General McKinnon Takes Early Guilty Plea

Jesbass_old

McKINNON TAKES EARLY GUILTY PLEA ON CONTRARY CONDUCT CHARGE
Auckland, New Zealand, May 01, 2007 – Vodafone Warriors fullback Wade McKinnon has taken an early guilty plea on a grade three contrary conduct charge arising from Sunday’s NRL clash against South Sydney at Telstra Stadium.

McKinnon was charged with making contact with referee Jason Robinson in the 74th minute of the match.

By entering a guilty plea, McKinnon will miss the Vodafone Warriors’ next two games against Cronulla at home this Saturday night and Newcastle away a week later.

“I’m shattered about this and extremely disappointed that it’s happened,†said McKinnon.

“I’ve been playing in the NRL for six and half seasons now and have never had any judicial trouble before so it’s devastating for this to happen to me.

“The contact I made was totally accidental. That’s all I can say about it. I’m not denying the charge but there was no intent in it, no malice. I was just running across covering our line.

“But after talking with the club I understand the process and that contact with the referee can’t be accepted.â€

Vodafone Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah said McKinnon had the club’s full support.

“It’s really unfortunate for Wade. It was obviously an accident,†he said.

“But we realise there was contact so the charge has been admitted.â€

McKinnon said he would give his replacement as much support as possible but couldn’t wait to return to the side, hopefully for the home match against Wests Tigers on May 20.

(Warriors media release.)

Skinny_Ravs82

*sighs* Well I hate the thought we won't have him for the next couple of weeks but 2 weeks is way better than 3!!

Jesbass_old

He never would have won by fighting the charge. This is another opportunity for the depth of our squad to show itself.

Skinny_Ravs82

“The contact I made was totally accidental. That’s all I can say about it. I’m not denying the charge but there was no intent in it, no malice. I was just running across covering our line.

“But after talking with the club I understand the process and that contact with the referee can’t be accepted.”

Good to know he is aware of the rules and understand where he unfortunately went wrong.
So...at least we know he's feeling fine after 'spear tackling' himself two minutes prior to that! LOL :p

Esoj_old

only option really. contact was made and therefore wade was guilty. it is however very farcial that this accidential push gets more than a very deliberate tackle to lift wade up and drop him on his head.

AmeriKiwi_old

only option really. contact was made and therefore wade was guilty. it is however very farcial that this accidential push gets more than a very deliberate tackle to lift wade up and drop him on his head.

The only good things that came out of that game (apart from the Warriors win, of course) are the obstruction rule change and the fact that Wrong Call Robinson has put himself under a magnifying glass for all to see. Telling McKinnon "you put yourself in that position" could easily be construed to mean "you asked for it", as that`s the kind of ref he is, in my opinion. It`ll be interesting to see what kind of calls he`ll be making in the future, once the the rule change has been made.

Jesbass_old

The only good things that came out of that game (apart from the Warriors win, of course) are the obstruction rule change and the fact that Wrong Call Robinson has put himself under a magnifying glass for all to see. Telling McKinnon "you put yourself in that position" could easily be construed to mean "you asked for it", as that`s the kind of ref he is, in my opinion. It`ll be interesting to see what kind of calls he`ll be making in the future, once the the rule change has been made.

Actually, Robinson has been one of the better young referees of recent years. Apart from that match, where he had a dismal performance, he has usually performed quite well.

And the rule change isn't guaranteed, AK. It could go either way, with some coaches wanting a change, and other coaches wanting it to stay the way it is.

*Kimmy*_old

Lol as if it was accidental, he went out of his way to push him, sure the ref was a complete toss, but you still shouldnt shove/push a ref on puropose.

Jesbass_old

Lol as if it was accidental, he went out of his way to push him, sure the ref was a complete toss, but you still shouldnt shove/push a ref on puropose.

Actually, he didn't go out of his way to push him - he just kept on his line. But it wasn't accidental, lol.

*Kimmy*_old

Actually, he didn't go out of his way to push him - he just kept on his line. But it wasn't accidental, lol.
Yeh lol, well, yeh he was in line with him, but he wasnt infront of him, so its not like he was blocking him from defending, so I guess you could say he went out of his way? either way, it was no accident lol.

Skinny_Ravs82

I define it pretty much like an accident...but we aren't in that psotion we'll never know for sure. I said somewhere that it looked like they were sorta going in the same direction

Jesbass_old

Yeh lol, well, yeh he was in line with him, but he wasnt infront of him, so its not like he was blocking him from defending, so I guess you could say he went out of his way? either way, it was no accident lol.
But that's exactly my point - Robinson was in front of McKinnon. They were both running the exact same way, but Robinson was running a lot slower. The collision was inevitable, but the push was definitely intentional. You can't accidentally lift your hands and push someone away from you.

AmeriKiwi_old

Actually, Robinson has been one of the better young referees of recent years. Apart from that match, where he had a dismal performance, he has usually performed quite well.

And the rule change isn't guaranteed, AK. It could go either way, with some coaches wanting a change, and other coaches wanting it to stay the way it is.

The rule will be changed, no doubt. Defend the refs from last week all you like, JJ, but I saw what I saw and they`re a couple of chumps.

Skinny_Ravs82

But that's exactly my point - Robinson was in front of McKinnon. They were both running the exact same way, but Robinson was running a lot slower. The collision was inevitable, but the push was definitely intentional. You can't accidentally lift your hands and push someone away from you.
Actually you can accidentally do it without knowing because instintively if some was in your way or coming towards you'd put yer hand up (if there was no other option) and in defense of yourself you put your hands out and hit them

Jesbass_old

Actually you can accidentally do it without knowing because instintively if some was in your way or coming towards you'd put yer hand up (if there was no other option) and in defense of yourself you put your hands out and hit them
Lol...it wasn't in self defense, and the amount of effort he put into the push makes it clear to me that it wasn't accidental. I'm sure there was no malice involved, but it's not as if he slipped over and collided with the ref.

Kav_old

Compared with the "pat on the head" by Steve Roach and the "hold on brother" touch by Matthew Ridge and Nigel Vagana, this was a serious push that warranted more than two weeks suspension. I can't recall Roache's penalty (he was sent off or sin binned just prior) but Ridge and Vagana got hit with about six weeks if my memory is correct. Coupled with Wade's running verbal battle with the referee, he was very lucky to stay on the field. No matter what aggravates a player, he can't take the law (ie the ref) into his own hands.

Kav

Skinny_Ravs82

Lol...it wasn't in self defense, and the amount of effort he put into the push makes it clear to me that it wasn't accidental. I'm sure there was no malice involved, but it's not as if he slipped over and collided with the ref.
No, but what I'm saying is I can understand why he did it and although not at all correct it wasn't like he made the decision to give the ref a shove.

Jesbass_old

No, but what I'm saying is I can understand why he did it and although not at all correct it wasn't like he made the decision to give the ref a shove.
So if he didn't make the decision, who did? Are you suggesting he had no control of his body? Or are you just refusing to let him take responsibility for his own actions?