Player Matt Lodge

nakiproud

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 29, 2016
Unbelievable recruitment... Nathan Brown playing his part.. Had a dream we announced Craig Bellamy as coach for 2022...maybe I was getting carried away! Its weird, I was a hard no on de belin... Unrepentant, but with lodge I see someone trying to make up for it. Let's hope we can finally watch the boys play this year in person!!!

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
A brilliant signing for the Warriors - we need another big bopper to gain some momentum and dominance up front.
It will be interesting to see how they play him in terms of minutes. I’ve been confused by Browns tactics this year and he has the ability to play longer minutes.
Will this mean that the likes of Bunty, Evans, Ah Mau getting even less minutes?

Reactions: Boats n Hoes

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
I would rather 17 useless poms and a wooden spoon than Matt Lodge. Genuinely.
I get what your angry about. What the guy done was very very bad, and normally i would not want anyone like that at the club.

But it happened in 2015. 6 years ago. When he was 19. And hes made changes to his life since then to change his life.

I dont think that we should write somebody off for a huge mistake that they made at the age of 19.

The media now labels him controversial. I guess im controversial as well because some of the things i did at 19 were not shining examples of a model citezen, but ive grown as a man and changed the way i live my life, having a supportive partner and kids that you need to set an example for does that.

Let's give him a chance?

But if he does anything like that again we tear his contract up, simple.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
This is another recruitment success from what's turning out to be Year of the Deal.

Amazing how things have changed in this club since old mate mohawk got his hands on it.

CG mentioned a couple of slots so maybe one more to come, hooker or half?

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
Can see what the guy brings from a football POV but definitely worries me what he brings (or doesn’t bring) from a culture POV. You can always undo a lot of good work in an organisation with one bad egg. I remain hopeful but just hope he isn’t that bad egg.

Certainly an interesting mix of players POS has assembled

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Can see what the guy brings from a football POV but definitely worries me what he brings (or doesn’t bring) from a culture POV. You can always undo a lot of good work in an organisation with one bad egg. I remain hopeful but just hope he isn’t that bad egg.

Certainly an interesting mix of players POS has assembled
I think hes matured a lot now. He committed the offense when he was 19. hes 26 now and hasn't put a foot wrong since.

Reactions: Defence

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
I think hes matured a lot now. He committed the offense when he was 19. hes 26 now and hasn't put a foot wrong since.
Also hes was captain material i know it was at the lowley broncos but i feel like his early career off field problems with substance abuse took the light off his leadership qualities.

He has been hard working and always leading from the front in a terrible team, and i wouldnt discount someone with that mindset who now has something to prove after being essentially paid to leave his former club.

Also this move could be great for matt, get him away from those old demons and that narritive of controversy and let him start anew.

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
I would rather 17 useless poms and a wooden spoon than Matt Lodge. Genuinely.
Don't care for him as a person. However, as a player I think he is quite average and suffered his fair share of injuries over the last 2 years.

I'm more concerned about what he does to the club culture...why were Broncos he'll bent on letting him go. Why did the Newcastle deal fall over?
For the good of the club I hope he is a success but have some feeling is it a case of looking after his son inlaw like he did with his son.

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
Remember we are a football club not hiring for a monastery.
Yes there are other commercial considerations to factor in, such was the fallout from other high profile cases.
But as a society we normally give people a second chance.

I think a great piece of work by recruitment.

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
He has been in career best form for the Broncos and consistently their best player.
Last year he was solid only and lacked any flair.
This year he is rampaging and off loading.
I think we now have the two best props in the game.

Reactions: Mr Brownstone

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
I’ve had him in my fantasy team this year so I’ve followed him closely. At the start of the season he seemed to struggle with match fitness and just seemed to plod along. As the season has gone on he’s gotten better and better though. He’s a rock on defence and although he’s slow he hits the line powerfully and can break tackles and offload. He played 76 minutes in his last game and still wasn’t dropping off tackles at the end. If he can keep his current form up he’s easily our second best prop and would likely be the best prop in many of the NRL teams.

Last edited:

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
Funny people still holding something against him that happened 6 years ago when he was 19.

Since then has gone sober, turned his life around and hasn't put a foot wrong since.

I think him and Addin Fonua-Blake will make each other better, I know who I would rather take a hit up after out of Ah Mau or Lodge.

He has a decent offload in him too so hopefully this change of scenery lets him take his game up a level, he started the year slow but has looked great over recent weeks in a dogs hit team

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
Funny people still holding something against him that happened 6 years ago when he was 19.

Since then has gone sober, turned his life around and hasn't put a foot wrong since.

I think him and Addin Fonua-Blake will make each other better, I know who I would rather take a hit up after out of Ah Mau or Lodge.

He has a decent offload in him too so hopefully this change of scenery lets him take his game up a level, he started the year slow but has looked great over recent weeks in a dogs hit team
I guess the writting is on the wall for Leeson Ah-Mau?

Shame i would much rather him and bunty as the bench props.

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
Don't care for him as a person. However, as a player I think he is quite average and suffered his fair share of injuries over the last 2 years.

I'm more concerned about what he does to the club culture...why were Broncos he'll bent on letting him go. Why did the Newcastle deal fall over?
For the good of the club I hope he is a success but have some feeling is it a case of looking after his son inlaw like he did with his son.
The talk is the Bronco's are throwing $1,000,000.00 towards covering is wage, that is looking after your club not son-in-law, throw in the money the Doggies are giving us to cover Dallin Watene-Zelezniak's wage, the resigning of Shaun Johnson for half of what he was on when he left, the signing and poaching of Walsh etc. Even if your claim of nepotism had any merit which I firmly believe it doesn't I think POS has more than earned some benefit of the doubt.
While it still remains to be reproduced on the field I can't remember ever being so excited about Warriors recruitment.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Not thrilled with the signing but he's part of the team & I'll back him.
Warriors have been short on Aussie trained players with a bit of mongrel. Well now they have got them. The team should be stronger for this signing.
Concern is that he actually wants to play for the Warriors & it's not just a convenient contract.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Not thrilled with the signing but he's part of the team & I'll back him.
Warriors have been short on Aussie trained players with a bit of mongrel. Well now they have got them. The team should be stronger for this signing.
Concern is that he actually wants to play for the Warriors & it's not just a convenient contract.
Have a feeling his father in law has been after him for a while and he was keen to come BUT, the price tag was far too high.

Getting the Bronx to pick up a fair wad of the cash probably got it over the line.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings