General Liam Foran

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I've been watching Liam play over the last few weeks for Manly, standing in for injured brother Kieran, and have to say I'm pretty impressed.

We had him a few years ago but he never craked first grade, probably wasn't ready.

If he's on the market the Warriors should have a go for next year, he's the perfect foil for Shaun Johnson , strong kicking game and he's a left footer which is good variaiton.

I know we have Godinet, Leuluai and Tuimavave but we're cashed up and I think Liam Foran has plenty of promise.

Thoughts?

Reaction score

Willet

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think it was a bit of a messy break-up between Warriors/Liam Foran.. so I can't see it happening.

Reaction score
Nekminit

Nekminit

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think Liam has done really well in top grade! After watching him play for manly against the Vulcans this year i wasn't convinced that he had what it takes to step up but hes definitely proved me wrong. Well done to him for taking his oppurtunities!

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
While I agree Liam would be a great back up for TL next season, I'd be extremely surprised if he was ever interested in coming back here.
I'd say it's going to be TL > Godinet > Tuimavavae

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
When at the Warriors I saw him play for Ellerslie and he was VERY average. On current form he'd have to be next in line behind Mashall, K. Foran & SJ for a Kiwi spot. Maybe TL slips in their too?

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The way Foran is playing at the moment he wouldn't be a back up to anyone in this team. How much of that is the players around him is hard to gauge.
The thought of the Foran Brothers Steering Manly around the park then being another dimension for the Kiwis as a combination , is very appealing.

Marketing dream.

Reaction score
charlie bobmarley

charlie bobmarley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The way Foran is playing at the moment he wouldn't be a back up to anyone in this team. How much of that is the players around him is hard to gauge.
The thought of the Foran Brothers Steering Manly around the park then being another dimension for the Kiwis as a combination , is very appealing.

Marketing dream.
Marketing nightmare imo as unfortunately Keiran inherited 90% of the talent & looks.
I mean Kim Kardashian is so much more appealing when Khloe is not in the photo.

Reaction score
Magic Stick

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hopefully the Warriors are scouting the NSW cup and the QLD comp to try find another Maloney type...our half depth aint flash. And i dont think TL will be up to it

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I hardly doubt they would have lured TL back from the Superleague where he has been a first choice halfback for half a decade for a bench utility spot.

I think his solid defence and nice long kicking game could be a good influence for Johnson. Maloney is hardly flash ball in hand either, has a bit of pace and good long kicking game, and other than the odd cut out pass he's pretty standard imo. I wont miss him coming out of the line and leaving his centre and winger stranded on our try line either.

Godinet is a worthy back up in the halves, and with Tuimavave there also Im not too worried.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Thomas seems to be doing ok in steering Wigan around have a read of there latest game report

https://rleague.com/content/article.php?id=43729
Good read. Gives a Warriors fan some confidence. Problem with TL coming is compared to the NRL the ESL is sh!t that's not to say that individual players in THe ESL aren't better than NRL players. Ellery Hanley landed in the Winfeild cup, and was instantly better than anyone else running around, So it depends...Is TL the best player over there ? Hanley was.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I have watched only one Wigan game this year and was actually disapointed at how little work TL was doing as a half. For several sets he didn't even touch the ball and their #6 was doing all the kicking. TL was just wandering around behind the line or standing behind the dummy half. His defence was ok but all in all his work rate was poor.

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I have watched only one Wigan game this year and was actually disapointed at how little work TL was doing as a half. For several sets he didn't even touch the ball and their #6 was doing all the kicking. TL was just wandering around behind the line or standing behind the dummy half. His defence was ok but all in all his work rate was poor.
What game did you watch? He looked good in Fridays top of the table clash against Huddersfield. He'll never have the flair of Maloney but is a very solid player and should compliment SJs freakish talent well. He's also the hardest hitting halve in league today and has very good tackling technique.

My oldest son played a game with Liam and reckoned he was a very good organiser, especially considering he'd only trained with the other players once before the game. He came in took over control straight away like a good halve should do. I don't think he was ever going to be a good fit here and I doubt Keiran would be anywhere near as good here as he is with Manly either. Both of them fit well in Manlys structured style which is also why Keiran isn't as effective for the Kiwi's IMO.

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Speaking of hard hitting halves, I'm looking forward to seeing TL versus K. Foran a next season! They both hit like second rowers. I had a great chuckle at Johnson coming out of the line to smash SKD (from memory)... if only he could get his defensive positioning slightly better and not get wrong footed so often. You can see the touch background in some of SJ's efforts haha.

But yeah, I'll be a lot happier with us hiding one half on d than two!

Also, I believe Maloney's competitive nature and general intensity sometimes make him seem better than he is. On his game, Maloney is a fantastic half, but he has been fairly inconsistent this season.

Reaction score

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Cannot see why Liam foran woud rejoin the club, after his previous experience

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Cannot see why Liam foran woud rejoin the club, after his previous experience
Yeah, he would only do it if he was guaranteed FG time. Which he won't.

Reaction score
Warrioz

Warrioz

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hopefully the Warriors are scouting the NSW cup and the QLD comp to try find another Maloney type...our half depth aint flash. And i dont think TL will be up to it
My thoughts exactly.
Maybe not go for the same kind of search they went on for a Maloney, but something to bridge the gap between 1 player who hasn't played in the Southern Hemisphere in dog's years and a bunch of talented rookies.
For me there has to be someone inbetween. Just have no idea where we find him.

Reaction score

slaughterhouse.sa

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Marketing dream.
You know they are talking about Liam Foran ... he is actually Kieran brother ...he wouldnt get a start in the warriors team..kidding ya self
Competent depth ..only team he would get a run in would be penrith, newcastle or maybe a replacement for prince at the titans

Reaction score

slaughterhouse.sa

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
When at the Warriors I saw him play for Ellerslie and he was VERY average. On current form he'd have to be next in line behind Mashall, K. Foran & SJ for a Kiwi spot. Maybe TL slips in their too?
once again surely your kidding.
Kiwis ...the bloke has been in nsw cup for years and will be back there as soon as the FIRST choice halves are available.

I do rate him ... he is not flashy but does all the basics well.
But to think he is even a consideration for the kiwis yet lol.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
once again surely your kidding.
Kiwis ...the bloke has been in nsw cup for years and will be back there as soon as the FIRST choice halves are available.

I do rate him ... he is not flashy but does all the basics well.
But to think he is even a consideration for the kiwis yet lol.
So apart from TL, Benji, SJ, his bro etc who else would be ahead of him for the Kiwis? I suppose Nathan Fien could be considered. Chase now with England. Godinet and Roberts at Samoa (and NSW Cup).

Interested to see your names.

Top Bottom