General Lunacy From The Warriors.

Do you agree with Gus that this club is suffering from Lunacy?

• No, this club is acting perfectly rationally.

• Yes, this club is batshit crazy right now.

• There are little green men who want to give us all lovely presents.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
This has to be rock bottom surely. We can't go any lower.

lunacy

lu·na·cy
(lo͞o′nə-sē)
n. pl. lu·na·cies
a.
Mental derangement; craziness: "The Warriors fans thought his obsession with tiny props, giant wingers and moronic centers was utter lunacy"
b. Archaic Intermittent mental derangement attributed to the changing phases of the moon.
a.
Great or wild foolishness: a policy that proved to be a piece of sporting lunacy.
b. A wildly foolish or irrational act.

I'm not putting this in the Kata thread, because it's not just him. He's only the poster boy of the problem ATM and throwing him under the bus just isn't right.

Sorry, I got my words around the wrong way: just throwing him under the bus isn't right. He should be joined by many others under said bus, with the bus stopping and reversing over them several times before continuing along on it's journey.

Last edited:

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
One definition of insanity (lunacy) is repeating behaviour and expecting a different result. So fair call.

Until this outfit bases itself on hard work and preparation and not slogans and one off magic bullet player buys they will carry on stumbling year in and out.

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
Too many athletes, not enough footballers.

These guys are dumb when they take the field. No awareness, perception, or anything that resembles pro active individual thought.

I was thinking about this exact point earlier today.

I honestly think you could make a case to say that the only true Rugby League footballer, on this team, is Foran. Shaun's lack of league nous is absolutely mind blowing for someone that won the golden boot.

Jordan G

I was thinking about this exact point earlier today.

I honestly think you could make a case to say that the only true Rugby League footballer, on this team, is Foran. Shaun's lack of league nous is absolutely mind blowing for someone that won the golden boot.

Foran, Mannering for sure.

Lillyman and Hoffman are smart but physically their talents have waned and tbf their games always relied on working off the back of others momentum.

It's a very sad state.

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
Foran, Mannering for sure.

Lillyman and Hoffman are smart but physically their talents have waned and tbf their games always relied on working off the back of others momentum.

It's a very sad state.

Mannering is an excellent player, without question, but would he qualify as a footballer? It's always a hard thing to judge with forwards, it can get pretty subjective. For me, a footballer is someone who not only plays the game well, does their job to a high standard etc, but can also read and react to what the game is presenting and take advantage of that. In essence, I think a footballer needs to have some play making ability, which I'm not sure Simon has displayed often enough to warrant the tag.

It's interesting that you brought up Lillyman, Hoffman and Mannering though. Those were the exact same three names that I had originally written down in the above post as people you could possibly make a case for being footballers... but on reflection, thinking about what in my mind made a footballer, I couldn't really justify adding them.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Mannering, Luke, Foran - there are some footballers there but the main point is right - not enough of them.

The other young footballer was doing too well (CNK Hoppe) so we put him back in ISP so we could bring back Kata.

Jordan G

For me those 3 do make the criteria. Not all players with high football iq need to be playmakers. Some of the smartest guys on a league field are the ones who are smart enough to just do their job.

The problem for us is that we don't have enough playmakers who also have high football iq.

Reactions: Johnnyray

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Maybe Donald Trump got his idea of 'alternative facts' from the Warriors.
p.s. JD, that hairdo wouldn't suit you, or any sane person TBH.

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
upload_2017-6-3_10-3-11.png

Why the hell is Kata so far infield?!!!!! What did he possibly hope to achieve? And where is Roger?

If Kata isn't dropped to ISP for this poor decision alone, he will NEVER be dropped.

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
For me those 3 do make the criteria. Not all players with high football iq need to be playmakers. Some of the smartest guys on a league field are the ones who are smart enough to just do their job.

The problem for us is that we don't have enough playmakers who also have high football iq.

I'm not saying a footballer needs to be able to kick a grubber, or throw a long cut-out pass. It's more along the lines of having the capacity to react to a game... for example, someone that can run the exact right line depending on what the defence are doing. A person that can do that, is effectively a "playmaker". I definitely think at times, Simon and Ryan in particular have shown that.

One thing I will say, however, is that I genuinely believe modern coaching is forcing footballers out of the game because of their strict adherance to structure at all costs.

Reactions: Johnnyray

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I'm not sure IQ intelligence is the cure for lunacy. There are plenty of really intelligent people in the world who are also bat shit crazy.

I think a lot of it comes down to emotional intelligence. You look at a guy like SBW and he just wants to win. He's feeling it every single day of his life. Then you look at our guys going out and getting smashed on their medications mid week when they should be staying sharp for training.

Even if you get their heads right, their hearts still aren't in it, and we're still going to see gutless efforts again and again.

Jordan G

I'm not saying a footballer needs to be able to kick a grubber, or throw a long cut-out pass. It's more along the lines of having the capacity to react to a game... for example, someone that can run the exact right line depending on what the defence are doing. A person that can do that, is effectively a "playmaker". I definitely think at times, Simon and Ryan in particular have shown that.

One thing I will say, however, is that I genuinely believe modern coaching is forcing footballers out of the game because of their strict adherance to structure at all costs.

I've got no doubt players are overcoached and when they lack football smarts that's probably one of the worst things they can do.

When a moment comes and quick reaction is needed the last thing you want is a player mentally ticking off boxes to figure out what the process says he should be doing.

Hoffman and Mannering if anything over read the play and part of that is imo because they realise the black void that is brain space around them.

The Eels second try it looked like Hoffman was running around like the proverbial headless chicken trying to cover everyone because there was just no trust.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
We had the numbers to contain them.
Kata.png

Conservative option:
Kata waits out wide for the cover and then slides towards the sideline.

Risky Option:
Kata rushes the third player in from touch and hits him at the same time as the ball.

Lunatic Option: See video above.

leaguejunkie

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 20, 2016
Playing to your man is a fundamental in both rugby codes. Kata has gone so far in and left his man unmarked it's just mind boggling. Did he not see that Foran had his man covered? What was he thinking?

They were one short down Kens side but that shouldn't have made a difference. Kata takes his man and he potentially stops the ball from going to the next man. LIkewise Maumalo stops his man and prevents the ball going to the winger. If the winger scores, he scores. As long as Kata and Ken make body to body contact on their player then there is nothing more they could've done. There is always going to be an overlap somewhere on the field with 2 guys at marker defence. I could certainly forgive the situation if it played out like this.

The last try that Gutherson scored could also be put down to lack of communication and awareness. When both markers are down, it's an invitation for the hooker to run. Bully does it all the time for us so you would expect our players to know what's going to happen. The defensive line immediately behind the ruck needed to be tight, shoulder to shoulder and it should've been if the players were alert and aware given that there were no markers.

leaguejunkie

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 20, 2016
We had the numbers to contain them. View attachment 23223

Conservative option:
Kata waits out wide for the cover and then slides towards the sideline.

Risky Option:
Kata rushes the third player in from touch and hits him at the same time as the ball.

Lunatic Option: See video above.
One could certainly argue that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as sweeper would've/should've had the winger covered but it appears as though he's positioned on the right side. In the end though, he was barely in the frame when para scored so I doubt he gets to the winger in time.

And then there's also the issue of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck acutally making the tackle...

Reactions: Raw Power and jonno

Crusader26

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 2, 2016
I've said it many times already but I'll say it again, they need to take a leaf out of the Crusaders book. The Crusaders especially this year and when they had Robbie Deans play as a team rather than as individuals, it doesn't matter how many stars get injured, others step up because like the old saying goes "a Champion team will beat a team of Champions'.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings