Player Matt Lodge

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
If the Broncos paid half of Lodge (as stated in the media) and we got him for the same price as Leeson Ah-Mau (who leaves); Shaun Johnson is subsidised and on less than Nikorima (who leaves), I’m thinking we still have big money for another signing. Most of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s cash. Potentially more cash if Fusitua leaves.

The positions we could look to upgrade:

1 - top level 9 OR 6
2 - a top level second rower
3 - lower priority is centre as we have depth. It would upgrade if a top player is available

Doubt it would be before the cut off now but I’m picking 1 more big name for next season!

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Controversial I know, but... Have we just signed our new Captain?
I like it. Seeing a flawed individual giving it his all despite his challenges might just be the rocket some of our guys who are coasting through life and who, as Blake Green confessed, 'don't even like footy' need to realise their lot in life is one of real privilege.

Think he has a bit of Kevin Campion in him :)

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
He is, broncs r footing a chunk of the bill
Hopefully it went like this.

Warriors "We'll take him off you if you foot 20% of his salary
Broncos "We already turned down the Knights with us paying 20%
Warriors "We can take him off you for 30%
Broncos "Nah he's not going anywhere
Broncos "Hey are you still keen we will pay 40% of the bill now
Warriors "40% is a bit tight on our cap, how about 50%?
"Broncos "Done, we got a good deal there""

To the experienced fans, more so than me, question, how are we doing this

Under sk there was no action in this thread
Well there was action. It just always ended with disappointment. Kind of like the games on the weekend.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
From NRL.com… basically we have him this season and next year and he then has a player option for the following year (so not guaranteed he will be here in 2023). Best bit is the donkeys are payin a significant chunk of his salary. POS is a genius!

NRL.com understands that Lodge's Warriors move will involve the terms of his first 2023 player option at the Broncos being taken across to the Kiwi side.

Lodge's Brisbane contract ranks as one of the most lucrative for a prop in the NRL, and it's understood the club will contribute almost a seven-figure sum to his Warriors wage should Lodge take up his player option after 2022.

Dangerous

1st Grade Fringe
May 22, 2012
Good signing IMO !!!! POS has been the best thing to happen to the Warriors. Hes transformed our forward pack from short stocky players who always got owned whenever we played the Storm or the Roosters
to a forward pack who are big & mobile with good motors & should be able to mix it with the best & maybe even dominate some packs .
I've watched Lodge closely this year & he's always taking the tough hit ups & is a brick wall in defense in the middle he'll add a
hard edge to our pack.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
A few hypocrites that are fine to ignore or forgive indiscretions of our other players past and present yet take the moral high ground on this one? He’ll add to our squad and is exactly what we need in our squad right now- great signing

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I'm glad the Broncos don't have any mixed messages coming out of their club. No players going anywhere sounds like we will take your best offers. TPJ is probably sitting down looking at 3-4 contracts right now thinking does he want to go to another low club, live by the beach, somewhere with little traffic.

Kevvie "No players are going anywhere
Ikin "Kevvie, I've looked at my spreadsheets and we need offload Lodge
Kevvie "No problem, I've bluffed him enough times he's use to it by now.
Ikin "I've sold him to the Warriors, effective immediatley
Kevvie "Sweet, I can still name him captain for the rest of the season
Ikin "Sure Kevvie"....................................................I might need a new coach.

#robbiemears

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 1, 2015
Lodge will be the 2020s version of Villa the Gorilla, that big, menacing unit in the middle of the field that no one wants to run at. Aside from all the other recruitment fails over the past decade, one of the more significant - and damaging - ones has been a perpetual lack of aggression in the pack. Warriors forwards have been intrinsically soft since Campion, Monte and Villa moved on.

Lodge will be the enforcer we so badly need: a beefed up, 6 inch taller version of our current tough guy, Jazz. Hopefully under the auspices of POS, he'll row in line with the rest of the team because he does have a reputation as a stirrer. And charismatic stirrers can be problematic, as we all learned from Manu's time at the club.

But he has his (not quite) father-in-law's endorsement on the line, which he won't want to blow. And even more compelling for a guy that seems bright and driven: he's arriving at a club suddenly full of people thinking laterally about how to solve deeply entrenched issues.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Broncos putting in $1 million over 2.5 seasons?
1.5 seasons is his length of deal
Screenshot_20210701-185216_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: bruce and Sup42

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Why are the broncos making this move team? Why not keep lodge?
A. Broncos have clearly shown in the last 18 months that they are not above making some poor poor decisions.

B. So much money loaded into their star forward pack means they have little in other key areas. Having Lodge, Haas, Carrigan, Riki, TPJ, Flegler as well as up and comers Robati and Paikura means that the Warriors paying 4-500k for Lodge gives them that money to spend somewhere else.

Edit - But also, they go and sign Capewell lol. So, what do I know

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Fact of the matter is, Matt Lodge, the home invader himself, would have been getting high 6 figures to play NRL the next few years no matter what, whether he's one of ours or not.

The brongos campaigned for him to get reinstated in the first place, then gave him a hugely over inflated contract (sorry guys, he's good, but he's not elite) and now they are paying us to take him off their hands? Ah what fools those brenkos be.

Let that thought comfort you, if you do feel a bit iffy about supporting him - its a bargain, so hard to turn down a bargain.

Now that Ikin works there the propaganda arm on fox sports will try and spin this as good for their culture, but never forget they are paying one of their only good players to play against them - they are a disgrace.

And they didn't think Walsh was worth anything more than a development contract.

And they hired Kevin Walters.

If only Melbourne would catch this mad horse disease as well

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
A. Broncos have clearly shown in the last 18 months that they are not above making some poor poor decisions.

B. So much money loaded into their star forward pack means they have little in other key areas. Having Lodge, Haas, Carrigan, Riki, TPJ, Flegler as well as up and comers Robati and Paikura means that the Warriors paying 4-500k for Lodge gives them that money to spend somewhere else.

Edit - But also, they go and sign Capewell lol. So, what do I know
Glory glory to Kurt Cape well....
Aw wait..

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating