Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Dragons chasing BHU also now. Have a look on the sharks forever site under the AFB and BHU threads, there’s still some posturing going on for sharks to get AFB early. Says we won’t budge but they think if we have a slow start to the season, he could be negotiated for an early release.
Wishful thinking on their part, no way we give up any chance of finals regardless of if we have a slow start.

Dragons chasing BHU also now. Have a look on the sharks forever site under the AFB and BHU threads, there’s still some posturing going on for sharks to get AFB early. Says we won’t budge but they think if we have a slow start to the season, he could be negotiated for an early release.
Haha they think they have a cool $mill spare in cap space to start the season.

I certainly think the BHU deal to us in ‘25 is no sure thing. Heard something online during the week that Sharks are still keen to keep him and arestill trying to work how they can keep him
The public known interest in Terrell May from the sharks surely means they know something about BHU’s future? Dragons interest blurs things a bit though in relation to him coming to the Warriors, wouldn’t have to leave Sydney if he went to them. If we’re still a premiership threat and the point he is in his career could have a bearing?

If other teams want to bid on BHU then in the words of Optimus Prime - Let them come.
If BHU fancies St George over the warriors then we don't want that type of a decision maker in our team to begin with.
If it all falls through on BHU then we need a new contingency plan which may mean waiting to 2026 and converting a back rower to prop for next year.

Next years starting props
Barnett (if we can keep him)
Tohu Harris
as Starting Props

Bench props
Afoa
Some younger player who puts their hand up

And maybe without AFB next year we just admit at the start of 2025 in the pre-season this a rebuilding year. And it might be necessary for it be a rebuilding year anyway if SJ doesn't go around in 2025.

If other teams want to bid on BHU then in the words of Optimus Prime - Let them come.
If BHU fancies St George over the warriors then we don't want that type of a decision maker in our team to begin with.
If it all falls through on BHU then we need a new contingency plan which may mean waiting to 2026 and converting a back rower to prop for next year.

Next years starting props
Barnett (if we can keep him)
Tohu Harris
as Starting Props

Bench props
Afoa
Some younger player who puts their hand up

And maybe without AFB next year we just admit at the start of 2025 in the pre-season this a rebuilding year. And it might be necessary for it be a rebuilding year anyway if SJ doesn't go around in 2025.
I agree regarding your statement around sentiment of him wanting to commit to us or going elsewhere, it sounds like the only he’d stay with the sharks is if he’s prepared to take a far lower offer than what he can get elsewhere. Likely just business but dragons could have taken the Volkman situation personally and look to be a thorn in our side across many potential targets? Front rower is only real target though I think we require. A big second rower able to be negotiated with that could make the switch to front row is Cowboys Finefeuiaki, or even Heilum Luki. Big specimens and would be sticking it up dragons who are chasing both also apparently.

I agree regarding your statement around sentiment of him wanting to commit to us or going elsewhere, it sounds like the only he’d stay with the sharks is if he’s prepared to take a far lower offer than what he can get elsewhere. Likely just business but dragons could have taken the Volkman situation personally and look to be a thorn in our side across many potential targets? Front rower is only real target though I think we require. A big second rower able to be negotiated with that could make the switch to front row is Cowboys Finefeuiaki, or even Heilum Luki. Big specimens and would be sticking it up dragons who are chasing both also apparently.
Noitall do you agree with me that it is getting harder to acquire a player? It just feels in my heart since we have had 17 teams that there is more competition for players vs 16 teams. I know it is only team difference but it just seems to have creamed off 30 quality players to the dolphins leaving everyone else to scrap over a smaller pool of available players.

With regards to those two 2nd row convert projects you mention, if BHU falls through then we will have AFB's salary burning a hole in our pocket for next year which effectively means we can make a bid for whoever we want even a one million dollar plus player. I really hope Warriors are deep into contingency planning now and have a complicated map spread across the windows with string intersecting players like the scenes from a beautiful mind.

Here's some more to stir the pot about a back flip maybe from BHU

News articles are dated January 23 2024 about the Warriors tabling a $2.2M offer for BHU
The cool down period according to Google for the new CBA is ten days
January 23rd is 15 business days ago.

News articles are dated January 23 2024 about the Warriors tabling a $2.2M offer for BHU
Uh oh, getting worried now wrighty. But if he signs somewhere else, ehh who needs him anyway, he's always injured.

Noitall do you agree with me that it is getting harder to acquire a player? It just feels in my heart since we have had 17 teams that there is more competition for players vs 16 teams. I know it is only team difference but it just seems to have creamed off 30 quality players to the dolphins leaving everyone else to scrap over a smaller pool of available players.

With regards to those two 2nd row convert projects you mention, if BHU falls through then we will have AFB's salary burning a hole in our pocket for next year which effectively means we can make a bid for whoever we want even a one million dollar plus player. I really hope Warriors are deep into contingency planning now and have a complicated map spread across the windows with string intersecting players like the scenes from a beautiful mind.
I think the 10 day period in which teams have the first right to continue negotiations with player has the potential to drag it out. There’s been a cooling off period for some time but with someone like BHU, the sharks could keep increasing their offer enough to keep him interested and at the table? I would hope BHU wouldn’t need too much convincing, he would have been around Webster as assistant Samoan coach at the last World Cup that had BHU amongst it. He needs to want to be apart of something special and the money offered to him should tell him that the club thinks he adds value.

I think the 10 day period in which teams have the first right to continue negotiations with player has the potential to drag it out. There’s been a cooling off period for some time but with someone like BHU, the sharks could keep increasing their offer enough to keep him interested and at the table? I would hope BHU wouldn’t need too much convincing, he would have been around Webster as assistant Samoan coach at the last World Cup that had BHU amongst it. He needs to want to be apart of something special and the money offered to him should tell him that the club thinks he adds value.
If the Sharks have 10 days to counter-offer and he turns it down to sign with us, is there an additional cooling off period for the new contract on top of that?

I understood it as the player has a 10 day cooling off period from the day they signed a contract, not from when they had an offer put to them. If i'm right then the cooling off period doesn't come into the equation with BHU.

Back