Social Movies

The funny thing is that the ancient Egyptians did not care much for color. To them light and dark Egyptians were all Egyptians. Racism did not exist as a concept in that era.

Prejudice existed based on cast and religion and other divisions of societies but if we look at the Egyptians own illustrative works of their society, people were all shades of brown through to very brown or what modern people call black now.

Well that is what the science shows too, although it may be possible to be more definitive as dna science evolves.

I do not know the Cleopatra documentary you speak of, but it is a well accepted fact that ethnically she was Greek Egyptian hey,

but her subjects were not white....and I notice no one complaining about all the white actors with makeup on who have played Egyptians in all the old Hollywood films over the years.

They were not white people either.
Was talking to an Egyptian whilst in Egypt about a similar subject, you’re correct in the sense that ethnicity as it is now isn’t as defined. He described it from an Egyptian POV due to location and history they see themselves as a little bit of each of Mediterranean/Arab/African.
Many see Africa as ‘Black’ when in truth there’s more diversity on the continent than many realise, take the contrast between North Africans and Sun Saharan Africans for example. Even Europe/Asian is technically the same landmass and there are vast differences in peoples on that single landmass.

Screenshot_20231229-171855_X.jpg

Had a chuckle at this post.

I've absolutely entered the dad movie phase.

Air has to be the dad movie of the year, nostalgia for 35yo plus crowds.

A lot of those I was interested in but haven't watched. I haven't watched much new movies this year. The person I usually go to the movies with either one of us have been busy and haven't followed up the other one about going. Or the movies haven't been in the theatre for a very long run.

Most new ones I've had to wait until they hit streaming. Even then time has been limited around the kids. Late at night I watching more NRL. A bonus of the Warriors winning.

The Iron Claw is still to open here in NZ. That is one I really want to watch. A pain it has opened already overseas and we need to wait a month.

Looking forward to Iron Claw, didn't see The Wrestler at the movies so don't wanna miss this one when it comes out (25th Jan I believe). Seems to be getting generally positive reception so that's a good sign.

And speaking of favourite movies, Roxy Cinema in Miramar playing one of them in Feb - Wayne's World 👍EXCELLENT👍

Saw the original at the movies back in 92 as a fresh faced 11 year old, didn't understand most of the jokes back then but the scene where Garth falls off the chair suddenly when dream woman blows him a kiss was the funniest thing I'd ever seen 😅

Look forward to watching on the big screen again (after seeing it probably 30 times in the last 30 years 😅)

Has anyone watched that new movie on Netflix - Leave the World Behind?

Would love to know everyone's thoughts. I enjoy a disaster/distopian film and the ending was interesting. I'm trying not to give any spoilers away haha

I'm looking forward to The Iron Claw, Dune 2 and the new Ghost Busters.

Dune I didn't see in the theatres but later on Netflix. Aiming to see the sequel on the big screen.

Ghostbusters hopefully that hits the mark similar to Afterlife.

The Iron Claw I never watched the two WCCW DVDs. Ended up watching them recently as they are on YouTube. If you don't know the story of the Von Erich's they would be worth checking out after the movie. The movie does condense a lot or change a lot of the events.

One point I've seen is it probably would have worked better as a series played out over a full season or a few seasons as the fall of the family plays out. Pro Wrestling has quite a few stories that could work as a movie or TV series. A few crazy events, murders or mysteries.

I'm looking forward to The Iron Claw, Dune 2 and the new Ghost Busters.

Dune I didn't see in the theatres but later on Netflix. Aiming to see the sequel on the big screen.

Ghostbusters hopefully that hits the mark similar to Afterlife.

The Iron Claw I never watched the two WCCW DVDs. Ended up watching them recently as they are on YouTube. If you don't know the story of the Von Erich's they would be worth checking out after the movie. The movie does condense a lot or change a lot of the events.

One point I've seen is it probably would have worked better as a series played out over a full season or a few seasons as the fall of the family plays out. Pro Wrestling has quite a few stories that could work as a movie or TV series. A few crazy events, murders or mysteries.
I really didn't like Dune so am struggling to understand what people liked about it and why Dune2 will be better.

Ghostbusters could be good if done right. I enjoyed Afterlife in a sort of nostalgic way. Had just the right mix of new and old IMO

Last edited:
I really didn't like Dune so am struggling to understand what people liked about it and why Dune2 will be better.

Ghostbusters could be good if done right. I enjoyed Afterlife in a sort of nostalgic way. Had just the right mix if new and old IMO
Will be interested to see what they do with Beetlejuice 2, big fan of Micheal Keaton and Tim Burton.

Back