Social A Weighty Issue

We have a local Bakers Delight. The woman who runs it is just an absolute honey.

Thats my knowledge.
We have having dark rye from another baker yum.
Five slices of bread I ve had today see if my weight goes up all dark rye today.
Because the cancer, well more the treatments after, effected Shayleen's metabolism, she found she couldn't tolerate a lot of gluten. The best answer for her was gluten free Vogels bread... not as nice as regular Vogels but she found it better than other gluten free breads.

Then she was told to try sourdough bread. We found for her the darker the better and she decided that some of the nicest are those with the hardest crusts.

I find Bakers Delight tries hard but it aint the best by a long shot.
I reckon that thinly cut Vogels is just great for taste ingredient and calories.
Where does she get the sourdough from.... Foodstuffs/Countdown or an independent.

I find Bakers Delight tries hard but it aint the best by a long shot.
I reckon that thinly cut Vogels is just great for taste ingredient and calories.
Where does she get the sourdough from.... Foodstuffs/Countdown or an independent.
A bakery up in Matakana had the best. Of the supermarkets, Browns Bay New World had the nicest while of the smaller places, Farro was pretty good.

For me, it’s had to beat original Vogels straight out of the toaster and buttered straight and finished with Vegemite.

We have a local Bakers Delight. The woman who runs it is just an absolute honey.

Thats my knowledge.
We have having dark rye from another baker yum.
Five slices of bread I ve had today see if my weight goes up all dark rye today.
mate I am not rubbishing Bakers Delight...it isn't them...it is me.
The bread was delicious, it is a stretch to call Vogels delicious.
They seem to stock plenty at the supermarkets though, but not out local fruit and vege, just white shite.

Reactions: kos
Had my first 3 monthly follow up, since my diagnosis today.
Results are in - its a passing grade
for those in the know, my original HbA1c result was 11.9 <putting me firmly in the diabetes category, although much lower than the pin prick test the day before at 30+ while at the docs>
My current HbA1C result is 6.8.
Less than 6.5 is considered prediabetic, and lower than that is considered optimal.

However those are Averages not taking into account other factors, like age, comorbidities and Hypoglycemia (whatever those last two are).
The Dr and the Australian Diabetes Society, both agree that the target for me to beat is 7.0, and thus a pass.

I honestly feel very lucky to have achieved this. The diet changes i had to make were not onerous, as many had already been made before i was diagnosed and were why i was losing weight in the first place. I no longer drink alcohol, sigh, and fun with food has been reduced to stealing chips off someone else's plate, due to the near zero carb rule i have (i still have a piece of toast with baked beans and soup, Sourdough or CapeSeed loaf by choice, multigrain if all else fails).

I have to stay on the meds, one per day in the morn. and will be getting ongoing monitoring from the Dr, and the wife. But i get to reduce my finger sticking down to once a day for which my fingers are eternally thankful. Maybe, one day i will get to come off the meds completely.

In the meantime, thanks to all those wishing me well, and offering support with this ongoing issue. Its quietly changed my life and i was surprised about how nervous i was going to get the results today. I was really worried that i hadnt done enough changes and that i was looking forward to a diet of leafy greens with zero variety.

Oh and lastly the Doc has told me that my eyesight is now back to normal, and I will be able to get new glasses and actually see proper again, or at least as good as before. No more blindness for me, YAY.

Had my first 3 monthly follow up, since my diagnosis today.
Results are in - its a passing grade
for those in the know, my original HbA1c result was 11.9 <putting me firmly in the diabetes category, although much lower than the pin prick test the day before at 30+ while at the docs>
My current HbA1C result is 6.8.
Less than 6.5 is considered prediabetic, and lower than that is considered optimal.

However those are Averages not taking into account other factors, like age, comorbidities and Hypoglycemia (whatever those last two are).
The Dr and the Australian Diabetes Society, both agree that the target for me to beat is 7.0, and thus a pass.

I honestly feel very lucky to have achieved this. The diet changes i had to make were not onerous, as many had already been made before i was diagnosed and were why i was losing weight in the first place. I no longer drink alcohol, sigh, and fun with food has been reduced to stealing chips off someone else's plate, due to the near zero carb rule i have (i still have a piece of toast with baked beans and soup, Sourdough or CapeSeed loaf by choice, multigrain if all else fails).

I have to stay on the meds, one per day in the morn. and will be getting ongoing monitoring from the Dr, and the wife. But i get to reduce my finger sticking down to once a day for which my fingers are eternally thankful. Maybe, one day i will get to come off the meds completely.

In the meantime, thanks to all those wishing me well, and offering support with this ongoing issue. Its quietly changed my life and i was surprised about how nervous i was going to get the results today. I was really worried that i hadnt done enough changes and that i was looking forward to a diet of leafy greens with zero variety.

Oh and lastly the Doc has told me that my eyesight is now back to normal, and I will be able to get new glasses and actually see proper again, or at least as good as before. No more blindness for me, YAY.
Good on you!
Well done.
Think of all the money you save not consuming alcohol
I gave it away too and also told I m predisposed to gout

fark the money....I want a drink...but I cannot have one :(

I will down one on your behalf Bruce

1696418338952.png

Good evening ladies and jellybeans..

I made my second visit to the dietician this week. Three weeks after my first.

I have lost 3 kilograms in that time. It was all fat:eek:.
1697014679035.png

They know because they have a fancy machine that differentiates between fat and muscle.
So it didn't affect my heart, like the last diet did.

The cost of the dietitian is working out to be very reasonable compared with the now defunct Jenny Craig.
The Jenny Craig food saved weight but was very expensive. The stuff I get now is just standard from PakNSave.

Now the bread thing. I was was always reading the sugar content, she said no, just read the calories per 100gm.

It turns out Vogels has HALF the calories of a similar slice of Cape Seed loaf!!! So I truly was eating a mince and cheese pie worth of calories because I had changed from Vogels.

So I asked how come the sugar content was the same. She said it wasn't the sugar content, it was the type of flour. So there you go.

Just gotta say, the Cape Seed loaf was bloody delicious, not as nice as a dram of the Macallan though.:(

I haven't touched any fruit, and she said I won't be. I asked about vitamin C and fibre. She said all the salads I am eating have more than enough.

Good evening ladies and jellybeans..

I made my second visit to the dietician this week. Three weeks after my first.

I have lost 3 kilograms in that time. It was all fat:eek:.
View attachment 1829

They know because they have a fancy machine that differentiates between fat and muscle.
So it didn't affect my heart, like the last diet did.

The cost of the dietitian is working out to be very reasonable compared with the now defunct Jenny Craig.
The Jenny Craig food saved weight but was very expensive. The stuff I get now is just standard from PakNSave.

Now the bread thing. I was was always reading the sugar content, she said no, just read the calories per 100gm.

It turns out Vogels has HALF the calories of a similar slice of Cape Seed loaf!!! So I truly was eating a mince and cheese pie worth of calories because I had changed from Vogels.

So I asked how come the sugar content was the same. She said it wasn't the sugar content, it was the type of flour. So there you go.

Just gotta say, the Cape Seed loaf was bloody delicious, not as nice as a dram of the Macallan though.:(

I haven't touched any fruit, and she said I won't be. I asked about vitamin C and fibre. She said all the salads I am eating have more than enough.

Is the tax payer or insurance paying for your Dietitian?

BTW does everyone have private health insurance? I'm covered by my company currently but wondering what happens after I retire and whether i should start getting while still reasonably young...

BTW does everyone have private health insurance? I'm covered by my company currently but wondering what happens after I retire and whether i should start getting while still reasonably young...
Self insure bro.

Build up a retirement fund with the premiums you would save. Worse case the public health system is fantastic for major stuff - you just don’t huger your own private room.

Bloody good question mate.

Years ago, my then father in law, a smart guy, had reached 70.

He worked out it was cheaper to cancel health insurance and put the money in a bank account. His wife had health problems too, which were paid for by health insurance.

I put that morsel of information in my brain.

Then some years later I read that the health insurance companies don't want you after 70, because that is when they stop making money from you.

I stopped my health insurance during covid, my cash flow had crashed and I wasn't getting enough from the government to cover it.

The health insurer promised me I could join when the lockdowns finished.

But heyzeuss spare me, my savings account had ballooned!!!

I found I could afford most private stuff if I really needed it, because public health cover everything anyway.

I have some serious issues, and might need some expense soon. No problem, the savings will cover it.

So short of really major and urgent surgery, I am better off without health insurance...and the cruncher...if I ever got that sick that I could not work, I would still have to pay the insurance to keep my benefits anyway.

So over all those years they profited from me, and just when I could do with it, they don't want me.

Just IMO

Back