STRIDER_old

dont doubt luck out, i can see him keeping his spot at 13 for a while to come as there is no need to replace him.

the 2nd Row will look like this for the next couple years

11. Mannering
12. Matulino
13. Luck

with Lillyman coming of the bench

Fai wont get a look in he just isint good enough

Your joking ! ?

Fai is a standout prospect just like Russel Packer. He just needs to find some consistancy to his game. He's a game breaker and physicaly the strongest at the Warriors. This guy will be a key player into the future.

Remember how Manu Vatuvei was rubbished and criticised early in his career - This guy is from the same kettle of fish. He will be a major feature of the future Warriors forward pack.

Remember that !

STRIDER_old

Scott Jones will have no problem getting a gig anywhere outside of the
Warriors

Dont know about that - He's solid but not what I call a real prospect. Huge work effic though that clubs like Melborne or Sydney Roosters may pick up on.

Just to much talent at the warriors. Its actually really interesting how O'Regan leap frogged him. I suppose injury plays a role also.

dicky knee_old

Dont know about that - He's solid but not what I call a real prospect. Huge work effic though that clubs like Melborne or Sydney Roosters may pick up on.

Just to much talent at the warriors. Its actually really interesting how O'Regan leap frogged him. I suppose injury plays a role also.

He's going to come back and bite you :attention:

Viking_old

O'Regan and Jones are different players, the former is a ball playing lock\sometimes 5/8 at 183cms and 97kgs and the latter is a defensive second rower\lock at 188cms and 105kgs plus. O'Regan will initiate play and Jones will do the dirty work. He will never look flashy but both types of players are necessary, Luck being a prime example of that.

I don't know that Daniel leapfrogged Jones but more that injury prevented Scott from competing against the other young second rowers for a first grade spot, Matulino moreso than Fai really. The signing of Lillyman would've been the main driver for Scott to look elsewhere. That's football.

Fai could be anything but dominating in the 20s cos you're the biggest boy on the block and competing against battle hardened first graders is completely different. Matulino did well but everytime they did a close up on him this year he looked completely shattered after 25mins on the field, same goes for Fai and Packer, it takes time for a young forward to get up to speed against men. You could put Dave Taylor in the same boat at the Broncos, he was starting to struggle with the workload of a first grader.

ONETRIBECHIEF_old

Your joking ! ?

Fai is a standout prospect just like Russel Packer. He just needs to find some consistancy to his game. He's a game breaker and physicaly the strongest at the Warriors. This guy will be a key player into the future.

Remember how Manu Vatuvei was rubbished and criticised early in his career - This guy is from the same kettle of fish. He will be a major feature of the future Warriors forward pack.

Remember that !

There was potential there, but seeing everyone of his home games this year both for the Under 20s and the main team, to me he lacks the work ethic to play in the 2nd row and he is not a centre.

I really see no need for him as we have Mannering (23years old, 77 games and 15 tests) and Matulino who has proven he is at 1st gade material with good performances this year. And Fai does not have the work ethic to play at locks or the ball playing ebilities to play in the centres consistantly.

Viking_old

There was potential there, but seeing everyone of his home games this year both for the Under 20s and the main team, to me he lacks the work ethic to play in the 2nd row and he is not a centre.

I really see no need for him as we have Mannering (23years old, 77 games and 15 tests) and Matulino who has proven he is at 1st gade material with good performances this year. And Fai does not have the work ethic to play at locks or the ball playing ebilities to play in the centres consistantly.

He's a mixed bag, but they'll perservere with him because it cost the Warriors so much to keep him. The thing that worries me about Ben and Sonny is that neither are looking to offload, maybe that's because Ivan's got them on strict instructions not to ATM. We need a 2nd rower that gets the ball away in the tackle and both of them can do that in the 20s so it should be part of their 1st grade game eventually.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Micheal Luck is a leader, and one of our best, most hard working players.

He will be a regular in the team this year IMO, on from that....I dunno!

Iafeta_old

I don't think the lack of offloads is a coaching ploy. I think it's just Ben Matulino for instance is still trying to find his strength in first grade. It's a lot different in Under 20's where the likes of himself, Fai and Packer are so much more powerful than most of their counterparts that they can pick the fringe of the ruck and offload with ease. That comes with experience and time in the top grade, along with a full off season training with the first grade squad to develop his body more into the type of body he needs in first grade.

I see Matulino developing into a Steve Kearney/Steve Simpson type player. Someone who goes forward through the edge of the ruck and then can also come back on the angle hard up the middle, with presence and the ability to pass accurately when it's on. The secret to Kearney and Simpson when they are on is not a massive amount of offloads but a relentless quality to them. Matulino really struck me as that type of player in the Under 20's where he knew his first job was to roll over the advantage line, bend the line back and then scout up for an opportunity. I don't think he's far off doing that in first grade either to be honest, I just think he needs to work hard on his first grade physical presence. At times he look shot last year, but kept on working tirelessly for the club.

Great prospect. I feel a future Kiwis great.

Viking_old

I don't think the lack of offloads is a coaching ploy. I think it's just Ben Matulino for instance is still trying to find his strength in first grade. It's a lot different in Under 20's where the likes of himself, Fai and Packer are so much more powerful than most of their counterparts that they can pick the fringe of the ruck and offload with ease. That comes with experience and time in the top grade, along with a full off season training with the first grade squad to develop his body more into the type of body he needs in first grade.

I see Matulino developing into a Steve Kearney/Steve Simpson type player. Someone who goes forward through the edge of the ruck and then can also come back on the angle hard up the middle, with presence and the ability to pass accurately when it's on. The secret to Kearney and Simpson when they are on is not a massive amount of offloads but a relentless quality to them. Matulino really struck me as that type of player in the Under 20's where he knew his first job was to roll over the advantage line, bend the line back and then scout up for an opportunity. I don't think he's far off doing that in first grade either to be honest, I just think he needs to work hard on his first grade physical presence. At times he look shot last year, but kept on working tirelessly for the club.

Great prospect. I feel a future Kiwis great.

That's kind of what I was getting at, these kids are only 19 or 20 and there were more than a few people suggesting that Ben should figure in the plans of the Kiwis or Samoa in the WC when he hadn't played more than half a game in 1st grade or topped 50 metres yet. As good as he is now, it's going to be a few years before he really becomes used to the weekly grind of NRL. He and Packer will feature in the Kiwis for many years. Fai would need to adjust his game and up his workrate to be a permanant 1st grader but that could easily be done and the weight of expectation was far greater for him than the other two.

Someone's gotta offload though, Witt was the teams offload leader halfway through the season!

I really hope Wittyfan doesn't read this forum!

Jesbass_old

We need an anti-Wittyfan macro...lol.

I've got to say, with the likes of especially Matulino and Packer coming through the grades, that the future of the Kiwis, (halves aside, but that so often seems to be the case), is looking very, very bright indeed. I think having a coach that on the same night he engineered a World Cup victory was already looking to the following year and working towards forging and maintaining world dominance certainly helps, too.

Iafeta_old

It's funny viking, but I seem to recall Stace coming second in offloads for us one season... behind Ali.

kingdamo_old

A NRL record of 74 tackles for the match. FREAK!

Last edited by a moderator:

pilky01_old

did he actually break it? I thought Hindmarsh had it with 69 but on wiki it said he made 75. I hope he did get it though!

Esoj_old

luck is one of our unsung heroes week to week. we would definitely not be the same side without him and it has shown the couple of times he has been out of the side.

mrblonde_old

Anyone heard about Anthony Quinn? Apparantly he was having convulsions...
And as for the Sharkies, the NRL announces the End Of Season Dinner/Dance. Food will be provided by the Sharks Staff and Players has they have the wooden spoon to stir with....
Does anyone else agree with me that the Warriors should come with a Health Warning?...Jeeezzzz..