Player Marcelo Montoya

I can't read this - But I think it says we've signed Marcelo Montoya. Decent center/winger back up, still young and hasn't delivered on potential yet. Seems like another cheap squad filler with potential upside.

--------------------------------------------------------
*mod edit

Montoya joins Vodafone Warriors on two-year deal

Richard Becht warriors.kiwi
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 10:03 AM

Marcelo Montoya.JPG

Canterbury-Bankstown and Fiji Bati outside back Marcelo Montoya is joining the Vodafone Warriors on a two-year deal to the end of the 2022 NRL season.

The 24-year-old Lautoka-born Montoya is the club’s sixth acquisition for the 2021 season following the earlier signings of Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warrington), Kane Evans (Parramatta), Euan Aitken (St George Illawarra), Addin Fonua-Blake (Manly Warringah) and Sean O’Sullivan (Brisbane).

“Marcelo is a big, fast and powerful athlete who gives great depth to our outside backs,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

“He is a very good yardage player and is an accomplished try scorer proven at NRL level.

“Marcelo would be one of the most impressive players I’ve interviewed and brings a great training ethic. We have a fantastic person joining our club.”

Named the Bulldogs’ 2017 rookie of the year after scoring 12 tries in 19 games, Montoya has gone on to make 54 first-grade appearances. He was used on the wing in 2017 and 2018 but has started in the centres in all but four of his last 21 appearances.

“I’ve long been a fan of Marcelo and really look forward to coaching him,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Nathan Brown.

“He is keen to improve as a player and has the desire and ethic we are looking for at the Vodafone Warriors.

“Marcelo can play wing and centre equally as well and is great under the high ball.

“He will provide competition to the outside back positions in our squad and we believe we can help take his game to a new level as he gets a fresh start at our club.”

marcelo-montoya-1b.jpg

Montoya has the distinction of being the only player of South American heritage to appear in the NRL’s 112-year history.

Of Chilean heritage on his father’s side, he began his career against his new club in the first and only NRL match played at Dunedin’s Forsyth Barr Stadium, marking it with a try in the Bulldogs’ 24-12 victory over the Vodafone Warriors.

He had a prolific NYC under-20 career scoring 36 tries in 46 matches from 2014 to 2016.
After making his international debut in 2016, Montoya was in the Fiji side which stunned the Kiwis 4-2 in Wellington in the quarter-finals of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

MARCELO MONTOYA
Born: February 17, 1996
Birthplace: Lautoka, Fiji
Junior Club: Bankstown Bulls
Position: Winger/centre
Height: 189cm
Weight: 95kg
NRL Debut: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Vodafone Warriors, March 17, 2017 (Round 3)
NRL Career: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (2017-2020)
NRL Appearances: 54 appearances
NRL Points: 76 (19 tries)
Representative: 8 Tests for Fiji Bati (2016-2019)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jonesy101

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
The New Zealand Warriors are locked and loaded for season 2021 after new coach Nathan Brown finalised his top 30 roster with the signature of Canterbury flyer Marcelo Montoya.

Montoya agreed to a two-year deal from season 2021 on Tuesday afternoon.

The 24-year old was one of eight players including Aiden Tolman and Kieran Foran who were not part of Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett’s rebuild at Belmore, which officially kicked off on Monday.
The Canterbury local junior joins Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake, Parramatta forward Kane Evans and St George Illawarra centre Euan Aitken - who have all agreed to join the Warriors for season 2021 and beyond.

Montoya, who made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs in 2017, only managed 20 games in his final two seasons at the club.

A season-ending knee injury in 2019 was compounded by a serious hamstring year this which resigned him to only nine games.

But coach Brown’s show of faith in Montoya will see him compete with the likes of David Fusitu‘a, Ken Maumalo and Adam Pompey for a spot in the starting side.

Montoya’s addition to the Warriors roster closes the door on any chance for rising Sea Eagles back Albert Hopoate to join the club.

With his injury history the past couple seasons, he'd be cheap as. Hope he can get his pace back, knee and hammy troubles aren't ideal for a young winger/centre.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Not unhappy about that. Cheap experience and depth. A different kind of winger than we're used to.

Is he though? Doesn't solve the speed issue. I think he was an early hero based on the sheer awesomeness of his name more than anything

Management gave me the feeling that we had a bit more cash in reserve than we must actually have. I thought we'd get closer to a more well-rounded squad than what we have ended up with.

I'm looking forward to watching the forwards rumble, Egan develop, Chanel Harris-Tavita get a bit more confidence in a make or break season, the return of Fusitua and Ken and potentially a game plan that utilises the strengths of players like our 2nd row, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Fusitua. We can't afford injuries in the backs.

Last edited:

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
I reckon we signed montoya on the cheap. People are thinking why when we had pat herbert.. Pat herbert's contract must've been up for a raise and rightfully so because he done the club solid this year but i think the club is trying to manage our cap. Maybe to make a splash for off contract players in 2021 and resigning players from the warriors club like um i dont know TOHU HARRIS!! 🙏🙏🙏

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Is he though? Doesn't solve the speed issue. I think he was an early hero based on the sheer awesomeness of his name more than anything

Management gave me the feeling that we had a bit more cash in reserve than we must actually have. I thought we'd get closer to a more well-rounded squad than what we have ended up with.

I'm looking forward to watching the forwards rumble, Egan develop, Chanel Harris-Tavita get a bit more confidence in a make or break season, the return of Fusitua and Ken and potentially a game plan that utilises the strengths of players like our 2nd row, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Fusitua. We can't afford injuries in the backs.
Yeah he’s not good depth to have at all. He’s honestly lucky to still be in the NRL after his last few years.

If we didn’t sign him he almost certainly would’ve signed with a ISC or Canterbury Cup team. No other team would’ve been after him.

Black_jrdn

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 8, 2018
The Montoya signing confuses me.. maybe he’s a Geard Beale type signing? Pure injury cover. Unless their planning on making players switch positions I don’t see why we need another back.
Maybe they gonna put ken in the forward pack this year.. geez that’d be a scary three bringing the ball back. Addin Fonua-Blake Ben Murdoch-Masila And Ken, the more I say it the more I want it 😂😂

wrighty

For years had a theory that guys with awesome names had a leg up for selection to elite sides. Some guys just sound fast. Doesn't happen with cricket due to the vast wealth of emperical stats available on each player but more so with outside backs in union and league. Some people think Mitch Moses gets part of his street cred for his name. They aren't serious when they say those comments. But they say the comment anyway. So often, that you wonder if there is any wisdom behind it.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.0 Total Avg Rating
2.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 4 ratings