Internationals List of Kiwi Eligible Players in the NRL NYC 2016

drake83

Played really well in the jnr kiwis test was the standout with Ata in my eyes in that game.

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

Storm young gun to learn from the best
https://www.nrl.com/storm-young-gun-to-learn-from-the-best/tabid/10874/newsid/102816/default.aspx

It's a name synonymous with success at the Melbourne Storm, and new recruit Brandon Smith is ready to put in the hard yards to follow in the footsteps of his namesake – and club captain – Cameron Smith.

The 20-year-old joined the Storm after two seasons for the Cowboys in the Holden Cup where he emerged as one of the most destructive dummy-halves in the competition.

The nuggety No.9 was a revelation in North Queensland in 2016 scoring 18 tries and setting up 21 more in a breakout season that saw him named in the Holden Cup Team of the Year despite plenty of stiff competition.

Having played rugby league since he was a three-year-old at the Waiheke Rams, the Junior Kiwis star is keen to knuckle down and fight his way into the Storm's star-studded NRL side.

He has already spoken to the coaching staff, and now Smith is ready to have a chat to pick the brains of the Storm, Morons and Kangaroos captain when he returns from Four Nations duties.

"I'm loving the culture at the club and the people that I'm are around are fantastic," Smith told Storm TV.

"It's a golden opportunity for any kid playing hooker. I'm looking forward to meeting him and I'm looking forward to learning everything he's got to teach me.

"I had a one-on-one with Bellamy (Storm coach Craig Bellamy) and Frank (General Manager of Football, Frank Ponissi) a couple of weeks ago and we just laid out the platform of where we're at and where we want to be.

"In two years hopefully I'm a consistent NRL player for the Storm."

Smith isn't the only former Cowboy on the Storm's books for 2017 with Jahrome Hughes joining his fellow New Zealander in the Victorian capital.

The 22-year-old initially played SG Ball for the Roosters before moving to the Gold Coast Titans in 2012 where he played three seasons of NYC and also made his first grade debut in 2013 at fullback against the Panthers.

Hughes has spent the past two seasons at the Townsville Blackhawks and earned another shot in the NRL with the Cowboys during the State of Origin period.

The two-time Queensland Cup Team of the Year fullback said Melbourne's renowned culture lured him down south, as did the prospect of learning off some of the game's best.

"I moved down a couple of weeks ago and I'm just finding my feet, but I'm really enjoying it at the moment," he said.

"The boys and the coaching staff have been very welcoming for me and they've made it very easy for me to come down to a new club.

"There's a lot that I want to work on. They've got very good senior players around here so I think I can learn a lot off those blokes and get the best out of my footy."

Out of all the young Kiwi hookers coming up in the NRL, Smith could be the best of the lot, training and playing alongside Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk as well as being coached by Craig Bellamy, he is going to be something special in a few years.
If this eventuates as planned he will become the key playmaker for the kiwis for years to come.

Reactions: 1 users

Selector

If this eventuates as planned he will become the key playmaker for the kiwis for years to come.

Agreed he already has a fantastic running game. Being around Bellamy and Smith he will develop other parts of his game. It will be nice to have a hooker who is strong in all areas.

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

Agreed he already has a fantastic running game. Being around Bellamy and Smith he will develop other parts of his game. It will be nice to have a hooker who is strong in all areas.
Lets be honest, Isaac isnt a great distributor nor a great thinking hooker, for brandon to work day in and day out with cam smith would be like steve young backing up joe montana with bill walsh (bellamy equivalent) teaching him the system. Could be the best kiwis investment ever without paying a single cent of it.

Selector

Thomas Mikaele has signed with West Tigers to play Holden Cup in 2017. Signed from Keebra Park high school, was born in Auckland.

Reactions: 2 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

Thomas Mikaele has signed with West Tigers to play Holden Cup in 2017. Signed from Keebra Park high school, was born in Auckland.
Will be one of the best props in the game in 6 or so years. Him, JJ Felise, Taniela Paseka and Junior Tatola will be such a dominant four prop rotation for the tigers in the future, and Woods is still relatively young for his experience if they can hold on to him.

Any news when the warriors holden cup squad will be announced Selector ?

Selector

Ejay Toeava has been signed by Melbourne Storm for 3 years. Was earlier this year signed by North Queensland Cowboys who agreed to release him so he could join Melbourne.

Reactions: 1 user

Selector

Rayna Whakaari, Simi Sasagi, Eteru Ropeti Taylor Fiu and Antonio Poua have all signed with Cronulla Sharks, all attended a recent HPU camp in Sydney. Taylor Fiu was a recent finalist at the NZRL awards for domestic player at u16 level.

Griffin Neame and Bayleb Uele have both signed with North Queensland Cowboys both attend a HPU camp recently. Bayleb Uele is the younger brother of former Junior Kiwis player and North Queensland Cowboys palyer Braden Uele

Selector

Augustus Rangihuna has signed with Melbourne Storm, will play Holden Cup in 2017. Originally from Wellington but has being playing rugby union for Nudgee College in Queensland. From the article below he sounds like a player with a lot of talent. Love how the article claims him as a Queenslander.

Melbourne Storm add rising Queensland rugby star to under 20s

Source: https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/fce1ba89d21d3c976b8fcf3c77c0c048

THE Melbourne Storm may have found themselves yet another Queensland star, signing former high school rugby sensation Augustus Rangihuna to their under-20s side.

It was only three months ago that the young playmaker, whose flashy footwork has been compared to that of Benji Marshall, was unsure of what his future held.

Captain of Nudgee College’s first XV this year, Rangihuna was heading into his final term of grade 12 and considering his options when the Storm came knocking.

The club first saw him at a rugby league clinic in his hometown of Wellington, New Zealand when he was just 13. And while Rangihuna was too young to sign then, the Storm always kept him in their memory.

Now the five-eighth is being touted as one of the club’s most promising young talents as he prepares for his first season with the Thunderbolts.

Rangihuna never imagined the Storm would have an interest in him and was left stunned when his head of rugby at Nudgee told him they wanted him. But he has been working hard at their base on the Sunshine Coast to repay their faith.

“I was buzzing,” he said. “When our head of rugby said they were really interested in signing me for next year ... I just knew it was a huge opportunity and not many people get to do that.

“I’m doing everything I can and training my hardest. I’m just making sure I’m taking everything in.”

It has been a while since the 18-year-old has played rugby league after he gave it up when he started at Nudgee in 2014. He said the transition from union back to league has been harder than most people would think but he had plenty of support.

Coach Eric Smith is one helping him with that transition.

Smith said he can see that Rangihuna had attributes like Marshall, but played with his own style that fans would enjoy.

“I have been very impressed with Gus,” he said.

“He has got some pretty good footwork similar to someone like (Marshall). He is pretty flashy but in saying that he’s robust and strong through the hips and legs.

“He has all the potential to have a bit of flair about him but he’s also shown he’s willing to roll his sleeves up and do the tough stuff.”

Selector

Northen Swords Junior rep player Hoani Rogers-Brown has signed with Parammata. Will be eligible for Paramatta's SG Ball squad in 2017.

Selector

Walter Fifita Counties Manukau rugby u19s rep has signed with St George Dragons. Will play Holden Cup in 2017.

Selector

Danny Levi can end the Test career of Issac Luke, says Knights coach Nathan Brown

source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/f27268dab722f49c642e72f97b4ffdd5

DANNY Levi is coming off back surgery, has played barely a season at NRL level and his only win in the top grade was 18 months ago against Gold Coast.

But Newcastle Knights coach Nathan Brown says his young hooker can end the nine-year Test career of Kiwi international Issac Luke this season.

“He’s been flying in the pre-season,’’ Brown said.

“He’s a talented kid who had some issues with his back last year. But he’s got them fixed and provided he keeps working really hard, he’s only going to get better and better.

“He’ll play for New Zealand this year.”

Just 21, Levi has already had a taste of international footy after he was drafted into the Kiwi squad as 19th man against Australia in the one off Test in Newcastle last year.

But he missed the Four Nations tour at the end of the season after being forced to have surgery to have a protruding disc in his back shaved.

“There was a bit of disc that had basically broken off that was pressing on a nerve and giving me problems down my leg most of last year,” Levi said.

“The surgery meant I wasn’t available for the tour which I was gutted about.

“But it’s all good now so hopefully, I won’t have any more worries with it.”

With the Knights drawn to meet the Warriors in the NRL’s opening round, it sets up an early personal duel between Levi and Luke.

A serious throat injury to experienced Knights recruit Rory Kostjasyn that will keep him sidelined for the early rounds of the premiership has opened the door for Levi to grab the chance to start in the number nine jumper against the Kiwi Test veteran.

Levi admits playing for New Zealand at senior level is definitely on his radar with the World Cup approaching at the end of the season.

“It’s definitely a big goal and I think I’m capable of it but I need to really knuckle down,’ he said.

“I was lucky enough to get a taste of it here in Newcastle and really enjoyed it but it’s about being consistent at club level and really establishing myself,” he said.

Levi says he saw Kostjasyn’s arrival at the club as a real positive rather than a negative for himself.

Selector

Raiders snare Junior All Black

Source: https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mole...d=825839272796135424&adbpl=tw&adbpr=236216311

THE Raiders have scored a coup by signing one of the best young five-eighths in New Zealand rugby union – and rushed him straight into their Nines squad next weekend.

Paul Roache, an 18-year-old Junior All Black, was signed by the Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland recently and Canberra fans will have an immediate opportunity to see him in action.

The teenager has been named in the Raiders’ team for next weekend’s Auckland Nines and Ricky Stuart and his coaching staff are keen to see how he goes in top company.

The exciting rookie is the younger brother of Warriors utility Nathaniel Roache and is a product of renowned Auckland football nursery Mount Albert Grammar School.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Raiders snare Junior All Black

Source: https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mole...d=825839272796135424&adbpl=tw&adbpr=236216311

THE Raiders have scored a coup by signing one of the best young five-eighths in New Zealand rugby union – and rushed him straight into their Nines squad next weekend.

Paul Roache, an 18-year-old Junior All Black, was signed by the Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland recently and Canberra fans will have an immediate opportunity to see him in action.

The teenager has been named in the Raiders’ team for next weekend’s Auckland Nines and Ricky Stuart and his coaching staff are keen to see how he goes in top company.

The exciting rookie is the younger brother of Warriors utility Nathaniel Roache and is a product of renowned Auckland football nursery Mount Albert Grammar School.
Wonder why the Warriors didnt snap him up? No doubt they would have been aware of him being Nathaniel's brother and in the same rugby team Isaiah Papalii was in...

Five&Last

Five&Last

Wonder why the Warriors didnt snap him up? No doubt they would have been aware of him being Nathaniel's brother and in the same rugby team Isaiah Papalii was in...
I agree. We do have a ridiculously large number of junior halves signed up though, Ata Hingano, Erin Clark, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Dylan Tavita, Dakohta Taimani (St Kents) and Eiden Ackland. And if you've seen him play, you'll know he's probably too small to play centre at the higher levels, when he played 2nd 5 for MAGS he was more of a pocket rocket type player and always played 1st 5 in the big games.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I agree. We do have a ridiculously large number of junior halves signed up though, Ata Hingano, Erin Clark, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Dylan Tavita, Dakohta Taimani (St Kents) and Eiden Ackland. And if you've seen him play, you'll know he's probably too small to play centre at the higher levels, when he played 2nd 5 for MAGS he was more of a pocket rocket type player and always played 1st 5 in the big games.
Ata Hingano has huge wraps on him. The club have invested a lot in his development. IMO the next best junior is definitely Chanel. Won NZ U18 Player of the Year and is another one that has huge wraps on him. I like Eidan. Has the vision, time and guts but is tiny as hell. Will have to work hard to bulk up cause he wont last long past age group if he doesnt...

Five&Last

Five&Last

Ata Hingano has huge wraps on him. The club have invested a lot in his development. IMO the next best junior is definitely Chanel. Won NZ U18 Player of the Year and is another one that has huge wraps on him. I like Eidan. Has the vision, time and guts but is tiny as hell. Will have to work hard to bulk up cause he wont last long past age group if he doesnt...
Chanel is definitely flying under the radar a bit. I think the club has massive hopes for him. He had a hugely impressive U20 season, but it didn't get much attention because of how poorly the side did. Just 17 years old and already doing preseason training with first grade. I don't think it will be too long before we're putting Chanel in the same conversation as Ata Hingano in terms of potential.

Im hoping Ata can really kick on this year and force SK to pick him. My only criticism is that he could be inconsistent at times, playing one good game then an average game. With the added maturity and experience, I think he can really take his game to the next level this year.

I like Eiden as well but I don't think we'll see much of him this year unless injuries or Chanel plays NSW cup. He's far too small and I think that was beginning to be realised because after those few amazing games he had, he was dropped for Dylan Tavita and never heard from again.

Last edited: