General MAGIC ROUND NRL 2021 Round 10 - General Discussion

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
Just my probably unwanted opinion.
But isn’t protecting player health and future wellness More important than our entertainment?
I think you are absolutely right that this is the ideal opinion we hold.

But we have to be pragmatic too. If we enforce it in an extreme manner it's hard to see how we have a contest worth watching.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but we have to decide if we want zero head contact, or we want to watch a true physical battle. You can't have both. Not at high speed, human reaction time says its not possible.

It's especially unfair to enforce it with all the responsibility on the defender. Guys like Teddy duck into almost every tackle, giving the defender no time to react. It's just absurd as you can't blame a player for not reacting in the time we know it is literally physically impossible for a human to do so.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I think you are absolutely right that this is the ideal opinion we hold.

But we have to be pragmatic too. If we enforce it in an extreme manner it's hard to see how we have a contest worth watching.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but we have to decide if we want zero head contact, or we want to watch a true physical battle. You can't have both. Not at high speed, human reaction time says its not possible.

It's especially unfair to enforce it with all the responsibility on the defender. Guys like Teddy duck into almost every tackle, giving the defender no time to react. It's just absurd as you can't blame a player for not reacting in the time we know it is literally physically impossible for a human to do so.

f
Just my probably unwanted opinion.
But isn’t protecting player health and future wellness More important than our entertainment?
We are talking about someons Posible quality of life and comparing it with our own short term satisfaction. Watching union they now call an offence to even minor contact to the head, it’s still plenty physical a lot of high tackles are lazy arms or poor technique, I dont know maybe I’m soft and sure maybe some calls are harsh. But I reckon They need to be to shock players into realising they can’t be careless anymore. I don’t think this change was ever about us as a fan base it’s about player welfare.
JUSt my thought.

how long do you think before boxing and UFC is banned for players safety??

serious question

is the risk not the same if not worse??

yet everyone loves a good old fashion biff

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
f

how long do you think before boxing and UFC is banned for players safety??

serious question

is the risk not the same if not worse??

yet everyone loves a good old fashion biff
It will be a little while yet. Cash money wins for now.

But in 10 years we'll all be wearing a VR headset, plugged into the matrix and have little care about such real world questions ;)

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
AK
Watching the Panthers rack up the 4 pointers. A couple of thoughts.
- Cleary is super talented but I reckon he’s got about as much personality as Richie McCaw.
- I love the speed and intent they play with.
Get a bit sick of watching them celebrate every try like it’s the Grand Final winner though!

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Would love to see the Storm vs Panthers. The two highest scoring teams in the comp.

Ironically when they met in round 3 it was 12-10. Bet it would be a lot higher scoring now that both teams have settled into the season.

Reactions: Zarjaz

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
I think these send offs are a bit heavy handed.
I could understand if the tackled player is injured, but if there is no injury surely a sin bin is enough?
The games are tough enough with the new rules to speed up the game - but now any fatigued defensive lapse could kill the contest completely with a send off.

Reactions: Zarjaz and snake77

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Cows as we learned are a second half side this year. Very fortunate for Toddy that they held on.
Unfortunately for them the Roosters are an eighty minute side.

Another Reece in the NRL...wtf....have Australia banned naming kids Steve, John, Brian and Matt???
Forget the changing of the rules. That's the dummy pass the NRL have made and we've fallen for it.

The real, evil, ugly takeover of Our Once Greatest Game Of All is the increasing number of Non-Masculine-Named-Players. Maybe the sign was the first woman NRL official (I think it was Gavin Badger's daughter), but we missed that sign and now. We. Are. Doomed.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

Gus is right, many of the head problems are to the players doing the tackling.

heyzeuss spare me though, I remember being a nipper at Carlaw Park watching the Poms play the Kiwis. Both forward packs would be ordered off under these rules.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Ricky Stuart complaining post match that he's going to have to recruit for these new tackling rules. The tolerance of what they will put up with has changed, you have never been allowed to hit people in the head. You still would of been penalised and he would of complained about his side been penalised out of the contest.

I can understand doing some recruitment on the six again rule to change the body types in your team, get more mobility or speed. The current tackling interpretations you can get around by coaching. Listen to him compared to Trent Robinson. Stuart is all doom and gloom, sulking. Robinson is straight forward we need to tackle lower, think he went over in more detail on NRL360 around the consultation and changes it may effect but it was still common sense.

Stuart has always come off as a guy that solves most of his squad issues via recruitment instead of coaching. He might have to dust off the over head projector. The names listed cannot tackle below the shoulders and are no longer required.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Listening to Gus was interesting. It is the first time I have thought about the ramifications of the tackle technique changing due to the new rules. Some of the worst KOs I have seen in the game have come from the defender's head colliding with the runners hip. There is likely to be more of those in the future with an enforced crackdown in the long term.

Safety shouldn't just be about cracking down on the overt. Taking head knocks out of the game is impossible. Minimising them will be a very complicated procedure, which needs to be based on evidence.

Sport is gladiatorial. The origin of sport is from training for war. It is a replacement for war. An outlet for organised aggression, an outlet for 'us versus them' in a morally defined battle. This is not just the case for the athletes, but also for the 'voyeurs' watching.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings