Skinny_Ravs82

Luck's been doing well I agree, he's shown some good things as the season as progressed. He did start out pretty one dimensional but he's gotten better.

Jesbass_old

commonsense said:
i see what u are trying to do and thats not fair.

Pardon? What am I trying to do? How is that question unfair? :?

It wasn't loaded, and I don't tend to post on more than one level. I agree that each club is responsible for the juniors in its area. Just beause I query doesn't necessarily mean I disagree. ;)

commonsense_old

where did my post go?? took me awhile to write. oh well.

anyway u were twisting my words around. i was not necessarily all players coming from a particular area should be playing for that club.
what i was saying is the warriors have a resposibility to groom kiwi talent just like the broncos and cowboys do for qld youngsters.

Jesbass_old

commonsense said:

I think it may have been moved to a thread about players and where they come from. Can anyone verify this?

commonsense said:
anyway u were twisting my words around. i was not necessarily all players coming from a particular area should be playing for that club.
what i was saying is the warriors have a resposibility to groom kiwi talent just like the broncos and cowboys do for qld youngsters.

I didn't twist your words at all. I just asked a question. I was curious. Sue me. ;) :p

commonsense_old

Jesbass said:
commonsense said:

I think it may have been moved to a thread about players and where they come from. Can anyone verify this?

commonsense said:

I didn't twist your words at all. I just asked a question. I was curious. Sue me. ;) :p

why was it moved??

i have no beef bro. i just want u to understand what im trying to say

Jesbass_old

commonsense said:
Jesbass said:
commonsense said:

commonsense said:

why was it moved??

i have no beef bro. i just want u to understand what im trying to say

I have no idea why it was moved. Most likely a slightly overzealous attempt to keep the two topics in this thread separate. Problem is, it ended up in the pub, lol! :lol:

I have no beef with you either, buddy. I fully understand what you're saying, as you've made it quite clear. I personally haven't stated my opinion on your statements, (except to say that I agree that clubs should be responsible for the juniors in their area), choosing to observe and ask questions from the sideline. :)

Skinny_Ravs82

www.stuff.co.nz

Michael Luck came to the Warriors from the Cowboys to play open, running football.

When the in-goal is covered with deep puddles and the midfield is a complete quagmire, that style of play is never going to be on offer, but the doughty Luck wouldn't have minded the Auckland weather last night, with his first try for the club guiding it to a dogged victory.

Luck aquaplaned on to a Grant Rovelli kick after 67 minutes to end a three-game Warriors losing streak and extend the Sharks' run of defeats to six - inflicting GBH on Cronulla's finals hopes.

Playing football was a difficult proposition after a day of incessant rain, and there was neither side was going to make a substantial advance on the 6-6 halftime scoreline.

The Sharks moved to 10-6 on the hour with a try from New Zealand A winger Luke Covell, but the Warriors regained the upper hand after that.

Luck's try after the Warriors bravely turned down the chance to kick at goal when they won a penalty within range.

It meant a win on his testimonial night for Awen Guttenbeil, and it was a shame more people did not turn up to honour his lengthy service to the club.

But it was perhaps understandable on a dismal night that the club registered a season-low gate of 4850.

Yet it must be extremely disheartening to club bosses who have battled to raise attendances.

They, at least, marked Guttenbeil's testimonial with a nice touch, sending the team out in especially designed grey jerseys with a striking moko-style pattern designed by artist Inia Taylor III.

The Warriors managed an encouraging start, deserving their seventh-minute 6-0 lead produced by Grant Rovelli's huge sidestep

The Sharks, however, were level 11 minutes later when a series of offloads took Cronulla close to the line, and Brett Kimmorley ran direct from first receiver to force his way across.

It stayed the same until after halftime, with the Warriors clearly feeling thwarted by referee Jason Robinson.

He warned fullback Brent Webb for persistent dissent and stand-in skipper Guttenbeil had plenty of chats with the official as little went the Warriors' way.

One of their three first-period penalties came courtesy of former Warrior Richard Villasanti, who gave away a play-the-ball offence within a minute of coming on for the Sharks on his return to Mt Smart.

But otherwise the Warriors saw little of the football as the half neared its conclusion, although sturdy defence weathered a Cronulla onslaught: the nearest the Sharks came to taking the lead was when winger Darren Albert climbed above his opposite, Manu Vatuvei, to pursue a Kimmorley kick but couldn't gather the ball to score despite three attempts.

Warriors (G Rovelli M Luck tries, T Martin 2 gls).
Sharks (B Kimmorley L Covell tries, Covell gl).
Ht: 6-6.

commonsense_old

when it comes to value for money, michael luck has been the best buy in the nrl for as long as i remember.

danco_old

reliable, solid. not fancey.a good all round player whom you dont notice but gets the job done.

Jesbass_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
The Sharks moved to 10-6 on the hour with a try from New Zealand A winger Luke Covell, but the Warriors regained the upper hand after that.

I agree that Luck has proven to be a sensational buy, but it irks me when journalists get their facts wrong. At no point in the match was the score ever 10-6.

Skinny_Ravs82

lol didn't realise till you pointed that out! Well Ravs scored so that was happy points for me! ;)

sebastian_old

Yes i must agree, value for money he has been. I havn't been his biggest fan but when way up the money v.s performances, hes a valuble asset.

Jesbass_old

From www.warriors.co.nz:

Back rower Micheal Luck winds up his first season with the Vodafone Warriors by making his 100th career appearance in Sunday’s NRL match against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

The 24-year-old began this year as one of the club’s three new signings along with fellow Queenslanders Grant Rovelli and George Gatis.

On Sunday he’ll become one of only two players – Rovelli being the other – to finish the season by appearing in all 24 of the Vodafone Warriors’ matches.

“I’ve never had a season where I played every single match before,†said Luck, who began his NRL career with 76 appearances for North Queensland from 2001-2005.

“So it’s great to be able to get through a year without any problems and to finish it by playing my 100th game.

“It’ll also nice to do it only about 100kms away from where footy started for me in Gatton. “But far more important is the team’s performance on Sunday and trying to get a win in Brisbane.â€Â

Head coach Ivan Cleary has been delighted with the contribution each of the three new players has made this season both on and off the field.

“They’ve all added a lot and it’s a great way for Lucky to finish what has been a fantastic year for him,†he said.

“He has given us consistency in effort and performance throughout and he’s brought an attitude that’s really important in terms of the environment and culture we want to build here.â€Â

Luck’s landmark appearance is the latest in a run of individual milestones and moments over the last month as the Vodafone Warriors try to finish their 2006 campaign with their fifth consecutive win, a feat which hasn’t been achieved since the club’s finals run in 2003. The club record is eight wins on end in 2002 with the next best six straight in 1995.

Since beating the Roosters in June, the Vodafone Warriors have won eight of their last 11 matches after securing only four wins in the first 12 matches of the season.

Last Sunday’s 42-16 victory over the Roosters moved them up to ninth place in the competition and completed a seven wins-five losses record in home matches. That includes three wins on end against Cronulla, North Queensland and the Roosters to finish the home programme.

“But now we have to lift to take on a Brisbane side that has played extremely well to win its last two matches away against the Bulldogs and Parramatta,†said Cleary.

“They’ve been outstanding defensively in not conceding a point against two of the competition’s top two teams and their strike players, especially Justin Hodges, have been impressive.

“They’re also out to secure a home semi-final when they play us. While we’ve shown a lot of improvement over the season this is going to be a very tough task in our last match of the year.â€Â

In winning last week, the Vodafone Warriors improved their win-loss ratio to 12-11 this year, giving Cleary a winning percentage of 52.17%. Only Daniel Anderson has a better strike rate in the club’s history.

If the Vodafone Warriors succeed against Brisbane, they’ll finish the year with 13 wins and 11 losses, the fourth best seasonal record in the club’s 12 seasons in existence.

After 23 rounds, the Vodafone Warriors still have easily the third best points for and against differential – plus 113 – in the competition, behind only the top two sides Melbourne and the Bulldogs while the Broncos are fourth with a plus 81 reading. Their total of 540 points for is the fourth best and their 427 points against ranks them comfortably third.

In the individual try-scoring race, fullback Brent Webb goes into his final match for the club leading with 11 but he’s closely followed by winger Manu Vatuvei with 10 while centre Simon Mannering and standoff Jerome Ropati – boosted by his four-try haul against the Roosters – have nine. The team has scored 95 tries in total so far.

In naming his side for the Brisbane match, Cleary has retained the same line-up that started against the Roosters. That sees hooker Nathan Fien confirmed on the bench after coming into the team late last weekend following a two-match absence with a back injury. He emerged from Sunday’s match with no further problems.

VODAFONE WARRIORS TEAM

1 BRENT WEBB

2 PATRICK AH VAN

3 LANCE HOHAIA

4 SIMON MANNERING

5 MANU VATUVEI

6 JEROME ROPATI

7 GRANT ROVELLI

8 RUBEN WIKI (V/C)

9 GEORGE GATIS

10 STEVE PRICE (C)

11 AWEN GUTTENBEIL