Player Matt Lodge

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
I am fairly sure salary payments are twice a year. so any compensation for contract would change that accordingly. That isn't just NRL rules, it is employment law.
Monthly in most cases.
The more they offer the fecker the better for us.
His next contract has no bearing on his warriors payout. His player option was bought out. He may ofcourse choose to take less at another club but that does not impact Warriors at all.

Reactions: 2 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Monthly in most cases.

His next contract has no bearing on his warriors payout. His player option was bought out. He may ofcourse choose to take less at another club but that does not impact Warriors at all.
I was going on what used to happen under the NSWRL system. two payments a season...with a sign on fee up front. that is why they needed a job back then.

as for the payout it depends if it is compensation for lost wages....if he gets new wages no compensation. If the payout was to keep him quiet for some breach of contract that is different, and really stupid, and so basically an out of court settlement not subject to salary cap. as far as I can se. Just saying like.

Reactions: 1 user
Ozwarrior

Ozwarrior

NRL 2022: Matt Lodge’s plea to NRL CEO Andrew Abdo to get back on footy field | Sport Confidential | Daily Telegraph​

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo has dismissed any suggestion the game is making it hard for Matt Lodge to find a new club and revealed he personally invited the former Warriors and Brisbane prop to speak to salary cap bosses at Rugby League Central.
It is understood several clubs have expressed an interest in Lodge but have been reluctant to make a move given the notional value that has been placed on him by head office.

Lodge was concerned enough to call Abdo to seek some clarity around the NRL’s decision. As a result of those talks, Abdo invited Lodge to visit Rugby League Central and speak to salary cap auditor Matthew Faulkner.

Abdo also assured Lodge it was common practice and the game would be more than happy to register a fresh contract for the 27-year-old provided it fell within the rules.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

Matt Lodge is desperate to get back on the footy field after his dramatic Warriors’ exit. Picture: NRL Imagery.

Matt Lodge is desperate to get back on the footy field after his dramatic Warriors’ exit. Picture: NRL Imagery.
“We will register a contract,” Abdo said.

“What has happened in the past has happened. We will register a contract – it just needs to be with the rules.

“We wouldn’t break the rules for any player. We didn’t do it for Sonny Bill [Williams].”

It is understood Lodge has been valued at about $20,000 a game by the salary cap department, meaning he would be valued in the cap at around $200,000.

Few clubs have that sort of space at their disposal. Lodge has been linked in recent weeks with Parramatta, Manly and Melbourne. All three clubs would meet his desire to play for a side that can fight for a premiership.

Abdo revealed the game had offered Lodge support while he remained on the sidelines.

Andrew Abdo have assured Lodge the NRL will register a contract, so long as it falls within the rules. Picture: Getty Images.

Andrew Abdo have assured Lodge the NRL will register a contract, so long as it falls within the rules. Picture: Getty Images.
“He called me because he was saying he really needed to play,” Abdo said.

“I said I was happy for him to come in, put his case forward and they can explain to you the rules. That has happened.

“It was just explaining how it works. He is very keen to play. We have offered him support. He can play [NSW] cup until he picks up an NRL contract.

“The salary cap auditor has to have a contract proposal put to him by a club. That hasn’t happened yet – there have been some inquiries.

“Everyone knows how the salary cap system works. It is pretty straight forward.”

More related stories

Reactions: 2 users
Dangerous

Dangerous

How can lodge be judged to be worth only 200k when his last contract with us was for 700k surely thats a more realistic value????.Fuckn shady NRL

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

This scenario is getting decidedly smelly. I'm picking the hand of Isaac is well and truly in it

kenny44

kenny44

How can lodge be judged to be worth only 200k when his last contract with us was for 700k surely thats a more realistic value????.Fuckn shady NRL

$200k for the remainder of this regular season. $20k per game x 10 games = $200k.

Extrapolating that out, they are saying his market value is a minimum of $500k which is on the lower end of what I'd expect he'd be signed for at a new club, so seems above board to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Blackdot

Blackdot

$200k for the remainder of this regular season. $20k per game x 10 games = $200k.

Extrapolating that out, they are saying his market value is a minimum of $500k which is on the lower end of what I'd expect he'd be signed for at a new club, so seems above board to me.
500k is the value of the contract he has with us next season (I believe).

Reactions: 3 users
Defence

Defence

I think it’s so shit how clubs can pick players up this late in the season- should be a mid season cut off.

Reactions: 4 users
Blain

Blain

TPJ to Panthers last season was a farce.

Yeah makes a joke of contracts and the salary cap. A round 13 cut off would be fair. Would stop players trying to break contract mid year, which is all to common.

Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brownstone

Yeah makes a joke of contracts and the salary cap. A round 13 cut off would be fair. Would stop players trying to break contract mid year, which is all to common.
Even round 13 is too late I reckon. End of April should be the cut off. Players intentionally underperforming, like Leilua, to force an early transfer is disgraceful.

Reactions: 10 users
TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Is there a thread for a 'Potential Transfer Window' Discussion? I can't find one but it would be a good to see everyones thoughts on it in the one place.

jonesy101

jonesy101

Even round 13 is too late I reckon. End of April should be the cut off. Players intentionally underperforming, like Leilua, to force an early transfer is disgraceful.
Its destroying the integrity of the competition. As a supporter you invest in the fortunes of the 30 man squad for the season. Seeing players line up one week for a club and then face them as opposition within the space of a week is farcical (e.g. Nikorima and Naden). The scenes of Maumalo in an emotional state last year when his time at the club ended abruptly was a difficult watch as well. In fact 2021 was such a revolving door of player transfers for the Warriors in particular there was little identity to the team in the end, as seen in the awful Titans game, it became jading and its kind of repeated itself again this season. There are unique circumstances at the moment, but once they are based back in NZ it needs to settle.

The NRL need to fix this pronto as its gotten beyond ridiculous. The squads should be locked in for the duration of the season. Maybe extend the top 30 squads to 34 to allow a few more fringe players from reserve grade for injury cover, what we are seeing at the moment has to stop.

Reactions: 10 users
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I’m kinda in the boat that he’s getting paid regardless, should be some consequences for walking out of a contract

Reactions: 1 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
I’m kinda in the boat that he’s getting paid regardless, should be some consequences for walking out of a contract
From the sounds of it he had grounds to walk out. No matter what Cameron George said..

Reactions: 1 users