Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Auckland Council :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...
ladies and jellybeans...it is well forecast that we have a serious El Nino weather pattern on the way.

That means probably three years of drought.
Last time that happened was about 2018. They instituted a sprinkler ban to save water that December.

So, considering we are not getting much rain now, and the Upper Huia Dam is only 79% full, WTF not institute the ban right now!!!

Maybe:

They are bunch of morons or
They are milking the water rates to pay the bills or
BOTH
I'm in Auckland and can't recall a sprinkler ban in 2018. Not saying it didn't happen just may not have been in my area.

The damns were well down in 2020/2021. A lot of debate about getting water from the Waikato. A former politician pushing his weight around about. I work in IT and back in my support days it would often be to I fix the issue for the one guy over there or the one affecting 300+ people. It was a no brainer. They had 1.5 million people potentially going to run out of water and he wants to negotiate or stop it.

Similar to the pandemic where we should be looking to fix our health system. Not sure if we learnt a lot from previous droughts, well you don't hear much about it. Councilors are probably looking at the current high rain fall at thing it will be fint.

Your dog would be a better tenant than many wanting to rent the place. That is one of the reasons people would rather leave their house vacant.
Certainly a two edged sword.
We have a tenant who was in desperate need for a roof.
I have given him a chance with very strict proviso's
No smoking or alcohol being the main ones. He has had drinking issues.
Turns up every Wed with the rent.
Got a new gf who comes around when he's at work and does the washing and prepares his meals and cleaning etc
Has turned his life around.

I say we get supply of enough houses sorted. It’s the fundamental aim of housing and needs to be the priority.

THEN we introduce rules to raise government revenue and increase quality of housing stock, etc
My guy.

You need to understand how capital works. As long as there is profitability in housing, people with capital will exploit those without.

The problem is kiwis have no other ideas on how to generate wealth..

Not for me, I’ve got the appropriate appendage. Think an item that hit steven joyce in the face, attached to a belt and a female performs an act on a male.
Not sure this is actually breakfast table talk but hey everyone to their own. Lmfao

What is laughable about modelling is that figures are altered to suit the desired outcome. Have a close look at Reddell's modeling at the end of the herald article where he suggests that there will only be 1,700 sales to overseas buyer each year. That completely ignores the fact that pre-ban, there was over 4,000 sales to overseas buyers.... 2.3 times the number of sales to overseas buyers he estimates will happen. Even Megan Woods has admitted there was 4,120 sales to overseas buyers in 2018.

He's estimated that the value of sales per year to overseas buyers will be between $224.5M and $286.8M based on the median price for residential property nationwide being NZ$550,000 in 2018. That means, by his calculations, that most of the house sales to overseas buyers wouldn't reach the $2.0 m mark to require payment of National's tax.... completely ignoring the fact that National's policy would still ban the sale of property for less than $2.0 m. He's also completely ignored the fact that the current median nationwide house price in NZ is now $770,000 while Auckland's is $990,000 and Queenstown is $1,400,000, the locations where most overseas buyers tend to buy.

The other thing that Woods and these economists are making a great deal of is that NZ Stats figures from 2018 show that only 3% of house transfers in 2018 to overseas buyers. But National's policy also extends to non-residential Visa holders and overseas companies. Once those have been included, the figure jumps to between 11% - 22% sold to overseas entities according to a report issued in 2018 by the ASB.

https://www.interest.co.nz/property...es-sold-foreign-buyers-year-march-2018-likely

But I guess it's the case of not letting the facts get in the way of your modelling/bias.

The other thing that Woods and these economists are making a great deal of is that NZ Stats figures from 2018 show that only 3% of house transfers in 2018 to overseas buyers. But National's policy also extends to non-residential Visa holders and overseas companies. Once those have been included, the figure jumps to between 11% - 22% sold to overseas entities according to a report issued in 2018 by the ASB.
The other thing to consider is that, like this year's immigration numbers, there will be pent up demand that would re-enter the market when a foreign ban is lifted.

It is all a bit laughable. You get the lefties complaining that it is infeasible, and that it goes "against international tax treaties." Which is ridiculous in itself, as there is currently a foreign buyer ban, and what National's proposing is to actually give those foreigners more rights than under the current arrangement. Which is probably why Luxon and co believe it can be worked through

At least it is out of the box thinking to bring in tax revenue from outside the system

The other thing to consider is that, like this year's immigration numbers, there will be pent up demand that would re-enter the market when a foreign ban is lifted.

It is all a bit laughable. You get the lefties complaining that it is infeasible, and that it goes "against international tax treaties." Which is ridiculous in itself, as there is currently a foreign buyer ban, and what National's proposing is to actually give those foreigners more rights than under the current arrangement. Which is probably why Luxon and co believe it can be worked through

At least it is out of the box thinking to bring in tax revenue from outside the system
But it's not out of the box thinking.
It's something that John Key considered and decided against at the time.
Didn't actually say why but found it to be either illegal or unworkable.
I believe he had more intelligence than the current people who have this as their tax policy

But it's not out of the box thinking.
It's something that John Key considered and decided against at the time.
Didn't actually say why but found it to be either illegal or unworkable.
I believe he had more intelligence than the current people who have this as their tax policy
Fair call. Though at the time, when Key was in government, foreigners were not banned from buying residential property (which is crazy when you think about it, knowing what has happened with home affordability).

That ban came in under Jacinda, and at the time, was welcomed across the political spectrum. I'm no Jacinda fan, but that was something they got right.

So what National is now proposing is somewhere between the two regimes.

Back