General Maloney: Warriors' Critics Are Right

Reaction score

Steve Mascord

Source - https://stevemascord.com/2012/07/12/maloney/

By STEVE MASCORD

JAMES Maloney says the critics are right – the Warriors aren’t ruthless enough.

Last Sunday the Aucklanders opened up 16-0 lead by the 13th minute against North Queensland and then allowed it to be gobbled up, clinging grimly to a 22-18 advantage for 16 nerve-racking minutes of the second half.

Five-eighth Maloney says it’s no use complaining about people who accuse the Warriors of being flaky and flighty “Probably, with the performances we’re putting on the paddock at the moment, you couldn’t argue with them,” he said.

“We’re not putting the 80 together at the moment. At times we’re getting away with it but it’s costing us at other times.“It’s something we’re constantly working on. We’ve got to make sure it clicks sometime soon.”
Maloney is linking with Sydney Roosters next year but says the Warriors can still make an impact in 2012 if they cure their ills. “We’ve got to start putting wins together,” he said.

“It’s a vital part of the season. We need to be a little bit more ruthless in the way we execute our gameplan because when we do it right, we put points on sides and we look a million bucks but it’s a matter of doing it for the 80. “It’s something, I suppose, you can say all you like but it’s a lot harder to do in practice.”
A loss last Sunday would have been shattering to the confidence of Brian McClennan’s men. Maloney explained: “We knew we were on top but in the end we just had to make sure – in the end it’s cost us, letting sides off the hook too much this year. “It wasn’t good, I suppose, but to the boys’ credit we got back in the grind. “It wouldn’t have been good, it would have been another week of the one that got away. It was far from perfect but at least we’re on the right track.”

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm glad Maloney is admitting it. It proves Bluey knows there lies the problem, now lets see if they can fix it.

Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Damn its about time the Warriors admitted it. Looking back at the 2002 Season, our forwards were ruthless and I think that year was the year the Warriors had a rep of being that physical team that nobody wanted to play against IMO. The forwards gotta run hard and straight and not stop on impact like they playing held. Thats why I think highly of the Rapira brothers because imagine if they had Manu's size........

Ive always believed that League is a forwards game and the backs just finish it off. Cant score if you dont go forward, cant win if you dont score points

Reactions: Moz
Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Nothing shocking. We can all see it, surely so can the club. If they couldn't, it would highlight one of their issues.

Its good to hear players pointing out their short-comings. I dislike when players get uppity and complain about the fans opinions, like Mateo and Lousi, etc when they played like they were "special needs".

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Nothing shocking. We can all see it, surely so can the club. If they couldn't, it would highlight one of their issues.

Its good to hear players pointing out their short-comings. I dislike when players get uppity and complain about the fans opinions, like Mateo and Lousi, etc when they played like they were "special needs".
I think Mateo an Lousi were well within their rights to complain about the fans opinion, without trying to look like i'm condoning their actions, they were being honest. Most of it was directed at people who lets just say needs to be a bit more constructive with their criticism anyway.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I think Mateo an Lousi were well within their rights to complain about the fans opinion, without trying to look like i'm condoning their actions, they were being honest. Most of it was directed at people who lets just say needs to be a bit more constructive with their criticism anyway.
Sure the words used by the "fan" were, perhaps, inappropriate, but the sentiment was the same as all the fans. Their performance was unacceptable from professional athletes and they deserved to have fans ragging on their performance. And they also made the choice of opening themselves up to public scrutiny by having public Twitter accounts. They enjoyed the positive side of the publicity, they should accept the negative.

Reaction score
Sir Bluey

Sir Bluey

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Lets see How they answer that criticsm playing a finals footy team.. action speaks louder then words they say!

Reaction score
Up the guttz

Up the guttz

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Damn its about time the Warriors admitted it. Looking back at the 2002 Season, our forwards were ruthless and I think that year was the year the Warriors had a rep of being that physical team that nobody wanted to play against IMO. The forwards gotta run hard and straight and not stop on impact like they playing held. Thats why I think highly of the Rapira brothers because imagine if they had Manu's size........

Ive always believed that League is a forwards game and the backs just finish it off. Cant score if you dont go forward, cant win if you dont score points
No doubt, the do need to get more ruthless especailly in D!

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Lets see How they answer that criticsm playing a finals footy team.. action speaks louder then words they say!
Yep and I hope you're right.
Sure the words used by the "fan" were, perhaps, inappropriate, but the sentiment was the same as all the fans. Their performance was unacceptable from professional athletes and they deserved to have fans ragging on their performance. And they also made the choice of opening themselves up to public scrutiny by having public Twitter accounts. They enjoyed the positive side of the publicity, they should accept the negative.
I agree to a point, but I don't see why we are aloud to be"ragging on their performance" and yet why can't they do the same?

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

I agree to a point, but I don't see why we are aloud to be"ragging on their performance" and yet why can't they do the same?
Because they are professionals paid to attract fans and support to the club and increase the teams chances of winning, thus increasing the clubs earning potential. They are reprosenting the club when they make these comments on social media, and as such, should behave as the club expects. That is the downside of public life, you have to face public scrutiny with a smile.

Perhaps some fans need to get a grip and remember they are people too, but most fans feel a strong connection to their chosen club and expect the same passion and commitment from the players who represent that club. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

One simple reason is playing league is their job, if your effort and attitude in your job isn't up to scratch expect to be told. Unfortunately for professional sports people they have alot more people that feel some sort of ownership of them and their performance, but like Nig said if your happy to accept the glory and benefits, understand alot of people will have an opinion on many things they do and are more than happy to let them know.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Because they are professionals paid to attract fans and support to the club and increase the teams chances of winning, thus increasing the clubs earning potential. They are reprosenting the club when they make these comments on social media, and as such, should behave as the club expects. That is the downside of public life, you have to face public scrutiny with a smile.
Don't get me wrong, I still think they deserved to be punished from the club (if they were) But it seems hypocritical from those of us that are not part of the management to be saying they shouldn't be aloud to scrutinize us when we do the same to them.

Perhaps some fans need to get a grip and remember they are people too, but most fans feel a strong connection to their chosen club and expect the same passion and commitment from the players who represent that club. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
Nothing wrong with passion and commitment at all :)

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I still think they deserved to be punished from the club (if they were) But it seems hypocritical from those of us that are not part of the management to be saying they shouldn't be aloud to scrutinize us when we do the same to them.
Its not that they shouldn't be allowed to reply. It is that if they want to take the positive of the public notoriety, then they need to accept the drawbacks as well. One of those drawbacks is that if you suck, you will get told, right or wrong. If you don't want to be faced with this, perhaps a Twitter account isn't the best move.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Its not that they shouldn't be allowed to reply. It is that if they want to take the positive of the public notoriety, then they need to accept the drawbacks as well. One of those drawbacks is that if you suck, you will get told, right or wrong. If you don't want to be faced with this, perhaps a Twitter account isn't the best move.
I guess this is something we won't agree on, agree to disagree?

Reaction score
iago

iago

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Steve Mascord. (rhyme?)
Good article.
Stating the obvious.. But they need to rectify this issue(s) or we haven't got a shit show over the coming weeks.

I'd suggest the latter. Well actually that's not totally true. We've got a show, and will finish 8th or 9th...unless there's some sort of drastic turnaround tomorrow night.

Anyway the above quotes from Maloney aren't recent are they? They're from his radiosport appearance mid-week prior to Titans? They didn't play for the 80 on Saturday either, but on the plus side they at least finished strongly.

Reaction score
Sir Bluey

Sir Bluey

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Yep the fans pay to see professional rugby league players play ... and they have a right to get best value for money
thats the way it rolls!

Reaction score
PolarBob

PolarBob

Reaction score
STEVE!

Good man. Nice to see you around.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Just wondering if after the Warriors have a win that Maloney's kicking helps get you say he won the game on his own, like your saying he lost it on his own?

Reaction score

Jordan G

This Maloney is playing badly because he signed with the Roosters is pure nonsense based on fan perception only. The things he was doing well last year he's still doing well this year and vice versa. The only thing that's changed is that fans are less forgiving and less willing to overlook his downfalls because he won't be with us next year.

Top Bottom