Warriors News Manly to meet New Zealand Warriors in Perth in July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-to-meet-new-zealand-warriors-in-perth-in-july/story-e6frexnr-1226346267734

PERTH'S NRL bid yesterday received a major boost after Manly agreed to shift July's grand final replay against the New Zealand Warriors across the Nullarbor.
The round 21 fixture will be the first rugby league match played at 40,000-seat Paterson's Stadium in Subiaco, which is home to AFL heavyweights West Coast Eagles and Fremantle.
Manly had originally been negotiating with the Western Australia Rugby League (WARL) to move next month's grudge match against Melbourne to Perth.
But after listening to members who wanted to give the Storm a hostile reception after last year's infamous Battle of Brookvale, Sea Eagles boss David Perry chose a different match to move west.
But a strong opponent was needed to satisfy the WARL's handsome financial incentive.
"The Warriors have a huge support base over there and both teams have never played in Perth before," Perry said last night. "And although we played in round one, it's still a grand final replay from the previous year."

Perry had also considered moving their round 18 clash against Parramatta to Gosford, which already hosted Wests Tigers in March.
But the potential for corporate sales in Western Australia - and particularly Subiaco - proved appealing.
Since the demise of the Western Reds in 1997, NRL games have been predominantly played at 18,000-seat NIB Stadium.
"We wanted to look at a bigger venue because we're hopeful of a crowd of around 25,000," Perry said.

Reaction score
Numbnutsnz

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not really all good with this. I don't want to have to sit up until 1am. I will but I don't want too.

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wasn't their talk at one stage of this game being played in Taranaki ? Perth must have thrown more $$$$ at it than New Plymouth.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
New Plymouth, Taupo.. Strange. What about the bigger centres such as Wellington or Dunedin? They probably are given sweet deals by the smaller stadiums, but risk/reward is alot bigger with the bigger venues. Wellington have been robbed of any NRL since 2005? Got a Kiwis test a couple years ago.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Fuck Perth. Look what happened to the chooks over in that shithole after the travel and heat came into play (no offense to anybody from Perth, I'm just mad that this means we're gunna get hammered)

Reaction score
Warrioz

Warrioz

Waterboy
Reaction score
Crap for several reasons.

1. Poor for NZ audience
2. Poor for team travel
3. Poor for me as I was going to fly up for the game with a mate, but f**k flying to Perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom