Player Manu Vatuvei

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
For someone who has never been to prison, a year is an extremely harsh experience.
Back in the day quite a few league players went away for selling dope. One I recall was Wayne "Butch" Beri from Canterbury. Amazing talent, but wasted.

Another was a genuine rock star in Auckland. He was offered trials in Sydney but was making too much on the side here.

Only did short stints inside, but I recall his first stint he cried himself to sleep at night for ages.

The thing is he was no pussy, or bully, He was a genuine tough bastard who would fight one on one to sort things out. He would have been able to handle anybody inside, it was just the realization that he was...inside.

Last I heard he was living alone in a small pensioner flat in Auckland. I jest not this dude used to roll in wads of $20 bills. He always dressed really well and drove the most amazing V8s.

Michael Corleone was fiction.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Judges will listen to a character reference of people who were formerly of good character who engaged in things like community service, visiting sick kids in hospital, the types of things high profile people like him have done for their community.
The judge is obliged to, as well as that he plead guilty. My guess is he will do 8 as you say.

I had a mate who did 14 years...did the lot. At least he admitted it was his fault but he never got over it, never. Good bastard too, from a very good family. Just got in with the gangs.

There has to be a better way.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
but we’ve bought in Lodge ( who I like by the way) banned more games then he’s played and flips off crowds, Walsh who gets charged with possession at 19 years of age, Addin Fonua-Blake checkered past, Evans who can’t stop folding cu**s and no real leadership left
Back in the day you didn't have TV cameras everywhere. Heyzeuss spare me the things I saw when I was a young fella!!

Mind you we couldn't afford coke then. Most guys left the heroin alone as well, except for the dealers who were in the game.

• Haha
Reactions: Worried2Death

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
We don't know the circumstances do we? I mean, quantity, how many times etc?
My guess is this is either an amateurish importation or they have been intermediaries.

They were obviously under surveillance and had their phones tapped.

Makes it even sadder.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Back in the day you didn't have TV cameras everywhere. Heyzeuss spare me the things I saw when I was a young fella!!

Mind you we couldn't afford coke then. Most guys left the heroin alone as well, except for the dealers who were in the game.
Look my personal belief is that all drugs should be legal, ive talked about this in detail in other threads, but the relevent point in this discussion is that in the effort to find replacements to illegal pharmasuticals, the drugs have gotten worse for you. More dangerous, more addictive and more deadly.

Heroine addiction is the wierd one to me as there is a cure for it, but no cure for the mental dependency on drugs as a crutch. So without the help while you can beat the addiction, i believe that most users will relapse.

If only he had been bringing in something as safe as coke or heorin.

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
My guess is this is either an amateurish importation or they have been intermediaries.

They were obviously under surveillance and had their phones tapped.

Makes it even sadder.
in the US you can still buy those flip phones that you see in all the movies. The number one reason is because they are damn near impossible to bug as they have no real smarts in them. Funny enough while the biggest group of users is criminals, the second is law enforcement (or so i was lead to believe, so this may not be true but sounds damn funny)

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
The real losers are the families his actions has destroyed.
While the users are the real losers, their families are the ones who suffer, at the end of the day if it hadnt been him it would have been someone else. His actions (IMO) really only relect on him. A drug user will find a way to get their fix, and if he didnt provide it, someone else would of. We only care because he is someone that used to be worthy of respect.

But I am aware that this harks back to my personal beliefs on the legality of narcotics, and not everyone will agree.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
in the US you can still buy those flip phones that you see in all the movies. The number one reason is because they are damn near impossible to bug as they have no real smarts in them. Funny enough while the biggest group of users is criminals, the second is law enforcement (or so i was lead to believe, so this may not be true but sounds damn funny)
You still need a SIM card to use those older phones. You need a photo ID to buy one.

There are encrypted messaging apps available (for smart phones). I'm sure most would have heard of the global sting where the FBI duped the criminals to use their own Anom app...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Look my personal belief is that all drugs should be legal
That theory has been raised many times.

Way back last century the Netherlands tried to decriminalise drugs and became the supermarket for drug deals in Europe.

Then you have to consider the so called "war on drugs" that Reagan started. It makes the Vietnam and Afghan wars look very successful!!!

Then in Thailand the Prime Minister bought in the death penalty for any drug dealing. So the Police took the opportunity to wipe out their opposition in the trade.

Mate I don't know the answer, but meth is a plague in rural NZ right now, so should we legalise that?

Mind you lack of effort in control is almost legalizing it anyway.

IMO they need to get really serious, and take no prisoners, if they want to wipe it out.

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012

Way back last century the Netherlands tried to decriminalise drugs and became the supermarket for drug deals in Europe.

Then you have to consider the so called "war on drugs" that Reagan started. It makes the Vietnam and Afghan wars look very successful!!!

Then in Thailand the Prime Minister bought in the death penalty for any drug dealing. So the Police took the opportunity to wipe out their opposition in the trade.

Mate I don't know the answer, but meth is a plague in rural NZ right now, so should we legalise that?

IMO they need to get really serious, and take no prisoners, if they want to wipe it out.
Well its illegal now and look at how that is turning out. Legalise it, like they do with alcohol. Then people would have options and with the criminal element removed it wouldnt be as cheap or as strong etc.
America proved that prohibition doesnt work. And then they fucked over the rest of the world and now Manu is going to Jail.
A differnt strategy may lead to a different result, but it can't be anyworse.

Unless they mandate all kids under 16 must take ketamine daily, that could be worse...... <jokes people>

Reactions: Rizzah

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
IMO this will push up the value of the drugs, handing more power, money and control to the pushers and importers.

If they want to get really serious legalise all drugs. Note not decriminalise, legailise. Sell in the same way they do alcohol. Tax it. Take the shame out of it. NZ already tries to help addicts, but it could do so much more with the money used to lock up people.

Reactions: Rizzah

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
IMO this will push up the value of the drugs, handing more power, money and control to the pushers and importers.

If they want to get really serious legalise all drugs. Note not decriminalise, legailise. Sell in the same way they do alcohol. Tax it. Take the shame out of it. NZ already tries to help addicts, but it could do so much more with the money used to lock up people.
You cannot legalise meth.,,,but prohibition has never worked.

Coops

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 16, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Portugal is an interesting case. Small amounts of anything may be carried for personal use. Not clear on how locals buy it though. Probably still quite shady.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
We don't know the circumstances do we? I mean, quantity, how many times etc?
It's in the nzherald article linked above. Atleast 2kg from 4 intercepted parcels over 6 or so months. Likelihood of many more that weren't intercepted. Got a bit of info on how it all went down in the article. Interestingly he was the last of the group to plead guilty months after claiming he was innocent of the "accusations".

Atleast he will have his brother to keep him warm at night with him.

Wonder if they divulged info on who "big boss" was to authorities. Got no sympathy for people involved in meth trafficking. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes, but if he was a quick learner he would have already learnt from the red bull and pills saga. Feel sorry for people within his community and kids that saw him as an inspiration or role model.

Seems to have taken down a bunch of his insta posts including a story he posted earlier today about his mates car that was stolen and how he would like to meet with the person who stole it....

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings