Player Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei 2012 1.jpg

Manu lost me yesterday.

The Ferguson try resulted from him first handing over possession inside our half with an error. Then in the ensuing set he charges up to try and take out Berrigan, limply falls off him, the resulting numbers allowing Berrigan to feed Ferguson for the try.

I dont believe he has value as a winger anymore, he has become something of a liability. He may be of some use as an impact T-Rex but again his hands will be his downfall, as you need to be able to hold onto the pill in traffic.

We need to begin the quest for a new beast, either looking in our junior ranks or further afield. Manu's future may lie in the ESL.

Last edited by a moderator:

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
To bangbros18's "Clown" comment: He's a clown for letting himself even be accused of this stuff. Even more for it to be in court. This isn't an "Associating with a known felon" thing, where you may have quite legitimate reason - family, friend etc - for being seen with the "known felon".

I suspect this might all end up being a situation that would never have even begun if Manu had learnt to use the word NO very loudly and very emphatically.

I recall someone wrote a piece on Joseph Parker being outed that said it might actually help his boxing career (which says something about the people and standards around that sport). The piece was at least worded along that line, if not outright saying it. Maybe that's Manu's future??
From what I've heard from my mate who's cousin is family with Manu, his brother is linked up with gangs or is in a gang.
Actually met him in Manukau with my mate so i know he's telling the truth regarding his cousin being family.
Let's just say what my mate said about him isn't too favorable for his case. But he isn't too close to him so he's in the same boat as us in suspecting him.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
At least it is out now.

Remember this case is still going through the courts so please be careful with your comments.
Yes, innocent until proven guilty but remember for such a serious charge to get to trial it is assumed he has a case to answer. He would not have been charged by an ordinary rank, this would have been to higher legal authority to get the charge laid.

I just find it so sad. He is 13th equal on the all time try scoring list, surrounded by true legends of the game. He earned that position. He is an absolute legend and that cannot be denied.

I don't know his circumstances but I question how he could have blown his fortune to the extent of needing to mix with the types he seems to have, or maybe it is just some extended family connection that has him in this situation.

He has denied it, and I hope he is not guilty.

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
I think a better description of a person’s innocence or otherwise in cases where it goes to trial is “not guilty until proven guilty”.

A finding of not guilty is not a confirmation of innocence.

Anyway, back to Manu. It is a real shame if Manu is found to be guilty. And another shame entirely that it appears he has been hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I always get a bit annoyed that society deems sportspeople as role models by default. A large proportion of the really talented sportspeople embrace taking risks. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see that risks can be taken on the field, as well as off the field

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
another shame entirely that it appears he has been hanging out with the wrong crowd.
From what I understand even the Police are concerned now that extended families can have an influence on people that Europeans don't appreciate. Europeans have no trouble cutting off a black sheep. It isn't that easy in extended families.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
From what I understand even the Police are concerned now that extended families can have an influence on people that Europeans don't appreciate. Europeans have no trouble cutting off a black sheep. It isn't that easy in extended families.
Some people are C%$&NT's regardless of race and will take advantage of others, especially minorities, disadvantaged and underprivileged. Yes, historically Europeans are guilty of that.

But a blanket statement that Europeans have no trouble cutting off black sheep, is a pretty gross generalisation, and not one that I think helps progress. Their are plenty of European families, and families of mixed race (I include myself in the mixed race category) to whom family and extended family matters very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: dean and brightman

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Some people are C%$&NT's regardless of race and will take advantage of others, especially minorities, disadvantaged and underprivileged. Yes, historically Europeans are guilty of that.

But a blanket statement that Europeans have no trouble cutting people off, is a pretty gross generalisation, and not one that I think helps progress. Their are plenty of European families, and families of mixed race (I include myself in the mixed race category) to whom family and extended family matters very much.
Being a genuine white honky jaffa I just could not get my head around the extended family thing. However having been exposed to it in a different way, especially in Asia I sort of understand it.

To put it crudely the dude might be an arsehole, but he is our arsehole. My version of it anyhow.

Reactions: brightman and gpred

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
But a blanket statement that Europeans have no trouble cutting people off, is a pretty gross generalisation,
I should have read this better before. What a trolling statement. That is not what I said. Close the door on the way out.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
You got a wife and kids, hanging around gang members will never end well for your family
Thats half the issue with the new Manu. He's been seperated from his wife for some time. He basically went off the rails after his stint in Super League where issues first started to arise. He's gone from a well loved family man to losing the plot and hanging out with losers. Drinking daily and going live on Facebook during his drinking sessions are known issues. Cant mention anything else.

Have known since he was first arrested it was him and have heard many disappointing things about him just before it and plenty more after.

Not going to say anymore until he gets his day in court but I will say if what I have heard is true then he has a hell of a battle on his hands. Lets hope his brother is found guilty and not him. Its his only defence...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
This is not meant as an excuse, but a reminder of what some people are up against. In the 2000s there was a Maori Customs Office at Auckland Airport. Despite coming from a poor background he worked hard and started advancing. He came under pressure from family members to help in importation. He reported it and Customs have processes in place for this type of thing. However the approaches were constant and he stopped reporting and eventually went to jail for importation. His Uncle visited him in jail and said that he was someone and now he is just another Maori in jail.

In that position any gang member relative or nor not regard you as a profit making source, nothing else.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
This is not meant as an excuse, but a reminder of what some people are up against. In the 2000s there was a Maori Customs Office at Auckland Airport. Despite coming from a poor background he worked hard and started advancing. He came under pressure from family members to help in importation. He reported it and Customs have processes in place for this type of thing. However the approaches were constant and he stopped reporting and eventually went to jail for importation. His Uncle visited him in jail and said that he was someone and now he is just another Maori in jail.

In that position any gang member relative or nor not regard you as a profit making source, nothing else.
Was the person in question a fully grown adult? If so then he was old enough to know better. Just like Manu...

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
I just don't know what happens in people's heads and I'm sure none of us ever will.
I remember the Bali 9. Try lost their lives for $10,000 and a trip to Bali, which can cost as little as $100.
For some people, that sort of money must seem large. It's about 3 months work max at minimum wage. Crazy. Why not just work?

Anyway, Manu knows money and has always been around money so I'm guessing that if he was involved in any way, it must have been through being one of the Bros or wanting to help some brothers out.
Manu can earn money. Surely.

Reactions: wizards rage

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Dead right, what I am trying to say these pricks are constant and manipulative and do not give a shit about consequences on you.
In a past life I have had some experience with corporate corruption, all white collar stuff and of course all pakeha.

If anybody thinks all the bad guys are in prison, that is naive in the extreme.
Multinational corporations would leave most of our gangs for dead...and you never hear about it, they are that good at it.

It isn't as simple as hi Horace, I will pay you a few thousand if you turn a blind eye to this.

No way jose.

They groom the target, usually over a period of time, and slowly start with little stuff until they are sucked in to the game. The best example I can think of is the Indian bookmakers with cricketers...but I digress.

Tongan gangsters are very smart, and very nasty.

In my limited experience with Manu being interviewed, like most Tongans I know he is very smart, he is not stupid.

I don't know his personal financial situation by most top sportsmen, like top musicians, blow their fortunes in time.

Everybody has their magic button, crooks just take their time to find the button, and family connections are an easy way in.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Thats half the issue with the new Manu. He's been seperated from his wife for some time. He basically went off the rails after his stint in Super League where issues first started to arise. He's gone from a well loved family man to losing the plot and hanging out with losers. Drinking daily and going live on Facebook during his drinking sessions are known issues. Cant mention anything else.

Have known since he was first arrested it was him and have heard many disappointing things about him just before it and plenty more after.

Not going to say anymore until he gets his day in court but I will say if what I have heard is true then he has a hell of a battle on his hands. Lets hope his brother is found guilty and not him. Its his only defence...
Why do I get the sad suspicion his defence strategy might be what legal scholars call The Shaggy Defence:

Prosecutor: We even caught you on camera.
Defendant: Wasn't me.
Prosecutor: We have your DNA at the scene.

etc. etc.

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015

Never knew it's been a on going issue for him, looks like jail is least of his problems.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Why do I get the sad suspicion his defence strategy might be what legal scholars call The Shaggy Defence:

Prosecutor: We even caught you on camera.
Prosecutor: We have your DNA at the scene.

etc. etc.
That is why fraud investigators find white collar crims so easy. They always think they are that smart they can talk their way out of anything.

The bros just say, nah, not me.

Sorry to cross threads but when Donald Trump or his dumb son actually have to face a depositions hearing they are absolutely terrible. That civil suit about the Jan 6th is going to be a ratings winner.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I have some mutual friends with Manu who were amongst those who were concerned with his response back in the V and pills day that led to his mental health issues/counselling. Since then, they watched as Manu pushed them away and turned more towards what they considered, some wrong people and pathways.

While I can’t/won’t comment on the charges, I will say that these friends weren’t surprised when they heard of the charges considering some of the people Manu was associating with more and more.

I hope he wasn’t involved with what he’s been charged with.

Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 14 ratings