Player Manu Vatuvei

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
First legal lesson for Mr Vatuvei via "Better Caul Saul": "Criminals have no recourse."

Another observation from "Better Call Saul" warning against criminals going to the police to get back stolen property: "I refer you to our previous conversation and this blinking, neon sign of a vehicle that says 'drug dealer'."

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
Yeah importing is pretty fucking heavy though.
Gotta know some seriously dodgy blokes to do that.
Its not like he's selling 20s to his mates...
Thing is, if you grow up in certain areas, you do know those blokes. Throw in socio-economic factors in, lack or maturity, and here we are.

I don't condone it, I don't have sympathy for him, but I do feel I understand it/him/why...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Hopefully he learns from his mistakes, but if he was a quick learner he would have already learnt from the red bull and pills saga.
Murray Deaker once said about the famous sports stars he had interviewed. Incredibly gifted and talented, but otherwise as ordinary as could be.

So he was an incredible gifted and courageous athlete, but otherwise quite immature. So therefore prone to being indulged by his agent since he was a junior star with no real sense of consequences.

Reactions: Mr Frank White

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
As an honest thought i wonder how long ago Manu started down this path and what inputs directed him this way?
Who knows, but my guess is when his career started to go into decline, and he wasn't earning the money for the extended family that he had in the past. So a combination of financial problems and losing his identity.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I wonder if what sucked Manu in is the same kind of thing that sucks in people who you think/know are quite intelligent into "please forward this money via Eastern Union to help save my husband General Boogiewoogie in Nigeria", "I saw your face and knew you were the love of my life" type scams:

The scammers make the scammed person feel really fucking good about themselves. The scammed person is made to feel important. Someone cares about them. Someone will give them what they need.

Until the day when the scammer doesn't need them anymore and the scammed person has given away all that money. For Sweet Fuck All.

Not that I think Manu could use this excuse but: The scammed person could have told someone earlier because, the truth is, the scammed person suspected they were being taken for a ride. But it's bloody embarrassing to admit to someone else "I've been played like a complete twat..." Better to lay low and keep making those deposits/transfers....

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I think hes a product of his environment. Look at how many people get caught up selling drugs. Compare that to psychopaths who kill people.
Big difference.
I was trying to make that post as over the top as possible since u took my first one so literally but you’ve gone and done it again dagnabit.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I wonder if what sucked Manu in is the same kind of thing that sucks in people who you think/know are quite intelligent into "please forward this money via Eastern Union to help save my husband General Boogiewoogie in Nigeria", "I saw your face and knew you were the love of my life" type scams:

The scammers make the scammed person feel really fucking good about themselves. The scammed person is made to feel important. Someone cares about them. Someone will give them what they need.

Until the day when the scammer doesn't need them anymore and the scammed person has given away all that money. For Sweet Fuck All.

Not that I think Manu could use this excuse but: The scammed person could have told someone earlier because, the truth is, the scammed person suspected they were being taken for a ride. But it's bloody embarrassing to admit to someone else "I've been played like a complete twat..." Better to lay low and keep making those deposits/transfers....
i dunno if it was admit stupidity or go to jail i suspect his lawyer would have been pushing him to go for stupid if it was available

Reactions: Mr Frank White

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
i dunno if it was admit stupidity or go to jail i suspect his lawyer would have been pushing him to go for stupid if it was available
No, I think it was: Option Shit A: Plead Guilty And Be A Man Ready To Take A Big Hit or Option Shit B: Plead Not Guilty And End Up Being Found Guilty And End Up Being A Man Taking A Bigger Hit...

I think the "I Soz! My Bad! I Stupid!" defence would have crashed and burned the second Manu's lawyer realised the Po-leece had tapes and proof of his client's quite intentional involvement.

Manu certainly, no doubt, took the Bob Te Manu (reference to the many-years-old comments on this site that the Warriors Plan A/B/C on Offence when we had Manu was : Bomb To Manu On The Fifth Tackle) on this one.

Reactions: gREVUS

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
No, I think it was: Option Shit A: Plead Guilty And Be A Man Ready To Take A Big Hit or Option Shit B: Plead Not Guilty And End Up Being Found Guilty And End Up Being A Man Taking A Bigger Hit...

I think the "I Soz! My Bad! I Stupid!" defence would have crashed and burned the second Manu's lawyer realised the Po-leece had tapes and proof of his client's quite intentional involvement.

Manu certainly, no doubt, took the Bob Te Manu (reference to the many-years-old comments on this site that the Warriors Plan A/B/C on Offence when we had Manu was : Bomb To Manu On The Fifth Tackle) on this one.
Rapira, Mannering, Jones, Bob Te Manu, try!

• Haha
Reactions: gREVUS and mrblonde

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Think we need to stop making excuses and understanding this sort of behaviour, yes there’s pressures and negative influences we are all tempted with but at the end of the day Manu has to own it, it was his own actions and choices as to where he is now.
Have no sympathy for the people that get into this crap as it’s the whole risk vs reward scenario.
In saying that it doesn’t take away his achievements on the field it only tarnishes his legacy and the tragedy is letting those who he inspired down and pissing away his own life after the opportunities he got.

W.A warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
Think we need to stop making excuses and understanding this sort of behaviour, yes there’s pressures and negative influences we are all tempted with but at the end of the day Manu has to own it, it was his own actions and choices as to where he is now.
Have no sympathy for the people that get into this crap as it’s the whole risk vs reward scenario.
In saying that it doesn’t take away his achievements on the field it only tarnishes his legacy and the tragedy is letting those who he inspired down and pissing away his own life after the opportunities he got.

Agree, great player. Shit bloke, that Meth just ruins everything it touches.
Hope he has a long stint in the pen.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Jason Smith, Brett Dallas, Matt Seers, Michael Gordon, Danny Wicks, Jamil Hopoate, Karmichael Hunt, Jarrod Mullen, Chris Houston, John Touma, Michael Jennings, Ben Barba, Brett Naden, David Taylor...and many other BIG names who never got caught.

The NRL needs to do more as drugs become an area of convenience and expertise for players post career. I'm not saying the responsibility to make the right decision doesn't fall on the players themselves, but some regular preventative drug testing (including over the off season) might keep a few of these guys off a dark path later in life. The RLPA need to get their head out of their arse on this stuff if they really care about the players and their families. They are not ordinary people, they have cash and access. Combine that with the stupidity of youth and the need for a release that doesn't affect on-field performance and they are really vulnerable.

Give the players an amnesty period before long suspensions kick in. I'd rather they looked after players in this regard rather than giving big tough suspensions for pushing or accidental head clashes in the name of player welfare.

It is doubtful it would of made a difference to Manu.

Last edited:

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
Re Sign him - he will be paranoid and think the Cops are chasing him causing him to run even faster and harder during the game

Reactions: dean

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
What al in this case so needs to be recognised is that often these players resist the approaches. .However those approaching are relentless in their greed to 'turn' the player so generally it is not the first approaches that work, it is a wearing down process.

My idea has precedent in organisations like Customs. Regular year round random drug testing. Incidents like the Warriors and Storm testing must be immediate. If you have a contract you are bound. Sanctions will fall on Agents and clubs in obstruction.

The second part is a place players can go to get advice regarding pressures they are facing. This should be a joint NRL, RLPA initiative. It should also have a strong indigenous and Polynesian input. This can advocate advice, counselling, legal advice. My understanding is that Manu's importations were controlled deliveries, so Customs were on to him.

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
The second part is a place players can go to get advice regarding pressures they are facing. This should be a joint NRL, RLPA initiative. It should also have a strong indigenous and Polynesian input. This can advocate advice, counselling, legal advice. My understanding is that Manu's importations were controlled deliveries, so Customs were on to him.
Sounds like another business opportunity for Harry Tam.

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
At least he's owned and confessed unlike others. Now he can start his rehabilitation that it's in the light, he will always be remembered as the true beast despite the errors of his ways.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings