General McKinnon on his way?

warriors4life_old

From nzherald.co.nz

By Michael Brown

One stands 8cm taller and weighs 5kg more, but a check of their vital (NRL) statistics shows there is little to separate Brent Webb and Wade McKinnon.

With the Warriors' exit door about to swing open again at the end of the season, the talk in Sydney suggests Parramatta fullback Wade McKinnon will replace Brent Webb in 2007 in a three-year deal worth about $200,000 a season.

The Warriors still haven't offered Webb a new contract, believing he would hold out for a significant increase to his present deal. This figure could be as much as double what he's currently on and an amount believed to be significantly more than McKinnon would cost.

Webb has turned out to be one of the Warriors' best buys since his arrival in 2002 and the 11-test Kiwi has undoubtedly been one of the standouts for the club this season.

But McKinnon has also impressed in a similarly underperforming outfit at the Eels and, although stats don't tell the whole story, a comparison of the two shows many similarities.

McKinnon has played three less NRL games than Webb this season because of a facial injury and trails Webb by four in the try-scoring stakes. But the 25-year-old, who is an explosive runner, measures up well in other departments.

In the NRL's statistics, McKinnon ranks sixth in terms of line breaks - Webb is seventh - while Webb is 11th equal in try assists (7) and 20th in hit-ups (169 to McKinnon's 161).

They've amassed more than 700m in kick returns and both have a knack of scoring a try roughly once every three games throughout their career.

"It would be great to think we could keep every player but it's not always possible," Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said on the chances of retaining Webb. "We are attempting to buy the best players money will allow."

Although the salary cap has risen to A$4 million for 2007 (a net increase of $250,000), the Warriors are hamstrung by deferred payments from this year's salary cap infringement.

The payments amount to what Scurrah described as a "middle-type player", or someone believed to be on about $200,000-$250,000 a season.

Scurrah said the club would still contract 25 to their first-grade squad and would spend close to the salary cap of $4 million.

The Herald on Sunday understands the Warriors will give themselves a $100,000 buffer for the upgrade of players presently contracted.

"We are committed to getting the team performing as soon as we can and that really means we have to spend close to the cap," Scurrah said. "I'm really optimistic that in 2008 we should be aiming very high but I would like to think we would be aiming pretty high next year, too."

The club yesterday re-signed Evarn Tuimavave for another three years, with the prop turning down more lucrative deals in the UK and Australia to stay in Auckland. The 21-year-old is seen as a natural successor to Ruben Wiki and Steve Price and has impressed in 2006.

The Warriors are yet to commit to Epalahame Lauaki, Awen Guttenbeil and Webb, and they also need a replacement for winger Misi Taulapapa, who was sacked last week.

warriors4life_old

Looks like it's become more and more likely that McKinnon will come over.

warriors4life_old

And this one:

From stuff.co.nz

By STEVE KILGALLON

Parramatta fullback Wade McKinnon is the Warriors' new recruitment priority, signalling the near-certain departure of Kiwi test no. 1 Brent Webb, the Sunday Star-Times understands.

While clubs and agents cannot confirm deals before the June 30 NRL anti-tampering deadline, other clubs have withdrawn from negotiations with McKinnon because they believe he is already destined for Ericsson.

Webb's agent Jim Banaghan, meanwhile, is on his annual mid-season foray to England, and has been heavily touting his client to Super League clubs. He has also been offered to South Sydney.

It's thought Webb wants in the region of $300,000 a year and the Warriors cannot afford that much.

CEO Wayne Scurrah yesterday denied the club had given up on talks with Webb, but said the last week had been focused on negotiations with prop Evarn Tuimavave, who signed a new three-year deal yesterday. Tuimavave is the sixth off-contract Warriors to re-sign, leaving only Webb, Awen Guttenbeil and Epalahame Lauaki uncontracted. "We're down to probably five or six spots left now and it becomes a question of affordability," said Scurrah, who also confirmed a definite interest in Cronulla's New Zealand-qualified winger Luke Covell.

But he denied suggestions the club's relationship with Banaghan had deteriorated since the salary cap drama, noting they had been able to agree terms with the Brisbane-based agent for Tuimavave, one of his eight clients at Ericsson. "I'm really enjoying my football this year and I feel I am making progress," said Tuimavave.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary suggested he would add no more than two or three outsiders for 2007.

In a sign of the development status of next Tuesday's test with Great Britain, the Kiwis plan to unleash Bulldogs rookie Ben Roberts as their standoff in the game at St Helens.

The 20-year-old Roberts, who has played only three NRL games, will start at six, with Stacey Jones appearing at halfback.

But if Jones declines to play, Roberts could play No 7 in a youthful pairing with Brisbane youngster Greg Eastwood at standoff - if Eastwood is cleared of a suspected hamstring tear suffered in Brisbane's defeat by the Dragons on Friday night. Brisbane expects to know more tomorrow.

Kiwi coach Brian McClennan confirmed Jones' club Les Catalans will now release Jones for the test, but that the player must still decide whether he is fit. Jones will be given until late this week to make a decision.

"Stacey has got to feel comfortable and match fit to play, otherwise I wouldn't risk him. If he does, we want to play him alongside Roberts," McClennan said, adding he always intended to select the Sydney-born Roberts even before Parramatta's Jeremy Smith was ruled out by suspension. "I can see him becoming important to us," he said.

"I have been very impressed by the way he has handled himself. He is only 20 and he can get some good experience then go home and cement a spot. The other beauty is that he has a long kicking game -and we don't have any halves in New Zealand with that."

McClennan leaves for Britain tomorrow but will have only two training sessions before facing a full-strength British side. "We may even come up with one move in those training runs," he joked.

He has also been hamstrung by the non co-operation of NRL clubs. Eastwood is his only confirmed release, though David Kidwell (Melbourne) is expected to travel and the Warriors said yesterday Clinton Toopi could play if they have no backline injuries today.

But Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta) and Iosia Soliola (Roosters) will definitely not be released and McClennan is prepared to draft in extra players from England.

warriors4life_old

And Scurrah was confirmed we have shown a definite interest in Luke Covell...I hope it is not a great interest.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Yeah I hope not either. It's not that Covell is a bad player, we just have enough young talent to develop without adding him to the roster. He doesn't bring anything extra special.

EnterFien_old

As good a player Webb has been for us, I still don't think he plays consistant enough to be asking for $300,000. I believe McKinnion is a much more consistant player and we would not lose anything by signing him. If he can be signed for $200,000 I know who I would Sign.

Iafeta_old

I wonder how much Covell is asking for?

I have to say, he is a fairly consistent performer for Cronulla. I know he's much the same as Tony Martin in terms of goal kicking, but he has a nagging ability to get out of dangerous situations and set up some go forward in a set of six.

playdaball_old

I see that Mr Surrah has commented that the Warriors want to be known as a development club ie Broncos, rather than a club that buys players.

A serious question ...

Does development refer not only to local players ie Evarn, Manu etc but also the likes of Webb? He was picked up fro the QRL as a virtually unknown and developed by the Warriors. Same could be said for Kirk, the young lad from Easts.

Wiki_old

EnterFien said:
As good a player Webb has been for us, I still don't think he plays consistant enough to be asking for $300,000. I believe McKinnion is a much more consistant player and we would not lose anything by signing him. If he can be signed for $200,000 I know who I would Sign.

100% agreed.

Although I would have liked him to slot into 5/8 by now so we can really see what he is like.

Anyway, I am fine with unloading Webb if Wade comes to us.

sebastian_old

If other clubs have pulled out, thats mean hes coming in my eyes. Great replacement for a great player.

Skinny_Ravs82

Obviously with Webby having played test footy (has Wade made rep footy yet?!) then I guess his demands would be higher to be perfectly honest. As the article says there isn't THAT big a difference between them so you don't lose a lot. It's interesting because were the Dogs and Rabbits interested just a few days ago?!

sebastian_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Obviously with Webby having played test footy (has Wade made rep footy yet?!) then I guess his demands would be higher to be perfectly honest. As the article says there isn't THAT big a difference between them so you don't lose a lot. It's interesting because were the Dogs and Rabbits interested just a few days ago?!

Wade's never made rep cause the silly dill went to souths, i reckon the rabbits will still offer him a contract, they're tryin to sign everyone with a football, but he will not go there again as hes already been to souths unsuccsesfully.

Jesbass_old

stuff.co.nz said:
While clubs and agents cannot confirm deals before the June 30 NRL anti-tampering deadline, other clubs have withdrawn from negotiations with McKinnon because they believe he is already destined for Ericsson.

I like what I see, there. :)

warriorfaithful*_old

Jesbass said:
stuff.co.nz said:

I like what I see, there. :)

Yeah it seems more and more likley every day that webb will go for mckinnon!!! Which isnt toooo bad! Although id rather have webb here than mckinnon. But you arent losing to much with mckinnon hes a quality plaer!

warriors4life_old

Did anyone see the article in Big League last week about the top 15 fullbacks in the NRL and Webb was 12th I think, rated below guys like Milton Thaiday? That was pretty poor I think and Wade McKinnon was 13th, Webb was rated 7.3 and McKinnon was 7.2 I think.

warriorfaithful*_old

warriors4life said:
Did anyone see the article in Big League last week about the top 15 fullbacks in the NRL and Webb was 12th I think, rated below guys like Milton Thaiday? That was pretty poor I think and Wade McKinnon was 13th, Webb was rated 7.3 and McKinnon was 7.2 I think.

Yeah i wulda thought webb coulda been top 10. Who was number 1?

warriors4life_old

warriorfaithful* said:
warriors4life said:

Yeah i wulda thought webb coulda been top 10. Who was number 1?

Who else but Count Minichiello.