General Local Grand Final

Northern_Union

I'd just like to remind everyone that Maori TV is broadcasting, live, the final of the NZRL premiership this sunday at 2pm.

It would be outstanding if as many of those in Auckland could get along to to the final which is held at Mt Smart 2. Adults $5. And for those of us outside Auckland lets support both local league and the Maori station for there continued support of NZ league. For those that haven't a game this season the quality while not up to NRL standard is still of a good quality and the Maori TV have to be congratulated for the standard of there broadcasts.

Common folks lets give local league some support.

Northern_Union

Opps for got to add that it's between Auckland and Canterbury.

These two teams met recently with Canterbury scoring a try right on full time to beat Auckland 34 -30 at the Addington Show grounds.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Go the Canterbury Bulls! In the U18's and mens final! I'll be watching the Mighty Red and Blacks! ;)

westie stylz_old

Which teams are going to be playing there? Is it under 16, 18s and prem sides?

There was going to be a north harbour secondary schools grand final at the start of the day but it was moved because the ARC wanted to protect their fields which was a sad.

The comp is tomorrow at Hato Petera and is a day long touney with 30 minute games. Lots of rugby schools fielding a league side which is always good :)

Viking_old

Which teams are going to be playing there? Is it under 16, 18s and prem sides?

There was going to be a north harbour secondary schools grand final at the start of the day but it was moved because the ARC wanted to protect their fields which was a sad.

The comp is tomorrow at Hato Petera and is a day long touney with 30 minute games. Lots of rugby schools fielding a league side which is always good :)

Is that a one day league tournament for schools north of the bridge? They should enter teams in Auckland comp to strengthen the whole competition which only runs for 6 weeks due to low number of schools involved. Logistically difficult but good for the sport.

Viking_old

I'd just like to remind everyone that Maori TV is broadcasting, live, the final of the NZRL premiership this sunday at 2pm.

It would be outstanding if as many of those in Auckland could get along to to the final which is held at Mt Smart 2. Adults $5. And for those of us outside Auckland lets support both local league and the Maori station for there continued support of NZ league. For those that haven't a game this season the quality while not up to NRL standard is still of a good quality and the Maori TV have to be congratulated for the standard of there broadcasts.

Common folks lets give local league some support.

I should be there. They should get a good crowd.

U16s Auckland vs Wellington listed as 12.00 but probably 10.30 approximately
U18s Wellington vs Canterbury 12.40
Prems Auckland vs Canterbury 2.10

westie stylz_old

Is that a one day league tournament for schools north of the bridge? They should enter teams in Auckland comp to strengthen the whole competition which only runs for 6 weeks due to low number of schools involved. Logistically difficult but good for the sport.

Yeah.

Most of the guys who played were rugby players from various NH schools, with a lot of first XV players involved.

Westlake were in the final v Orewa when I had to go. Rosmini and Mahurangi (I think) were the losing semi finalists. Massey won the bowl beating Birkenhead, Whangaparoa and Glenfield were 7th and 8th and I forget who was 9th.

A lot of schools could probably get teams together but having games weeknights on Wednesdays through winter is really, really difficult logistically. It's really hard to get to grounds on time and get the game in before its dark.

They almost need to make a major committment and make it saturday games and get clubs to focus on primary and post secondary grades like rugby is able to do thanks to the support from schools (historical and contemporary but worth challenging as views will only change unless challenged). Clubs would be a bit scared about putting faith in schools at the moment though and so would compete for players and it would all turn to custard.

They really need to get clubs and schools liasing and start small with about 4 schools and go from there. Schools are loathe to commit to comps that basically aren't up and running and semi established.

Northern_Union

You heard of John Tamaheri Westie Stylz? He's a former Labour party MP and current talk show host on Radio Live and lawyer. You should ring in one day and ask him how hard secondardy schools make it for league to get a foot hold into high schools. He reckons it was easier getting votted into parliment.

Northern_Union

Waikato did ok i think. Mat Hohaia was the standout for them along with that fullback with all the dreds.

daj3_old

turangawaewae... the more successful of two ngaruawahia clubs, affiliated with the local marae. I'm no expert on their players (I play for the hornets, a rag tag mongrel bunch), but issac john played for them... as well as quite a few players now in Australia. There's a good comp here in the waikato, but tbh if you want the gist of it there's tww and taniwharau, huntly. That's wairangi koopu and the hohaia's club.

westie stylz_old

You heard of John Tamaheri Westie Stylz? He's a former Labour party MP and current talk show host on Radio Live and lawyer. You should ring in one day and ask him how hard secondardy schools make it for league to get a foot hold into high schools. He reckons it was easier getting votted into parliment.
NU, I teach at one and know what it took to set one up.

Basically league needs to get more coaches and managers approaching schools. Times are changing and I know many principals couldn't give a damn about league or rugby so its just a matter of getting enough players, coaches and managers. There are of course the hardout rugby schools who seem to think of their first XV as the phallic object of their school but even most of them could have their arm twisted in this day and age. The schools that shoudl be targetted are those smaller to medium schools and go from there.

The following schools in Auckland have at least one league team: Rutherford, Western Springs, Green Bay, Massey, Waitakere, St Pauls, Tamaki, Avondale, Manurewa, Southern Cross, Otahuhu, James Cook, Sir Edmund Hillary, Aorere, Mangere, Mt Roskill, Hato Petera, One Tree Hill.

Conspicuous by their absence are Mt Albert Grammar, Auckland Grammar, Kelston Boys, Kings, Sacred Heart, De La Salle, St Kents and St Peters from Auckland and basically every single NH school minus Massey and Hato Petera, so the likes of Rangitoto, Takapuna, Westlake, Orewa, Long Bay, Whangaparoao, Birkenhead, Glenfield, Rosmini.... Interestingly enough though several of those sides fielded teams at the NH schools tourny on Thursday and most included many players from their first XV with Westlake fielding a strong side that took it out.

But if we could get one or two more out of them to get a side up and running then the rest would probably be ripe for the picking.

I think they have to seriously consider going to a weekend setup though. The clubs would suffer but then at least guys would be leaving high school having stayed with league rather than shifting into rugby while there and leaving high school as 'rugby players'. One other thing that needs to be worked on in the next couple of years is getting the under 15 comp up to 13 players instead of the current 9. The junior comp is the really important one. That way schools will have league players coming through right from year 9 and they won't be worried about first XV players making the switch because they never would have been rugby players in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

westie stylz_old

Auckland 38 Canterbury 18

It was 8-6 to Auckland at halftime and pretty even. Then after Auckland scored two tries, Canterbury pulled it back to 18-12. But Auckland then scored 4 tries in consecutive sets of 6 as they carved the Bulls up and raced out to a 38-12 lead before the Bulls scored a consolation try near the end.

Not sure on the result of the Under 16s and 18s though.