Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
astatic.stuff.co.nz_1336703525_588_6905588.jpg

Mateo: Playing for Warriors hinders Origin chances

Warriors second-rower Feleti Mateo says playing for the Kiwi club is hampering his State of Origin ambitions.
Mateo, who is eligible for New South Wales, said playing away from the spotlight of Australian media was an obstacle to Origin selection.
"It is a disadvantage but I've just got to work hard and put my hand up," he told LiveSport this morning.
"In the past you've had other players that were chances. I think Wade McKinnon (former Warriors fullback) was a chance of playing Origin but just by playing for the Warriors I think it is a disadvantage."
"If I can just keep playing as well as I can, hopefully I'll play good enough where they can't not pick me."
Mateo won selection to the NSW City team for their annual clash against NSW Country last month but said he hadn't heard from New South Wales coach Ricky Stuart ahead of the first game of the Origin series on May 23.
"I haven't heard anything from him. It's probably a good thing, I just want to worry about playing good footy for the Warriors," he said.
Former Kiwis international and LiveSport host Dean Lonergan called Mateo "One of the most complete second-rowers that the game has got."
Earlier this year Mateo pledged his allegiance to Australia so he could chase his Origin dream.
He represented Tonga at the 2008 world cup and was also eligible for England through his Oxford-born mother and New Zealand by having been a resident for two years since moving to Auckland to play for the Warriors.
At the time Mateo conceded he was taking a chance by deciding to turn his back on Tonga.
"I had to change my eligibility if I wanted to play Origin and did so proudly. It's a bit of a risk but I am willing to take and hopefully it pays off," he said.
Mateo moved to the Warriors from the Parramatta Eels for the start of the 2011 season and appeared in all of the club's games last season as they made it all the way to the grand final.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6905501/Mateo-Playing-for-Warriors-hinders-Origin-chances

================================================================
Maybe a little bit. Pricey made it while playing here.
I think if the Warriors started the season like they have played the last few weeks, he'd be more of a chance.
Mateo has hardly been the offload king he was last year either and he still scares me when he has the ball :D

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
His form has been fairly disappointing in the last few weeks - I think he's due for a big one this weekend. Why is it harder making Origin from New Zealand? Don't the selectors just watch the weekends games and make their minds up? I'd assume that they wouldn't head down to trainings and see how they're performing there. Surely they're not influenced by the media?

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i think it's a beat up.. they play in aus basically every second weekend. If he was in great form, i'm sure they'd take a punt.
He needs to be playing better the incumbents to get a look in first and foremost.

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
Oh I guess they would only see him live every second week... I didn't think about that. Would selectors be going to every single game in Sydney/Melbourne/QLD?

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
No idea how they go about it tbh, but they can't be at every game in aus surely?

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, i don't see it tbh. If he was playing outta his skin they'd be watching.
Airfares to auks must be comparable to flights to townsville/melbourne from sydney?

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
Unless there's one selector already in each city in Aus? Who are the selectors? Some of them would be media personalities, so they'd be at the games on business anyway?

Reaction score
krs_64

krs_64

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hmm Mateo hasn't exactly set the world a light, as others has said he has been pretty disappointing this season, If anything Mateo has made it hard for himself.

You can't blame it on the Warriors, as plenty of of Warriors have made the cut while playing "out of the spotlight"

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah agreed with sentiments above. Feleti isn't being considered because his form has been sub-par. Guys like Price, Lillyman, Tate and even Michael Luck as an 18th man have all been playing Origin or in the mix for selection since playing in NZ. He wasn't playing Origin during his time at the Eels, so it's not like he's moved to NZ and been forgotten about. He made the City-Country game, so someone is keeping an eye on him.

Reaction score
Est95

Est95

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think its true to a certain extent, we fly under the radar and dont get talked about as much. And if your team is getting talked about then you kinda get forgotten about. In saying that Mateo hasnt been playing fantastically awesome lately which he needs to be doing if he wants to get even considered.

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Maybe from a NSW selectors POV, who knows what they're up to. QLD on the other hand have picked up Warrior players for rep either recalled or new to the QLD squad, Mal has even travelled to a Warriors home game to scout.

Oh yes I went there.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

This would seem to be more about the media coverage and 'hype' around players. As the sydney papers/journos have said on blogs and in q&a type things, the warriors aren't big stories in their papers, nobody buys the paper in sydney to read a Warriors story.
The amount of Tigers, Eels and Manly stories are insane and as such their players get more media exposure and the names are bandied about by the journalists. Maloney did well to get so much attention when he was mentioned for origin earlier this season.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
This would seem to be more about the media coverage and 'hype' around players. As the sydney papers/journos have said on blogs and in q&a type things, the warriors aren't big stories in their papers, nobody buys the paper in sydney to read a Warriors story.
The amount of Tigers, Eels and Manly stories are insane and as such their players get more media exposure and the names are bandied about by the journalists. Maloney did well to get so much attention when he was mentioned for origin earlier this season.

There's no doubt about that. Though despite not holding Ricky Stuart in the highest regard, I can't see Feleti's lack of face-time in the Daily Telegraph being the reason he isn't being picked. Ricky's never been one to go along with media opinion, he'll pick who he wants regardless.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

There's no doubt about that. Though despite not holding Ricky Stuart in the highest regard, I can't see Feleti's lack of face-time in the Daily Telegraph being the reason he isn't being picked. Ricky's never been one to go along with media opinion, he'll pick who he wants regardless.
Agreed,

My previous comment was more general, about Warriors players on the whole.

In specific reference to Mateo, I don't think he will ever play Origin. He can be brilliant and can win matches with one magic moment... the problem is, he can also take risks that simply don't need to be taken in the process of trying to create magic. No Origin coach is would be willing to take that risk, it could be career suicide.
He also doesn't bring enough energy to his defence, certainly not the muscular type of defense that Origin coaches want.
He made the gamble to leave the Tongan team, which was disappointing as they now have some excellent players to call on.

I just don't think he plays football in the style that the powers that be in Australia want from their State Of Origin players.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
playing like shit the last few weeks probably hasn't helped his chances either..

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed,

In specific reference to Mateo, I don't think he will ever play Origin. He can be brilliant and can win matches with one magic moment... the problem is, he can also take risks that simply don't need to be taken in the process of trying to create magic. No Origin coach is would be willing to take that risk, it could be career suicide.
He also doesn't bring enough energy to his defence, certainly not the muscular type of defense that Origin coaches want.
He made the gamble to leave the Tongan team, which was disappointing as they now have some excellent players to call on.

I just don't think he plays football in the style that the powers that be in Australia want from their State Of Origin players.

Pretty much. He's great at NRL level, but for the Origin arena he's just too risky. Ricky Stuart was speaking with Gould at whatever lunch he was at mid-week, and he said the key was doing everything right, including all the 'small stuff' that QLD gets right. He said if they didn't, they'd lose again. With that mindset, Mateo is not the guy you need lining up. Nor can I see anyone in that current NSW backrow being shifted for him - Luke Lewis, Glenn Stewart, Ben Creagh, Anthony Watmough, Greg Bird. Agreed also re Feleti's defence, he's not known for his defensive prowess...perhaps if NSW were in a different situation he'd have a shot, though right now their 1 strength over QLD is their backrow.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Agreed,

yeah you make good points.. unless maybe if he was in absolute sublime form for the month leading up to the selection. Problem is he's been a ghost the last few weeks for us - so he's probably not even on the radar anymore.. It sounds like he still thinks he's a chance? I admit i don't know a huge amount about the form of his competition, but i know NSW are not short of good backrowers

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You can say he is full of shit because look at Price and Lillyman, but then you can argue the other point regarding Luck Truck

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
You can say he is full of shit because look at Price and Lillyman, but then you can argue the other point regarding Luck Truck

Well Luck wasn't not picked because he played for the Warriors. He came from Nth QLD as a bench backrower who was playing ~20 mins a game and every 2nd week in reserve grade, so much so that he was considering an alternate career. He was contacted by us and made the move, his subsequent first grade time and performances whilst playing for the Warriors earned him the call-up to 18th man for QLD. So he should be in the Lillyman/Price category.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well Luck wasn't not picked because he played for the Warriors. He came from Nth QLD as a bench backrower who was playing ~20 mins a game and every 2nd week in reserve grade, so much so that he was considering an alternate career. He was contacted by us and made the move, his subsequent first grade time and performances whilst playing for the Warriors earned him the call-up to 18th man for QLD. So he should be in the Lillyman/Price category.
Well according to you then Mateo is talking out of his arse. Meh, if Mateo really is thinking this then he is being a muppet

Top Bottom