Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Naufahu Whyte is more a like for like replacement off the bench for Marata Niukore. Whyte has done a decent apprenticeship at the Roosters and will be ready for the NRL step up.

Zyon Maiu’u is almost certainly going to be in the match day 17 by the end of next season. He offers so much impact off the bench at prop and he will be a long time warrior. Warriors will be stronger for his development.

I don't think Laban has kicked on this year as much as he should of but he is learning his craft and was injured at times. Has great potential.
So you would be happy to see Curren or Ford go?

Let's say Whyte and May are targets, where are they playing in this current warriors squad?

I'm really interested in your thoughts on this in particular, because that would mean no room for Zyon Maiu’u no?

Whyte looks a talent but nothing more than what we already have, and he's not starting over anyone in the 17 as it stands now. The warriors have already committed to Sifakula as a prospect, and have an advancing halasima and Laban!

Club has finished top 4 this year so why can't they be successful next year with additions of CHT and RTS, and possibly upgrade Zyon Maiu’u and Laban under Ford, Niukore and Curran?

Cappy mentioned earlier in the season they were looking for one more middle, but then later said it could be a second rower as they had some flexibility of second rowers playing in the middle (assume he meant Niukore, Barnett) Webby likes "fit, fast and strong" middles over size, so someone like Naufahu has been playing in the middle this years, but is mobile and has in the past played second row so in theory could tick his boxes.

I think if we take one of them, it would probably mean Maui'u spending another year on a dev contract. Whyte is a couple of years older, more progressed (handful of NRL games) than Zyon Maiu’u which they might like. Getting someone of his quality for when Tohu retires might be tempting too.

Agree with your comments re Sifukula/Laban/Halasima - we have plenty of quality coming through there incl Zyon Maiu’u. Going's playing well too so could be in the frame to take a Top 30 spot. Cappy/Webby may well have decided against recruiting a middle and instead focusing on committing to promoting from within as you say.

I've been banging on about it for ages, but it's really hard to plan for the future when we don't know what's going on with some players, particularly Tohu.
Next year he earns 950k, but it's anyone's guess as to what happens after that.

Until we know what's happening with arguably our most important cog in the forwards, were all just shooting in the dark (phrasing) and guessing who is the heir to Tohu's crown, and what that means for recruitment.

I think we'll have a better understanding of this all in early October, and hopefully after a good showing in these next two games well have an easier time recruiting

Cappy mentioned earlier in the season they were looking for one more middle, but then later said it could be a second rower as they had some flexibility of second rowers playing in the middle (assume he meant Niukore, Barnett) Webby likes "fit, fast and strong" middles over size, so someone like Naufahu has been playing in the middle this years, but is mobile and has in the past played second row so in theory could tick his boxes.

I think if we take one of them, it would probably mean Maui'u spending another year on a dev contract. Whyte is a couple of years older, more progressed (handful of NRL games) than Zyon Maiu’u which they might like. Getting someone of his quality for when Tohu retires might be tempting too.

Agree with your comments re Sifukula/Laban/Halasima - we have plenty of quality coming through there incl Zyon Maiu’u. Going's playing well too so could be in the frame to take a Top 30 spot. Cappy/Webby may well have decided against recruiting a middle and instead focusing on committing to promoting from within as you say.
I think it would be smart by the club when we have a settled team to try build some of these kids up. Of course the club may need to be ready to make a play for a halfback or Tohu's replacement if they decide to hang up.

Splashing cash in depth positions is risky business when this team is already showing a lot of growth.

I think it would be smart by the club when we have a settled team to try build some of these kids up. Of course the club may need to be ready to make a play for a halfback or Tohu's replacement if they decide to hang up.

Splashing cash in depth positions is risky business when this team is already showing a lot of growth.
Agreed. We've seen glimpses of the development paying off this season with Ali & Demetric debuting (along with Tuaupiki, Going and Roache) but would be awesome to see a youngster step up next year and command a place in the team i.e. Jeremiah Nanai in 2022. Was hoping Demetric was that guy but ACL injury kills that.

I posted two weeks ago we will target a 2nd rower and after watching the replay twice I feel convinced of it.
Ford is the main actor in the set plays we run on his edge. He nearly breaks the line but not quite. Ford has only 4 tries this year despite having a million crash ball attempts at the line.
Put Ice or a premier second rower on that edge and they would have 12-14 tries by now minimum. IMHO.

Say it with me whanau

SECOND ROWER

I posted two weeks ago we will target a 2nd rower and after watching the replay twice I feel convinced of it.
Ford is the main actor in the set plays we run on his edge. He nearly breaks the line but not quite. Ford has only 4 tries this year despite having a million crash ball attempts at the line.
Put Ice or a premier second rower on that edge and they would have 12-14 tries by now minimum. IMHO.

Say it with me whanau

SECOND ROWER
JORDAN RIKI!

Say it with me whanau

SECOND ROWER
Interesting
How many crash balls did Jake the Muss Marata have and how many tries
How does Fords and Marata s defender stats stack up
I think Sup42 pointed out that ICE is lazy off the ball so tries is one consideration chase defence are some of the others
You like analysis
Kudo s to you

Interesting
I think Sup42 pointed out that ICE is lazy off the ball so tries is one consideration chase defence are some of the others
You like analysis
Kudo s to you

When at the Warriors Ice was a defensive warhorse with little to no offence. A great work ethic and excellent tackle percentage

Strange to consider that this has flipped around.

Given we are on a roll, we shouldn’t be signing big names. We should be transitioning talent from within

If we are to bring anyone in, they should be better than average players with high upside that we can plug into our system and unlock potential

The value of a player should increase when they come into the fold, rather than increase when we approach them

Likewise, when players get too expensive, the club should be identifying them and looking to swap with others that could be on the up

Interesting
You like analysis
Kudo s to you
He made 750 tackles for the tigers this year in 23 games. This is 32 tackles per game. He is a tackle bot who can score tries

1695288377941.png

Reactions: kos
We already have two coming in who will push for first grade. We likely don't have any spots left.

A few more youngsters will debut next year.

We have had a few years in our past where we have been in a similar position to this year or look like we are about to build on the recent years and things have fallen off.

2004 are some good years 2001-2003 we recruited some fringe guys that sounded promising but didn't work out and we fell apart. Then the players fell out with the coach.

2019 should have built off 2018. We only signed Ah Mau as far as names went. Should have been enough to build off the experience we recruited for 2018. Johnson leaving was also huge.

We did most of our recruiting the last few years. The challenge this off season will be to keep everyone fit and build off this year. Webster had them concentrating on specific things needed to win games. They can add more to that over the off season along with working on areas they see needing improvement.

Say it with me whanau

SECOND ROWER
The last player there was a rumour around regarding the Warriors was Micheal Chee Kam, sounds like the rabbitohs are going to re sign him. I agree with you that if anyone comes it’ll likely be a second rower. Not sure if we’d go for a player in later stages of their career in order not to block young guys coming through but I think a player like Laban is a couple of years away but also great prospects like Maia Sands etc coming up. I think we’d take a middle if the right person became available but I’m watching with interest how the broncos can keep Jordan Riki.

Back