General looking for a fluent Maori speaker.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I am looking for someone to help me progress a kids book idea, I would really like some of it to be in Maori, but i dont want to rely on google to cherry pick words. The book will primarily be written in English.

The concept is a kiwi visiting Australia and noticing the differences in the way people are treated. I really want to try and get across this idea of passive racism and unconscious bias that pervades Australia.

This is a really hard thing for kids to grasp so i'm thinking of using imaginary characters to get the idea across and at the end have them change morph into a kiwi, a white aussie and an aboriginal aussie.

At this stage this is all in planning i havent started to write yet, so get in while i havent screwed the pooch and help me make this a best seller.

Oh and if i didnt make it clear i am looking for a person who speaks Maori and doesnt mind working with someone who doesnt.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Hey bro if I could help I would.

Its not easy writing.

I've had a book in my head for years.

I finally started chipping away at it a couple of weeks ago.

Thirty thousand words later I realised two things.

One is that I'm not very good at writing, the other is that the story needs to be told.

The only satisfactory outcome is that I'm going to have to teach myself to write.

I hope you write something.

Reactions: Navigator

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Hey bro if I could help I would.

Its not easy writing.

I've had a book in my head for years.

I finally started chipping away at it a couple of weeks ago.

Thirty thousand words later I realised two things.

One is that I'm not very good at writing, the other is that the story needs to be told.

The only satisfactory outcome is that I'm going to have to teach myself to write.

I hope you write something.
Oh I've written quite a bit now. I've finished two stories, and am in the process of rewriting them for the publishers. I have a met with them on the something of next month in sydney. I've also just finished writing for a short story comp. Seven original short stories of which I ended up entering 3.

Actually the short stories have really helped as it made me tighten up my writing and stick more to the point. I think for the rewrite i am working on now its a vast improvement and its all because of those stories.

I have had to shelve for now, the story combining Maori and Aboriginal myths for now. I might try this again when i run out of ideas.

BTW I write childrens fiction. The publisher has set me a limit of 20k, soft limit so i am allowed to go 2 or 3 over, but less is more with the age group i write for. 30k is not to be sneezed at.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Oh I've written quite a bit now. I've finished two stories, and am in the process of rewriting them for the publishers. I have a met with them on the something of next month in sydney. I've also just finished writing for a short story comp. Seven original short stories of which I ended up entering 3.

Actually the short stories have really helped as it made me tighten up my writing and stick more to the point. I think for the rewrite i am working on now its a vast improvement and its all because of those stories.

I have had to shelve for now, the story combining Maori and Aboriginal myths for now. I might try this again when i run out of ideas.

BTW I write childrens fiction. The publisher has set me a limit of 20k, soft limit so i am allowed to go 2 or 3 over, but less is more with the age group i write for. 30k is not to be sneezed at.
Inspiring bro !

Haha way to go that is really neat.

Yeah What I’m doing is adult fiction based on real life work experiences, have to change the names of places and mix some of the happenings up so that they cannot uniquely identify individuals and thereby get me done for breach of confidentiality.

I tell you what though, if nothing else it is a really awesome thing to do for yourself, to use your brain to really work hardout. Wish I had started it years ago,

Think I have the bug so will keep going for as long as I am drawing breath.

Reactions: gREVUS and tajhay

Last Game

19 Jun

06 - 10
4.4 Total Avg Rating
5.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 16 ratings