General Michael Luck - Warriors Player of the Year 2009

DanKokoro_old

I'm a fanboy too, mainly because I liked what he brought to the table when we first signed him. And I like his commitment. I hope he continues in his old role..that involved far fewer touches and hitups on attack..

He absolutely needs to stop taking hittups.. The guy has no strength, he's easier than Stacey to bring down. And he will NEVER score close to the line and every time he's given the ball on an attacking set is a COMPLETE waste of a tackle. I dunno whhhhyyyy he keeps looking for the ball, doesn't he know he's ineffective? I understand he wants to get involved but he must see that his runs are a waste of a tackle? Is it that he wants to get involved? Or is it that he's just running a line and the halves keep giving it to him. I know Stacey loved to give him the ball way too much.

Does anyone else think he has an alright passing game though? I wouldn't mind if he got the ball so long as he's going to pass it to someone else. I also think that he passes the ball so infrequently that everyone is always expecting him to run it, which makes him even easier to take down. He's always getting drilled by like 3 tacklers and it's painful to watch.

As for his massive tackle count. It would be interesting to see some statistics that showed what percentage of tackles he was a main contributor in, compared to the tackles where he comes in late and sort of holds the player that's already pretty much been stopped, because i've noticed he does that ALOT. He might be trying to boost his stats.

ToiletDuck_old

Haha don't worry, many of those 40+ tacklers do that...I mainly know this because every week I subconsciously count the tackles of my players in NNRL. Hindmarsh etc are in same boat. But I see what you mean, he doesn't exactly rack up a huge dominant tackle count...although weren't we worst in the NRL in this category?

DanKokoro_old

Haha don't worry, many of those 40+ tacklers do that...I mainly know this because every week I subconsciously count the tackles of my players in NNRL. Hindmarsh etc are in same boat. But I see what you mean, he doesn't exactly rack up a huge dominant tackle count...although weren't we worst in the NRL in this category?

firstly... you're a nerd. Secondly.. I'd say without any statistical reference that we were definitely the worst. This big hits highlights for the Warriors this year would be pretty boring to watch. Ivans coaching obviously. Whens the last time you saw a Warriors player put the shoulder in? Definitely not this year...
We had no muss in our D what-so-ever. It must give the opposition alot of confidence knowing they're not going to get hurt in the tackle....

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah I'm fairly sure we had the least amount of dominant tackles at some point in the season, I remember hearing or reading the stat. And because I'm too lazy to go find out, I'll wait for someone else to come up with an official result.

jahc_old

As for his massive tackle count. It would be interesting to see some statistics that showed what percentage of tackles he was a main contributor in, compared to the tackles where he comes in late and sort of holds the player that's already pretty much been stopped, because i've noticed he does that ALOT. He might be trying to boost his stats.

2 extra men flopping on quickly before it can be deemed a flop, will slow down the player getting up. It's valuable IMO.

And Wiki did it too. :)

KeepingTheFaith_old

firstly... you're a nerd. Secondly.. I'd say without any statistical reference that we were definitely the worst. This big hits highlights for the Warriors this year would be pretty boring to watch. Ivans coaching obviously. Whens the last time you saw a Warriors player put the shoulder in? Definitely not this year...
We had no muss in our D what-so-ever. It must give the opposition alot of confidence knowing they're not going to get hurt in the tackle....

Matulino V Hilder against the Knights, and Ropati V Clinton against the Broncos. Can't think of too many other instances where our guys had angry pills in their system.

jahc_old

Matulino V Hilder against the Knights, and Ropati V Clinton against the Broncos. Can't think of too many other instances where our guys had angry pills in their system.
Matulino had one of those in him nearly every game in 2008. I was so disapointed in him this season. But yeah, much easier to smash when you're a bench player, you're fresh, and you're out wide with little 90kg guys trying to win the game in the last 5 minutes. IMO.