1. 2016
  2. 2017
  3. 2018
  4. 2019
  5. 2020
  6. 2021
  7. 2024
Signed From
Sydney Roosters, Auckland Blues (Rugby Union)
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Captain
  2. Warriors Player of the Year
  3. Golden Boot
  4. Dally M (Positional Award)
  5. Dally M (Overall)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Tuivasa-Sheck
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/roger-tuivasa-sheck/summary.html
This thread is for the general discussion of the Item Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Please add to the discussion here.
Looking forward to 2024, with RTS back in the side, as per previous post, have been watching NPC just to see how RTS doing skills wise and I think he still has it, he even has a pretty good kicking game from the back (couldn't believe it when I saw it!!), his attacking runs on point, tackling still got it, however one of his problems I saw he had early on in his career was his inability to use the ball to beat a man i.e. put a man into a hole, he relied too much on his ability to beat a man solely on his speed and step, I liked shane cooper ability to put a man into a hole, to drag in the defense creating the overlap, I suppose its also about reading the play unfolding and putting the ball where supporting runner should be, either you have it or don't. all good tho, he will bring so much to the table.

Last edited:

Inside the meeting that led to NRL star Roger Tuivasa-Sheck quitting rugby and returning to the Warriors | Daily Telegraph​

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was shown video clips of Roosters star Joey Manu during the secret meeting that convinced him to quit rugby union and return to the NRL.
Rated the world’s best player in 2019, Tuivasa-Sheck has revealed his comeback with the Warriors will include learning to play centre for the first time in his career.

The 30-year-old, who has spent the past two years playing rugby union with the Auckland Blues and included 12 Test caps with the All Blacks, has signed a three-year deal with the Warriors from 2024.

In his most expansive interview to date, Tuivasa-Sheck told Monty Betham’s Once A Warrior podcast that he initially didn’t want to go to a meeting with Warriors head coach Andrew Webster last December.

After two years playing union, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is back in the NRL. Picture: Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images

After two years playing union, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is back in the NRL. Picture: Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images
“I was looking at a Japan deal, actually,’’ the 2018 Dally M medal winner said.

“I was looking to take the family overseas and travel the world.

“But in December my manager called and said would I like to sit down with Andrew McFadden (Warriors head of recruitment), Andrew Webster and Cameron George (Warriors CEO).

“I was like, ‘Oh, not really’.

“I didn’t know if that’s where I wanted to go. But out of respect, because I love all those guys, I said, ‘Okay, let’s catch up’.

“Webby had a presentation ready for me – I thought it was just going to be a catch-up.

“He played a presentation of me possibly coming back and where I could fit into this team.’’

Tuivasa-Sheck has only ever played fullback, wing and five-eighth across his 195 NRL appearances.

He revealed how Webster used video as his pitch to sell the prospect of transitioning into a centre next season.

“When I had that conversation with Webby, he saw me playing in the centre role,’’ Tuivasa-Sheck said.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will return to the Warriors and the NRL. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will return to the Warriors and the NRL. Picture: Jonathan Ng
“He said that he believes this is the position where I can come and add value.

“He had clips of Joey Manu and myself.

“And he was saying Joey was one of those centres that can go and roam, or scoot from dummy-half, or be on the inside support of Teddy (James Tedesco), so that’s the type of role he saw me playing.

“It’s being able to roam as well, and pop up in positions that can add another number.

“It’s been getting me excited and so that’s what I’ve been locked onto.

“I’m looking forward to going into pre-season as a centre and seeing how we go.’’

Tuivasa-Sheck explained his overriding motivation to return to the Warriors, after quitting the club in 2021.

“I definitely have unfinished business, that’s how I see it,’’ Tuivasa-Sheck said.

“I look back and say that I was trying my guts off. I was trying to perform each and every year.

Joseph Manu during Sydney Roosters training at Moore Park. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Joseph Manu during Sydney Roosters training at Moore Park. Picture: Jonathan Ng
“But I look back and say, ‘It’s not about me now’.

“It’s about how can this club win now?

“That’s my mindset going back and I’m grateful I got three years at it.

“That’s what I’m looking forward to. I’m going to make sure I bring it all, second time round, it’s an opportunity I’m not going to miss.’’

I think draw and pass is something he can do which he showed as an extra man link from fullback like what CNK does so well.

He has a zillion strengths and has awesome value. My concerns and they are not severe are his age and top speed. I worry he'll get burned by youngsters.

Other than that I could write a book on the upside of having a premiership winning actual Dally M club captain that's still in playing condition who also appears to have off field values character and behaviours well balanced too. Welcome back Captain (I know he's not captain but I love this bloke and what he's done for this jersey).

Dont think its any secret the biggest challenge any newcomer to the centres faces is defensively. Its not so much the 1 on 1 stuff but most attacking 2nd man plays and shapes are all designed to create extra numbers. Usually that work is already done on the inside so that the defensive centre is the one isolated into having to deal with the impending extra number and make a defensive decision wether to leave his man and try to shut down before it becomes a threat, or stay his line and allow his insides to recover.......its probably the hardest position defensively because generally no where else on the park are u continuously being put in that position.

The biggest thing that helps in that regard is the defensive structure a team employs and this is where i have faith that Roger will be all right. If u remember the season before last our edge defence was an absolute shambles, an embaressment (holey moley that cronulla game with 11 v 13 and they were still catching us for numbers!) but we saw in the space of one off season Webster came in and the structure defensively changed......our edges (while still occasionly getting stripped as will happen) showed a lot more faith on their inside men recovering and their reads improved out of sight, this is the confidence a good structure will give u. Will take time and a lot of work between now and season start but Rogers a great student of the game, he'll learn the structures and be fine imo.

Don't expect a centre to feature in that list. His carries will be great. Hoping that he makes a successful transition to the position.
Yeah he doesnt need near that list to make an impact though. Last year pompey averaged 104m and rocco 69m (massive work on for him.
The best centers for carries were holmes and gagai (169 each) who are a good comparison for rts as theyre all around the same age and all spent time at wing and fullback before transitioning to center.
Having rts, montoya, dwz and cnk brining the ball out of our end is gonna be massive- penrith are the only side who can compete with that.

Hopefully we see a couple of 15m dummy half scoots a game, like Justin Hodges used to do…….

RTS will be working so hard on all the intricacies of the position and think by the end of the year will be killing it.

He defo has the ability to step and leave his opposite flat footed, drawing in the wing, and offloading. If I was a wing I’d love to play outside him.

Interesting to hear Webster saying Roger will be centre or potentially wing next year. 3rd choice fullback he reckons.

"I threw all the outside backs in a room the other day and said 'boys, it's yours to go after here',"
"Someone's going to be sitting on the sidelines next year that is a really good NRL player. Don't be coming in round one saying 'I didn't see that coming'."

Webster is so good to listen too.....just seems next level.

View attachment 5357

Has this guy gotten better?
Is that possible?
Would be interesting to see a breakdown of those stats into each half? I like him with the open space at fullback and think he would be better accustomed to playing that link role that CNK does better than Tuaupiki. Also those effort plays like the one that had Farnworth knock on and the awareness to claim it so definitively forcing the refs hand. Exciting to think what this team can be

This new RTS is better than the old one! That’s saying something. Playing Union has made him better. Mainly the playmaking ability. There’s no pressure on RTS! He’s just there to play!