General Matthew Ridge Greatest Ever Kiwi Back??

95tilinfinity

95tilinfinity

Just interested to hear people's opinion on Matthew Ridge one of my all time favourite kiwi players. Had a bad stint at warriors but all in all had a great career at the top level. Wish he was involved in the media in some way because he was always good for a controversial sound bite. Last I heard he owns a car wash in Auckland?? Anyways was a great player and I believe the best ever kiwi back!!

Reactions: 1 user
Defence

Defence

Ridge was good. Safe as a house- ultra competitive- super boot- great talker/ organizer and super confident but.... Marshall, jones and Freeman were better IMO

Sup42

Sup42

Ridge was awesom, but my favorite full back was Darryl williams because the most important full back role is stopping tries.
Williams was a heat seeking missle, spectacular stops millimeters from the paint was his bread and butter.

brightman

brightman

Ridge was awesom, but my favorite full back was Darryl williams because the most important full back role is stopping tries.
Williams was a heat seeking missle, spectacular stops millimeters from the paint was his bread and butter.
Daryl definitely gets my backing. I fell in love with league watching him and the Sorenson brothers.

fanrrior

fanrrior

C'mon, you can't talk about NZ's greatest bach without mentioning Hohaia.... Yeah, nah.

bigstu

bigstu

if you wanna see a good league video try hunt down the converts its about the career of mathew ridge and Michael O'Connor and how they both started off in union then went to league.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
if you wanna see a good league video try hunt down the converts its about the career of mathew ridge and Michael O'Connor and how they both started off in union then went to league.
yes, i particularly like ridge and oconnor playing golf. ridge's quote 'i'll wrap this golf bat around your head'.
was a very good video. particularly like it because i rate mick oconnor.

mode81

mode81

Ridgey would probably go down as one of the best competitors but greatest ever Kiwi back is debateable considering he never won anything significant for The Kiwis but different strokes for different folks as they say.

Most probably the 1995 RLWC semi final was the most heart breaking moment when we lost in over time to Ozzy when Ridgey missed two attempts at drop goal in the dying minutes that 95' team could have been the World Champions and wouldn't have been a need for over time if he potted one of those field goals.

I think Ridge is one of the successful union to league converts , his toughness and longevity at NRL level is without question. One of the best Kiwis to have played NRL no doubt but at test level never really dominated to the extent he could have.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Greatest Kiwi ever? Definately debatable but certainly up there. My favourite was always Rueben Wiki. Agree with the comment about not dominating at International level as well as he did in the ARL level. Was always proud to see him doing so well in Aussie and winning the 1996 Premiership.

Ridge was credited in Stacey Jones' autobiography with bringing a super competitive edge to the Warriors and his work ethic and preparation were second to none.

rugged

rugged

one of the drop goals ridge missed he was on his right had to change to his left and it shaved the posts from 40ms out. Despite it missing it may be one of the most skillful drop kicks I have seen. He would have to be top 5 nz nrl players of all time

Reactions: 1 users