start but both sides matched each other in the second stanza.

Both sides had chances to score after the break but a mixture of stout Kiwi defence and further handling errors stifled any scoring until Bronson Harrison made the first post-break score.

A short pass from Nathan Fien, who had a great game at halfback, set up a storming Harrison who was left to beat one man for the score between the sticks.

However, Kiwi joy was short-lived as England hit straight back on the back of a knock on by Hohaia under the high ball. The good field position eventually leading to Martin Gleeson getting his hands free to stretch over the tryline on the outside of Perrett.

A minor dust-up involving Hohaia, who got away with throwing the ball at the head of an English player, lifted the game to another pace before repeat sets at the English line led to Ropati scoring his second try, the centre pouncing on a loose ball in the in-goal.

With ten minutes left and a twelve-point deficit to overcome, England got the hearts of Kiwis fans everywhere racing by going over the line once again via McGuire. In the end however, the pressure was too much and the Kiwis held their line before scoring a consolation try in the corner with seconds left on the clock to seal a deserved victory.

New Zealand 32: Tries - Sam Perrett, Lance Hohaia, Jerome Ropati (2), Bronson Harrison, Benji Marshall. Cons - Jeremy Smith (4).

England 22: Tries - Jamie Peackock, Danny McGuire (2), Martin Gleeson. Cons - Rob Burrow (3).

Skinny_Ravs82

lol umm ok I'm sure a full report on the match could have it's own thread? :p kidding!

3- Fien
2- Leuluai
1- Smith (jeremy this is)

Would have given Benji a point but his hands let him down too much and he seemed in a hurry when he passed

BigD_old

hi Skinny

Did you see the Dandy Warhols when they were in Melbourne

Did you go to the Melbourne Cup?

Rgds
BigD

Kid-Dynamite_old

Without doubt the MOM was Nathan Fien! He was excellent, best performance I've seen in a Kiwis jersey for some time!

Rapira was superb coming off the bench, he showed some real vigour in his runs, and as you guys have all mentioned Leuluai playing in 9 had a much, much, much better performance!

Last edited by a moderator:

playdaball_old

3: Fein - best game I've seen him play
2: Perrot - he is impressive, good darts out of dummy to help forwards - should he be at FB next week?
1: Leuluai - I knocked him but that was the best game I've seen him play ever - 2nd was Kiwi win at Nrth Harbour

Also:
Rapira, Cayless, Smith, harrison

Last edited by a moderator:

Iafeta_old

3 Nathan Fien - has he just pushed Joel Moon to the Vulcans for Round 1 with Fien playing alongside Jones?
2 Jeremy Smith - always bent them back, had the arm poised for some devastating offloads at times
1 Thomas Leuluai - NZ were way more direct and dominant with him on than when Isaac Luke came on, Luke tried too hard to make things happen quickly that just weren't on and caused some cheap turnovers and some ordinary missed tackles too.

garyhobson_old

3 Nathan Fien - has he just pushed Joel Moon to the Vulcans for Round 1 with Fien playing alongside Jones?
2 Jeremy Smith - always bent them back, had the arm poised for some devastating offloads at times
1 Thomas Leuluai - NZ were way more direct and dominant with him on than when Isaac Luke came on, Luke tried too hard to make things happen quickly that just weren't on and caused some cheap turnovers and some ordinary missed tackles too.

On Nathan Fien. Just after 1 excellent performance v England in the WC and a good showing in his previous match, it is a bit premature to say Nathan Fien should be one of the starting halfs for the Warrors. His kicking game is very inconsistant at nrl level, for the majority of the season this year his kicking was very ineffective, although in this WC it has been good, precise, quality and consistant. Perhaps im more inclined to have him aswell as the first halfback option for this season due to the lack of inexprience players in the halfs such as Liam Foran and Joel Moon. Stacey Jones needs a good hard pre season, get some minutes in the warm up games, and play a handful of games for the Vulcans and peform before hes even mention as a possible halfback for the Warriors. We cant assume he will.

Kid-Dynamite_old

One guy who I've noticed hasn't got a mention yet, and a guy who I left of my initial top 3 is Bronson Harrison!

The last couple of weeks he has been given his opportunity and taken it in open arms. Lovely line he ran to score his try of the lovely Fien pass also!

bigstuboy_old

yea i thought harrison had been great dont really hear much about him at the tigers but im glad he's there .thought luke was very quiet when he was on hope that was a one off

Skinny_Ravs82

On Nathan Fien. Just after 1 excellent performance v England in the WC and a good showing in his previous match, it is a bit premature to say Nathan Fien should be one of the starting halfs for the Warrors. His kicking game is very inconsistant at nrl level, for the majority of the season this year his kicking was very ineffective, although in this WC it has been good, precise, quality and consistant. Perhaps im more inclined to have him aswell as the first halfback option for this season due to the lack of inexprience players in the halfs such as Liam Foran and Joel Moon. Stacey Jones needs a good hard pre season, get some minutes in the warm up games, and play a handful of games for the Vulcans and peform before hes even mention as a possible halfback for the Warriors. We cant assume he will.

To be fair to nath he has been consistant and not just at international level in this world cup

garyhobson_old

To be fair to nath he has been consistant and not just at international level in this world cup

I am being fair on him. Theres no doubt hes always gone out there and played his heart out for the Warriors, but during the season in some games he just didnt measure up. Same with previous years. Which is why everyone was calling for new halfs during the year, because the personel we had playing werent doing the job. He's been at the Warriors since 2005, he hasnt really stamped his authority over the team as the lead man. I'd still have in the team starting in the halfs somewhere, because of the lack of exprience in Joel Moon, Liam Foran, Isaac John and Daniel O'Regan.

commonsense_old

3 fien
2 mannering
1 leuluai

ppl have been calling for leuluai to switch to no 9 and i definitely think thats his best position.
mannering was awesome in defense. didnt get much chance to get into the attack but his defence was amazing as he prevented the calderwood try in the beginning of the match.

i thought england had some good players like mcguire, peacock, gleeson. those guys need to test themselves in the nrl. england needs to get A LOT better for international league to get on the map.