General Micheal Luck announces retirement

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
yep it has been officially confirmed now, hes leaving at end of the year.

esoj

U20's Player
Apr 14, 2012
will be a huge loss for sure. he is not the flashest of players but every team needs someone like him that is prepared to tackle all day and take a good straight hard hit up. it was only a season or two ago how many were saying how many good backrowers we had now the stocks are certainly getting a bit thin. I'm not sure about just getting a like for like replacement but should definitely look at getting a quality experienced backrower.

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2012
christchurch
*cough* sure would be nice to have a card around here to sign. Luck would be the perfect candidate for NZWF's first card... If only we had someone who was smart and creative and know's how to make cards...

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2012
*cough* sure would be nice to have a card around here to sign. Luck would be the perfect candidate for NZWF's first card... If only we had someone who was smart and creative and know's how to make cards...

lol i was waiting for this...

you forgot handsome and sexy

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10800560

NRL: Luck set to finally run out

By Michael Brown

5:30 AM Sunday Apr 22, 2012

amedia.nzherald.co.nz_webcontent_image_jpg_201216_SCCZEN_20042012HOSDSLEAGUE2_460x230.jpg
Having a little boy has prompted Micheal Luck to call it a day and spend more time with ToniLee and son Murphy. Photo / Doug Sherring
Micheal Luck has made 5484 tackles in his Warriors career and propelled himself into opposition defences 1103 times.

He has asked his body to do an extraordinary amount of work over the past six years, in one of the toughest sports anywhere, but now his body is telling him it's nearly had enough. It doesn't want to be bent and twisted and punished much more.

It's a principal reason why Luck will retire from rugby league at the end of the season. His decision came as a surprise - Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah assumed he wanted more money when Luck and his agent walked into his office on Thursday - especially as Luck turned 30 only yesterday.

But he is at peace with it. He has another good reason, too. Three days after the Warriors' 40-10 defeat to the Broncos in their qualifying semifinal at Suncorp Stadium last year, his son Murphy was born.

"My body is telling me you can't keep bashing yourself forever and expect everything to heal up as quickly as it used to," Luck says. "I think the time is right to go back to Townsville to be surrounded by our family. Having a little bloke opens your eyes and gives you a different perspective on things.

"Five years ago, I lived and died by what I did on a footy field. That's changed. I always thought when my focus wasn't solely on football, that would be when I started to question myself. In saying that, if my body held up to it, I would play forever.

"But the way I play the game, I'm a smaller man in a bigger man's game. It takes its toll. I have loved every minute of it and still love being around the boys. That's the thing I will miss the most, being able to go to work with your 20 best mates every day."

Luck will leave a big hole at the club on so many levels and it's why they offered him a one-year extension as well as a position on the back-room staff. Coach Brian McClennan had also started discussing the possibility of Luck joining the coaching team.

"That was unbelievable," Luck says. "I was blown away by those offers and so grateful those guys thought of me in that regard. But for the good of us, it's time to go back and let Murphy grow up surrounded by cousins, grandparents, aunties and uncles. It's time to start the next phase of my life.

"At the moment, I don't know what I will do but I won't say no to anything. I'm not all that concerned about it just yet. If I can stay involved in the game at a professional level, that would be great. But given there's only one team in Townsville and all those jobs are probably filled [it might be difficult]. If there's nothing, I will go back to drinking cans at the cans bar in Townsville."

Luck will probably do that anyway but he has more than just rugby league to fall back on. He's completing a masters in business with a focus on sports management and employment in that area is a possibility.

Even before he made his first-grade debut for the club in 2006, the side were stripped four competition points and fined $430,000 for a serious breach of the salary cap. He wasn't put off, however, because he was desperate to establish himself as a regular first-grader.

Luck played 76 games for the Cowboys over five seasons but most were off the bench and it didn't take long to make a decision to relocate when new Warriors coaches Ivan Cleary and Kevin Campion called. He hoped he would be more than a "bit-part player" for the Warriors. He was a lot more than that.

People will remember him for his tackling - he once made a record 74 in one game and in 2008 made the most of any player in the NRL. They'll also remember his leadership and work ethic and it's those qualities that earned him a call-up to the Queensland State of Origin side in 2007 as 18th man.

"If I walk off the field and I'm not exhausted, I'm disappointed in myself," he says.

Sometimes, however, he didn't walk off. In 2010, his leg was sliced open by the studs of Anthony Watmough, leaving an 18cm gash above his knee that was so gruesome, many who saw it nearly vomited. And last year, he missed a month (he was supposed to be out for two) after dislocating his knee cap. He's had four surgeries since November and the hand he broke in last year's grand final still hasn't healed.

Luck isn't one to complain about injuries - it's something that even annoys his wife ToniLee because he's clearly in pain - and thinks he's been fortunate throughout his career.

"Most of my stuff is superficial," he says. "Cuts here and there."

Luck once played 70 consecutive games for the Warriors but he's not as durable any more. And he knows it.

He has always wondered when the time was right to retire and those thoughts became more persistent last year. Last week, he settled on his decision.

"To go out on my own terms was something I always wanted to do," he says. "I didn't want to go a season too long - not be a burden on the rest of the team."

That epitomises Luck. The likeable 30-year-old doesn't want a fuss made about him and didn't think anyone would be too bothered when he retired. They are, because every team needs a Micheal Luck.

Sadly for the Warriors, their one won't be around for much longer.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Sad to see him retire.

I consider his on-field leadership was his most important asset. I believe Taylor is well on the way to being almost as effective a defender as Luck, as well as having an attacking game, but the one thing we need right now is a leader like Luck. We need someone who will tell the boys what-for in the in-goal, something Mannering doesn't do. I believe Taylor will also become a good leader in the future, and perhaps even captain, but without Luck on the field the team seems less cohesive.

I understand he wants to return to home for family, as Brent Tate and Jimmy Maloney have both done, but I really hope the club throws something really attractive at him to retain him as some type of defensive coach, or mentor, or leadership trainer.

We will struggle to fill the void he leaves.

I don't think our back row is as thin as some feel, as long as we pull Benry out of the centres and a few make the step up from the Vulcans. I have often thought that if Sam Lousi can mature a little and get a better work ethic, that he and Mateo interchanging would be something to behold, with Taylor at Lock and Mannering in the other spot. Benry would be backup in the Vulcans.

Robster

Warriors Bench Player
May 13, 2012
Hey guys. If no one is going to set something up then I would like to. :)

I believe Lucky has been one of the most aggressive Warriors of all and the Warriors best ever number 13. He certainty lives up to the name "Warrior'. So how bout a gift which signifies his definition of Warrior. He is one rare Aussie that can signify Kiwi man in a Warriors Jersey. A workhorse legend!! I'm sure like me - fans can agree that it comes up as true appreciation on the amount of times Lucky has put his body on the line to win us matches. He almost always topped the Warriors tackle count in matches and lately it is showing that the Warriors are lost without him. So I'm thinking a New Zealand gift that can show appreciation from the fans on this forum. Perhaps a Tiki necklace? or a personalized medal that states nzwarriorsfans.com Appreciation Medal?? Any Ideas?

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Thanks for the thought Robster. After some unfortunate recent events, it has been decided that whilst we will look into these initiatives (and he definately deserves a farewell present), that the present be organised by an administrator of NZWarriorsFans.com to ensure that it is clearly defined who the present is from. This will ensure no misrepresentation occurs, and that the it is well defined the present is actually from this forum, and not by other individuals/companies.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
I understand. Perhaps you tajhay can set this up?
will do mate.I will set it up within the next week or 2 as the season winds down. If you have any ideas (other than the one already posted) as potential gifts, feel free to post them on this thread.

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2012
christchurch
the site would need to get one first ;)
Sounds like it will cost a fair bit of coin, a poem then?

The body of a hero has all but maxed out.

For the warriors veteran we shout

Though your body looked gumpy, your leadership was skux

Too bad that your ball carrying pretty much sucks.

Whilst this is true you more than made up for it

You were the one who stopped our D from being Shit.

As a fan(rrior) of the warriors and as a fan of Michael Luck

We'll think of you every time we get to ****

drive a truck

Reactions: Jesbass

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings