Player Manu Vatuvei

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
This is a real sad story and outcome for Manu and his family. I'm glad he pleaded guilty to his crimes.

His decision will live with him for the rest of his life, but unfortunately so will his family.

Like Jarod Hayne, his on field respect and achievements will be forgotten. He will be talked about for his drug conviction. I suspect he is looking at a long stretch inside, and deservedly so.

We can say, does the game need to more to educate players of such offences. From what I hear they do a reasonable job and better than most industries about the use of recreational drugs.

However, Manu crime was sheer stupid, greed, selfiness, and lack of respect for his family and community. He may not be the brightest of person, but surely he most know the difference between right and wrong.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
We can say, does the game need to more to educate players of such offences. From what I hear they do a reasonable job and better than most industries about the use of recreational drugs.
Can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink.

When there’s 500 professional league players contracted every year; 1000’s every decade; they will reflect society.

There will be the good, bad and ugly in the mix.

Manu was simply greedy. Lost everything trying to take the easy route in search of more💰

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Rapira, Mannering, Jones, Bob Te Manu, try!
Happened even more with Johnson! Rovelli and Witt were in on it, too.

Rovelli and Witt. Now that was a halves pairing you could build a premiership around.

A Reserve Grade Premership, but let's not be picky here!

Anyway: Manu:
Seriously, I can't remember a try Manu scored where he didn't leap up to catch a bomb...

I think maybe he got all classy and whacked the ball back so some player following up scored the try a couple of times, but certainly that wasn't a regular part of his skill set.

Guess a certain player will never, ever be part of Warriors Old Boys day at the last home game (remember those, guys, games actually in Auckland?!) of every season ever again..

Are we taking bets on how many teams the Aussies will bring this up during a Warriors game next season as a sign of "the weak culture that exists at the Warriors", whether or not that weak culture is there to be seen next season?

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
AK
So the story from this time when Manu offended is his life was a complete shambles. Take this with a grain of salt and dont ask me how I know this but he was living with the dancer who he won the tv show with. Actually with her at her parents house. She was pregnant (eventually terminated) . His wife had just had another baby and was living in their marital home with all his daughters. He was using. He was broke in the heavyweight boxer way - apparently gave away lots of his earnings? So he and his bro, a longtime gang associate, cooked up this fool proof money making scheme. Thats what I heard 😉

None of that excuses any of it - Ive got no time for people making money off bringing this sh!t onto the streets. Its a total disgrace and the Warriors should do everything they can to scrub him from their history.

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Nah fuck him. I know some people think his Records should hold for the warriors, but IMO the warriors need to delete any memory they have of him. This hits different. They imported 2kg (minimum), likely more, with street values in excess of a million dollars. This isn’t smalltime. Manu was on 500k when he was at the warriors. What did he do with the $? The excuse of not knowing how to spend it doesn’t cut it, the clubs have huge support for this stuff I know for a fact. They teach them how to budget, how to cook, how to study, how to buy a house, they’re pampered to. This is different.

meth is the worst. It destroys families. It poisons society, leads to deaths, murder, crime of unimaginable things. He directly contributed to this. You ALWAYS have a choice. He chose this option. My best friend has smoked for 2-3y and we’ve watched him go downhill. Once again, it was his INITIAL choice to do this. I’m not saying an addict always has a choice to quit, but they had a choice to start. No excuses although I’ll support his rehab 100%

he has directly contributed to nzs worst drug problem. All the while putting up a facade of who we thought he was. He’s a thug. A criminal. And a piece of shit. The warriors need to distance themselves from him, and erase him for their memories. This shit really fucks me off. Rant over.

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
This is a real sad story and outcome for Manu and his family. I'm glad he pleaded guilty to his crimes.

His decision will live with him for the rest of his life, but unfortunately so will his family.

Like Jarod Hayne, his on field respect and achievements will be forgotten. He will be talked about for his drug conviction. I suspect he is looking at a long stretch inside, and deservedly so.

However, Manu crime was sheer stupid, greed, selfiness, and lack of respect for his family and community. He may not be the brightest of person, but surely he most know the difference between right and wrong.
Totally agree

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Back in the day quite a few league players went away for selling dope. One I recall was Wayne "Butch" Beri from Canterbury. Amazing talent, but wasted.

Another was a genuine rock star in Auckland. He was offered trials in Sydney but was making too much on the side here.

Only did short stints inside, but I recall his first stint he cried himself to sleep at night for ages.

The thing is he was no pussy, or bully, He was a genuine tough bastard who would fight one on one to sort things out. He would have been able to handle anybody inside, it was just the realization that he was...inside.

Last I heard he was living alone in a small pensioner flat in Auckland. I jest not this dude used to roll in wads of $20 bills. He always dressed really well and drove the most amazing V8s.

Michael Corleone was fiction.
Beri was a good player but he was firmly an old school crim far more than he was a league player.
His daughter whose pub recently burnt down in North Canterbury put out a book her dad had mostly written in prison. I forget what it was called but it was a good read. I borrowed a copy from a mate to read but wish I had brought a copy as I've never seen it available since

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Beri was a good player but he was firmly an old school crim far more than he was a league player.
His daughter whose pub recently burnt down in North Canterbury put out a book her dad had mostly written in prison. I forget what it was called but it was a good read. I borrowed a copy from a mate to read but wish I had brought a copy as I've never seen it available since
Off topic I know so last post but the book was called 'Here I go again!' : an occupational hazard
Looks like it could be available in the library system bruce bruce

• Love
Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Off topic I know so last post but the book was called 'Here I go again!' : an occupational hazard
Looks like it could be available in the library system bruce bruce
Thanks but don't think I will read it. I know too much about the guy already. That Christchurch league scene is shall we say...colourful. They have produced some greats though.

Reactions: Defence

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
"Wayne could have played for the Kiwis. He had a natural eye for a bounce, and great timing," said Peter Smith, who played alongside and coached Beri at rugby league and employed him as a barman at the Hotel Embassy in Christchurch."

Dunno if anybody remembers the Embassy Bar?

As well as being a haven for crooks, it was also a genuine rugby league museum.

The Smith family were league tragics who left Peter Leitch for dead.

They had some amazing stuff in there, and it was a genuine league bar, the crooks were leaguies first and foremost.

The beer was good too!!

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
If you ever wanted to know how little Aussie's care about the kiwi game, there’s been hardly any mention of Manu conviction here, almost none, like zero, zilch. Nobody gives a fuck.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
If you ever wanted to know how little Aussie's care about the kiwi game, there’s been hardly any mention of Manu conviction here, almost none, like zero, zilch. Nobody gives a fuck.
It's been mentioned by all major media outlets covering sport here....

Screenshot_20211008-100050_Chrome.jpg

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Poor guy. Thing i dont like is that he has always been a big family man, yet he was contributing to one of the biggest dividers in family across the world. Meth!

I bet he would take it all back in a heartbeat but the i feel the fame got to his head, mixed and mingled with too many of the wrong celebrities and got influenced into it. Importing and distributing though, what a clown!

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
A recent sentence for Manu's type offence

• Mr Doan pleaded guilty to two charges of importing methamphetamine[1] and one charge of possessing methamphetamine for supply.[2] On 29 October 2019 he was sentenced by Walker J to 15 years and four months’ imprisonment with a minimum period of imprisonment (MPI) of just over 40 per cent.[3]
  • The Judge adopted a starting point of 17 years’ imprisonment in respect of the importation charges and applied an uplift of 18 months for the charge of possession for supply. A discount of 18 months’ imprisonment was allowed for personal mitigating factors, with a further discount of 10 per cent for the guilty plea which did not come at the first opportunity. Because the Judge did not consider that parole after a little more than five years’ imprisonment adequately would satisfy the deterrence objective of sentencing or hold Mr Doan accountable for his conduct, an MPI of six years and six months was imposed.
Without knowing how the two cases align Manu must be shitting his daks!!

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
A recent sentence for Manu's type offence

• Mr Doan pleaded guilty to two charges of importing methamphetamine[1] and one charge of possessing methamphetamine for supply.[2] On 29 October 2019 he was sentenced by Walker J to 15 years and four months’ imprisonment with a minimum period of imprisonment (MPI) of just over 40 per cent.[3]
  • The Judge adopted a starting point of 17 years’ imprisonment in respect of the importation charges and applied an uplift of 18 months for the charge of possession for supply. A discount of 18 months’ imprisonment was allowed for personal mitigating factors, with a further discount of 10 per cent for the guilty plea which did not come at the first opportunity. Because the Judge did not consider that parole after a little more than five years’ imprisonment adequately would satisfy the deterrence objective of sentencing or hold Mr Doan accountable for his conduct, an MPI of six years and six months was imposed.
Without knowing how the two cases align Manu must be shitting his daks!!
6 yrs for a crime with a max life sentence isn't the worst.

Reactions: Sup42

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
That historic prison XIII would win the Fox

Reactions: dean

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player