Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You do know that homes are a need right? Places of refuge and safety?

why do so many of the people who need refuge and safety have to have a 5bdrm 3bthrm renovated villa with landscaped grounds and views in herne bay for a couple hundred grand though?

what’s wrong with the kiwi build houses in mount roskill or pakaranga?
not refugey or safe enough?

although things are fucked, people need to be far more realistic.

You do know that homes are a need right? Places of refuge and safety? You sound like you're describing rentals.
There is one very easy way to reduce rent and make houses more affordable without reducing the income to landlords. But the left won’t like it as it’s not punitive on landlords such as a Brightline test or capital gains tax is…. even though these costs are passed on to the tenant in higher rent.

Why can charities rent houses cheaper than anyone else? Because they don’t pay tax and aren’t subject to the Brightline test. In some cases, they also don’t pay rates to the local TA, So, forget about considering rental properties as a business so landlords don’t pay any tax on their rental properties but also can’t claim any losses on their rental properties. BUT the money which would have been paid in tax is passed on to the tenant in a form of weekly rental reductions or an 1 off annual payment.

So, if a landlord should have paid $10,400 in tax for the current financial year, they instead reduce the weekly rent by $200 or reimburse the tenant with a one off payment of $10,400.

There is one very easy way to reduce rent and make houses more affordable without reducing the income to landlords. But the left won’t like it as it’s not punitive on landlords such as a Brightline test or capital gains tax is…. even though these costs are passed on to the tenant in higher rent.

Why can charities rent houses cheaper than anyone else? Because they don’t pay tax and aren’t subject to the Brightline test. In some cases, they also don’t pay rates to the local TA, So, forget about considering rental properties as a business so landlords don’t pay any tax on their rental properties but also can’t claim any losses on their rental properties. BUT the money which would have been paid in tax is passed on to the tenant in a form of weekly rental reductions or an 1 off annual payment.

So, if a landlord should have paid $10,400 in tax for the current financial year, they instead reduce the weekly rent by $200 or reimburse the tenant with a one off payment of $10,400.
Yeah, that doesn't happen in reality. Not in real life Mike.

why do so many of the people who need refuge and safety have to have a 5bdrm 3bthrm renovated villa with landscaped grounds and views in herne bay for a couple hundred grand though?

what’s wrong with the kiwi build houses in mount roskill or pakaranga?
not refugey or safe enough?

although things are fucked, people need to be far more realistic.
Please name some examples. This is just hyperbole

Please name some examples. This is just hyperbole
almost all of my friends in my 20s when some of us started buying our first homes. early 2000s.

some of my tenants, (not herne bay, but same applies.)

i worked over a hundred hours a week for almost ten years, at my job during the day and i started my own company that i ran early mornings and after work in the evenings while most others worked an easy job 30-40 hours a week a complained it’s not fair. fuck the rich etc.

guess what, no one cares, they’ve all got their own issues. life will pass you by pretty quick while you sit and complain about it not being fair.

now, i may have carpal tunnel in both hands and sore back 24/7, haha. but hey i got where i wanted to go.

funny how the harder you work, the luckier you get.

when i say you, i don’t mean YOU. just saying.

almost all of my friends in my 20s when some of us started buying our first homes. early 2000s.

some of my tenants, (not herne bay, but same applies.)

i worked over a hundred hours a week for almost ten years, at my job during the day and i started my own company that i ran early mornings and after work in the evenings while most others worked an easy job 30-40 hours a week a complained it’s not fair. fuck the rich etc.

guess what, no one cares, they’ve all got their own issues. life will pass you by pretty quick while you sit and complain about it not being fair.

now, i may have carpal tunnel in both hands and sore back 24/7, haha. but hey i got where i wanted to go.

funny how the harder you work, the luckier you get.

when i say you, i don’t mean YOU. just saying.
The difference of buying 20 years ago and today is vastly different.

For one thing house prices have gone up 300%

Herne Bay in the early 2000 you could buy houses for $400k that are now sell for $4m

Mt Roskill or Pakaraga 3 bedrooms are well over $1m.
Trying saving a 20% deposit while paying Auckland rental prices, while paying off your student loan.

Then if your lucky enough you get to service that $800k mortgage and pay rates which is going up & insurance which is going up.

I don't think anybody struggling to get onto the property market is realistically ranting about owning a 5 bedroom house in inner city suburbs.

The early 2000s were the golden period for buying - Cheap inner city house, low deposits, low interest and an upcoming boom in prices.

The difference of buying 20 years ago and today is vastly different.

For one thing house prices have gone up 300%

Herne Bay in the early 2000 you could buy houses for $400k that are now sell for $4m

Mt Roskill or Pakaraga 3 bedrooms are well over $1m.
Trying saving a 20% deposit while paying Auckland rental prices, while paying off your student loan.

Then if your lucky enough you get to service that $800k mortgage and pay rates which is going up & insurance which is going up.

I don't think anybody struggling to get onto the property market is realistically ranting about owning a 5 bedroom house in inner city suburbs.

The early 2000s were the golden period for buying - Cheap inner city house, low deposits, low interest and an upcoming boom in prices.
for sure there are differences , and o didn’t mean ACTUAL herne bay, more just the fact everyone wants everything for nothing.

2005 i went from renting in ponsonby to buying in glenfield for $500k because that couldn’t buy you anything in the city, anything decent anyway.

anyhow, i don’t mean any offence to anyone struggling to afford a home or whatever their gripe may be.
my point was that we all want everything for nothing and most of us aren’t willing to do much about it other than blame others and demand change.
ive seen how that goes, and how fast the world moves on past you when that’s your jam.

for sure there are differences , and o didn’t mean ACTUAL herne bay, more just the fact everyone wants everything for nothing.

2005 i went from renting in ponsonby to buying in glenfield for $500k because that couldn’t buy you anything in the city, anything decent anyway.

anyhow, i don’t mean any offence to anyone struggling to afford a home or whatever their gripe may be.
my point was that we all want everything for nothing and most of us aren’t willing to do much about it other than blame others and demand change.
ive seen how that goes, and how fast the world moves on past you when that’s your jam.
That's a perspective. Like we all have on here, and out in the real world.

But a "cheap" home now is 800000. With an income of 60000, even 100000 p/a that's impossible.

I do think you're generalising. Times have changed. A lot. Thanks neoliberalism (no I don't get paid for saying this). There is no level playing field, there never was. And it's gotten much, much worse over the last 40 years.

"We all" - might be a good time to go and have some conversations with different groups and interests. It's definitely not all like that

Its the fact that it's being backdated - which is costing more than the IREX blowout - which is the contention.
And yet we were told it was all about making houses affordable for new home buyers and wasn’t a tax or the additional money the government received. It hasn’t helped new home buyers but is now a tax cut and people are concerned about revenue the government won’t get.

Interesting, if I borrowed money to buy a commercial building, I can claim the interest. If I borrowed money to buy a rental property, I couldn’t.

And yet we were told it was all about making houses affordable for new home buyers and wasn’t a tax or the additional money the government received. It hasn’t helped new home buyers but is now a tax cut and people are concerned about revenue the government won’t get.

Interesting, if I borrowed money to buy a commercial building, I can claim the interest. If I borrowed money to buy a rental property, I couldn’t.
Build new then rent it out - your conscience would be clear and you would have contributed to new housing stock

Back