1. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

Mason Lino 2013 match worn away jersey...

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

3. Juju
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

Juju 1st Grade Fringe

What did that set you back Mt Wellington?

4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I know its been posted in the appropriate game thread but thought Id also post it here so we can chart his career...

LATE MAIL | Lino to make NRL debut
    Richard Becht
    Fri 21st August, 03:54PM Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Mason Lino receives his first NRL jersey from his father Jason and mother Marie. Image | Ra Pomare, Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Halfback Mason Lino has been called up to make his NRL debut in the Vodafone Warriors’ 24th-round encounter with North Queensland at Mount Smart Stadium tomorrow (7.30pm kick-off; match day theme: Members’ Appreciation Day; game day sponsor: Woodstock).

The 21-year-old Marist junior will become Vodafone Warrior No 202 as a late replacement for standoff Chad Townsend, who has been unwell all week and was admitted to hospital on Tuesday night.

“Chad hasn’t trained all week and he’s still not right so we made the call to bring in Mason,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden.

“He has been doing a terrific job for (coach) Stacey Jones in our New South Wales Cup side and deserves this.

“It’s a massive moment and opportunity for him. We had his mum and dad in this morning to present his first jersey to him and tomorrow he has the chance to make his debut in front of them as well as the rest of his family and friends plus our members and fans.

“We’re all excited for him in what will be our last home game of the season.”

Lino was co-captain when the Vodafone Junior Warriors won the NYC premiership last year. He finished his time in the competition with a record 503 points from 62 appearances (only Ben Henry with 64 and John Palavi with 63 have played more NYC games for the club).

The Avondale College old boy was set to take up a contract with AS Carcassonne in France last year but ultimately needed shoulder surgery instead and was given an opportunity to remain with the Vodafone Warriors.

After a long recovery, he made his first NSW Cup appearance of the year against Manly in May. He had his 12th outing of the campaign in Saturday’s 20-16 win against Wests Tigers, scoring a try and kicking four goals from four attempts – and being named man of the match – to take his tally for the season to 90 points.

Lino is the fifth member of last year’s NYC premiership-winning side to appear for the club’s NRL side this year. He’ll team up in the halves with fellow Marist club-mate Tuimoala Lolohea (they were paired in last year’s NYC grand final win) while the other 2014 NYC graduates have been Solomone Kata, Sam Lisone and Ken Maumalo.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

5. Pete
    Join:
    Oct 3, 2012

Pete 1st Grade Fringe

Be honest. Who was praying to the football gods that Chad wouldnt make the game. Definitely a plus giving the young guys like Lino a chance particularly when other players have waved the white flag. Is it just me or is there a sense that he is embarrassed with the players behind him with cheesey grins and a few clowns. Parents look proud. Somehow the players behind could look a bit more supportive. Maybe Im just angry about the losses. Hope he does well

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Far Away Fan
    Join:

Far Away Fan Guest

Gotta agree with you, Pete, it is disrespectful.

That having been said, I'm looking forward to the game now! :)

Go Mason Lino!

7. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Yep I just decided to watch this week's game , good to
    see a grafter in the side go Mason go the wWarriors

8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Judging by that photo Lino clearly has the support of his team mates..:banghead:

9. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Assistant Ballboy Contributor

Hope the kid absolutely nails his debut, might not be the flashiest player but maybe that's what we need he seems to do the basics well.
    Hope he goes well will be nice to have a solid halves option

10. Far Away Fan
    Join:

Far Away Fan Guest

Hope he goes so well that there is no option but to select him again for the last two games!

Set up a couple of tries, score another, nail every conversion, make a try-saving tackle or two...not asking much am I hehe.
    You can do it, Mason!

11. The Batman
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

The Batman 1st Grade Fringe

Always rated him since U20s. Mason has what most of our NRL squad lack - a heart and a brain!

12. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Love that pic, its awesome.

13. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Still remember Mason in the Wigan game.
    Played with a lot of composure.
    Showed a lot of maturity and led really well for the 20minutes he was on there.

More diamonds than rocks as an under 20 player.

Been consistent and good as a NSWarrior.

Warrior Mason.

His story begins.

Good luck brother.

14. the borg
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

the borg 1st Grade Fringe

One thing i want to see from him is defence. Attack can come later so good luck out there Lino. Your in the big time now ..... dont screw it up.

15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Been surprised by how well he has played in the NSW Cup. Not a flashy player but does his job and does it well. Has a good pass and a can kick. If we're looking within this club for level headed calm player to compliment Shaun Johnson than Mason Lino is that guy.

Wish him well on his debut. Hopefully surprises a few who have laughed at him...

16. glory_hog
    Join:
    Jun 13, 2015

glory_hog 1st Grade Fringe

look forward to see him playing, cant see any different outcome then a cowboys win, but hope he has a solid game, dont want to over hype the kid either but he could be our Adam Reynolds.

17. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

I don't see him being Adam Reynolds. I thought even by NYC standards his defence has always been very weak. His kicking game is a bit pop gunnish. I'd say he's decent depth but not much more. Hopefully he proves me wrong but I don't hold much confidence for tonight.

18. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

I fear this young one is going to get schooled by JT today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Honestly, he's being put in a horrible position. Debuting in a team that's looked like utter shit for two months + facing one of the major contenders for this years title. If he's even solid / has any good touches, it will be a good outcome. I hope he's selected for the rest of the year in order to give him some sort of chance to show what he can do. Tossing him on the scrapheap after todays probable roasting would be unfair. Besides, Townsend has had HOW MANY chances already? Dude can just fuck off to Sydney already.

20. Ref
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Ref 1st Grade Fringe

Townsend has been our poorest player by some margin in the last 3 weeks. And considering he has been handling the ball the most that's a hell of a burden on the team.
    If Lino does the basics well and tackles around the legs we will be much better off with him than Chad.
    Also we will probably see an even distribution of ball to both sides now that the ball hog Chad is gone.