General Lord Gnome, Surfin and Miket12 Teach The Kids A Thing Or Two!

Has Lord Knome, Surfin or Miket12 taught you a thing or two?

• Total voters

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
There's a huge push to move Auckland into a US style city with practically full segregation of the economic classes.. So places like Rewa are most likely going to get worse and stay worse for some time.

As for getting out of the hood, Sup is right IMO that it's a state of mind as much as a place to live.

Lisone needs to set goals for his psychology, but seeing as the hood is all he knows it's gonna be real hard, or real eye opening, for him to discover what life is like in the middle class world. So he's not really going to know what goals to set for himself.

And just plonking him in Howick isn't going to do that all by itself. He's still got all his friends, from anywhere on the face of the earth, right there in his pocket, on his face book. It's tougher to leave the hood now than it's ever been.

He's going to need some inspirational mentoring that's for certain. What's Billy Graham up to these days?

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
The government has stated, if you can't afford property in the future you will have to resort to apartments. That will definitely result in projects like in America.
Way to complex to generalise with statement like this. We're already a long way from the quarter acre section for all and it's got nothing to do with American model. The sheer numbers of folks wanting decent living, close to town can only accommodate so many houses on street.
We regularly come pretty high in the rankings of places to live in the world, so short of communism being implemented, a choice of living at reasonable distances is a good way to encourage personal ambition. Seems to me this is just what we are on about with some of the young kids at the club. For them there's a whole world of opportunity up for grabs if they want to give it a damn good go. And providing folks around them to assist along this path is a great initiative. (but firstly they have to want!)
Comes down to where your personal priorities and ambitions lie.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Way to complex to generalise with statement like this. We're already a long way from the quarter acre section for all and it's got nothing to do with American model. The sheer numbers of folks wanting decent living, close to town can only accommodate so many houses on street.
We regularly come pretty high in the rankings of places to live in the world, so short of communism being implemented, a choice of living at reasonable distances is a good way to encourage personal ambition. Seems to me this is just what we are on about with some of the young kids at the club. For them there's a whole world of opportunity up for grabs if they want to give it a damn good go. And providing folks around them to assist along this path is a great initiative. (but firstly they have to want!)
Comes down to where your personal priorities and ambitions lie.

Totally agree, internationally we are creating a society that has a never ending group of people/experts telling everyone when to walk, talk, shit and breathe and if things don't work out all rainbows and butterflies it's someone else's fault.

Reactions: gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I hate to say it after previously stating that Australia has it better than us in this regard, but recent trends in Australia are going down this same path and ruining kids. AusRules, baby afl, is now being played with out scores, no best player etc etc. All contributions are deemed equally valuable. Bah such bullshit.

Teach a kid that effort brings success and that success leads to rewards.

Reactions: matiunz and surfin

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012
The government has stated, if you can't afford property in the future you will have to resort to apartments. That will definitely result in projects like in America.

I thought that they had said that people looking to get onto the property market should consider buying an apartment for their first home (nothing to do with either ghettoisation or housing schemes?)

Reactions: surfin

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012
So places like Rewa are most likely going to get worse and stay worse for some time.

I am not so sure about this either - currently there are next to zero white kids at some South Auckland schools, similar to the situation in some larger and older cities in the western world in the 1980s where now white folks have moved back in due to affordability and transport links. I think that Auckland currently suffers from a syndrome whereby the parents of people who bought cheap housing in places like Greg Lynn twenty years ago (and haven't ever moved house) are aggrieved that they can't afford their first home in that neighbourhood - that happened in places like London two generations ago and now young people realise that they have to buy their first house in an area that they can afford.

It's how a city matures.

Reactions: surfin

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I thought that they had said that people looking to get onto the property market should consider buying an apartment for their first home (nothing to do with either ghettoisation or housing schemes?)
That is what they have said but urban intensification will lead to the poor in high density areas, and exorbitant property prices and a lack of housing has to lead to either homelessness or more government housing

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
The mods have moved the "hood" discussion to the "off topic" thread.
Sorry about that but going by the last few posts the topic has strayed well away from Preseason training. I probably should have found a better place to post the Warriors pad in Howick but its gone from that to property prices, first home owners and communism!

Happy to start a new thread for this line of discussion if you come up with an appropriate thread title...

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
That is what they have said but urban intensification will lead to the poor in high density areas, and exorbitant property prices and a lack of housing has to lead to either homelessness or more government housing

I keep hearing about our over stimulated property market and that it is an evil driven by the wealthy and foreigners, yet surely it is driven by the vendor, as I'm yet to hear of a single one of them say, I feel sorry for the first home buyer and will therefore sell my house to one for $500 000 less than I can get selling to someone in a better position financially. After all every house sold is sold at a price the vendor accepts, and in every single house sale I have ever heard of the purchaser virtually always offers less than they eventually pay. That to me says it's the seller and their wish to make as much as possible,that controls the market, and who can blame them, not the buyer, that wants to pay as little as possible.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I keep hearing about our over stimulated property market and that it is an evil driven by the wealthy and foreigners, yet surely it is driven by the vendor, as I'm yet to hear of a single one of them say, I feel sorry for the first home buyer and will therefore sell my house to one for $500 000 less than I can get selling to someone in a better position financially. After all every house sold is sold at a price the vendor accepts, and in every single house sale I have ever heard of the purchaser virtually always offers less than they eventually pay. That to me says it's the seller and their wish to make as much as possible,that controls the market, and who can blame them, not the buyer, that wants to pay as little as possible.
I never posted that but immigration does contribute, 50000 people a year have to live somewhere.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
I never posted that but immigration does contribute, 50000 people a year have to live somewhere.

Yes but if they are coming here to live and contribute by working, starting businesses and paying taxes surely they have every right to buy a house? Unless they are some how buying all these properties locking the doors and leaving them empty.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012

Give me one example of where this has happened in non-welfare housing situations?

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012
Sorry about that but going by the last few posts the topic has strayed well away from Preseason training. I probably should have found a better place to post the Warriors pad in Howick but its gone from that to property prices, first home owners and communism!

Happy to start a new thread for this line of discussion if you come up with an appropriate thread title...

Title : Lord Gnome and Surfin teach the kids a thing or two!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings