General Logans Run

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Haha loving this late night new thread spree in the nerd zone.

Without being an advocate of letting old people die, this country and Australia are certainly headed for interesting times. The baby boomers are ageing, and there isn't a health system in any state or country (Aus and NZ) that I've worked in that isn't already under the pump. So many advances in such a short space of time, people are living longer and soon there will simply have to be limitations to what treatment is offered. The healthcare budget and physical resources just won't cope. It's an area that is obviously multi-faceted and complex, it'll be interesting to see what evolves over the next couple of decades.

Reactions: 1 user

Danpatmac

Haha loving this late night new thread spree in the nerd zone.

Without being an advocate of letting old people die, this country and Australia are certainly headed for interesting times. The baby boomers are ageing, and there isn't a health system in any state or country (Aus and NZ) that I've worked in that isn't already under the pump. So many advances in such a short space of time, people are living longer and soon there will simply have to be limitations to what treatment is offered. The healthcare budget and physical resources just won't cope. It's an area that is obviously multi-faceted and complex, it'll be interesting to see what evolves over the next couple of decades.

maybe the baby boomers need to get out of the mindset of leaving an inheritance for their kids, sell some of their hundreds of rental properties and pay for their own healthcare?
They certainly liked the idea of user pays when it came to my education and my enormous student loan.
Just a thought.

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Oh absolutely. Fuck the inheritance, get your private health cover. In fact in Aus they've recently introduced the Medicare levy surcharge for high income people who don't have private health cover. High income being like 80k or something similar.

mrblonde

mrblonde

Always amuses me how the baby boomer generation condemn all younger generations for their "entitleitis" (that is to say, being quite properly legally entitled for benefits, financial supplements etc and damn well getting them) but merrily pop up to WINZ near their 65th birthdays with their hands out. Again, they're legally entitled to do so but it's very pot/kettle/black to me. Frankly, I think it's time super was income tested - and maybe asset tested, too. Also amuses me that a few decidely Labourite people I know A) Think the country would be a better place if tax rates were hiked and B) Put everything they own into family trusts so no damn way will the government get any of their money, honey.

Maybe we've got to institute a Long Walk - based on the Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) short story. At the age of 18, 100 boys volunteer to run a race, the idea being to keep going for as long as they can. They get a warning for walking below 4 km/hr. You get three warnings, which drop off after an hour of walking above 4 km/hr. After that third warning? Well.......you're...out of the race. The one winner gets anything his heart desires.

One way to lower the population.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Im resigned to the fact that by the time Im old enough to start having age related health problems, it will almost certainly be a user pays system. Im also resigned to the fact that super will be cut completely and the retirement age will be 70-75 by the time Im there. Sadly the life expectancy of most Polynesian people is around the 62 year old mark so I'll probably die at work! My insurance policy and backup plan? I have 4 children...