General Matt Checchin retiring

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
Don't forget this is the same geezer who a couple of years ago said his was retiring because of the abuse he received on social media and the Warriors paid him tribute at the last game he ref'd at MSS.

Then he backtracked and ref'd the season after that and up to the present day

Last edited:

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Don't forget this is the same geezer who a couple of years ago said his was retiring because of the abuse he received on social media and the Warriors paid him tribute at the last game he ref'd at MSS.

He was going to go referee in superleague, but had visa issues. Came back to the NRL after being asked to by the then NRL referees boss.

I thought this quote was telling of the current ref environment.
When you’re younger, you look for the big decisions to show everyone you can do it. I’m running around now thinking I just want to get through it.”

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
“The game is way more technical,” he said. “The difficulty now is the contradiction between what the game wants from the referee and what it expects."

He also says that he makes a conscious decision to step back in many situations to let the game flow rather than be black and white (and fair).

This is the problem. The NRL doesn't want 30 penalties a game so asks the refs to step back and use their judgment about when to ease off. This is when we get the unconscious bias, or the pressure from the more dominant teams and players. Combine this with the extreme crackdown rules, and incompetent bunkers and it is a combination that is bound to anger fans.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Under Cecchin, if you remove the matches he's reffed us against the Storm & Roosters, we ain't actually got too bad of a record under him. With him gone it means we get Atkins, Butler & Chris Sutton more often. That's not positive news

Reactions: bruce

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
89B408E4-429D-48EF-9CD0-A69F63F6AF39.jpeg

Lol he retired cause he got sick of referring the warriors

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012

His visa for the UK fell through as he planned to finish his career in super league.

He was coaxed back by Graham Annesely

Reactions: bruce

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I think Bill Harrigan had said similar things, the great John Percival was the same.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings