International England vs Tonga Tour 2023

Can't help wondering if SJ would play for someone else, Madge is a passionate guy but I've always thought he's a feckin idiot as a coach. Get Bennet and Mooks back.
Sorry to detract from the thread mods but this is my last point.

I think an appointment like a Gardner for Samoa is really positive. In a similar sense an Andrew Webster would have been good for the Kiwis. Your NRL record can tell a lot about you as a coach. Mooks and Madge all got found out and probably wore on their players eventually. In saying that it’s a 3 week tournament and you just have to figure out how to wind tournament based competitions. It’s similar to origin. Building the culture, simplifying the game plan, have ex players in supporting the team reinforcing the culture etc.

The model we probably want is an actual ex kiwi legend as coach with layers of reallly good assistants and ex players that are willing to be in camp keeping morale high. You pretty much want to mirror what Mal does.

If he would be keen Stacey would be the right guy for it. I know he doesn’t want to be the head but he could do it I reckon.

Benji could be the guy in a few years time. You have to model the origin camp type setup. It’s a small window and you just gotta win 3 games a year pretty much.

Sorry to detract from the thread mods but this is my last point.

I think an appointment like a Gardner for Samoa is really positive. In a similar sense an Andrew Webster would have been good for the Kiwis. Your NRL record can tell a lot about you as a coach. Mooks and Madge all got found out and probably wore on their players eventually. In saying that it’s a 3 week tournament and you just have to figure out how to wind tournament based competitions. It’s similar to origin. Building the culture, simplifying the game plan, have ex players in supporting the team reinforcing the culture etc.

The model we probably want is an actual ex kiwi legend as coach with layers of reallly good assistants and ex players that are willing to be in camp keeping morale high. You pretty much want to mirror what Mal does.

If he would be keen Stacey would be the right guy for it. I know he doesn’t want to be the head but he could do it I reckon.

Benji could be the guy in a few years time. You have to model the origin camp type setup. It’s a small window and you just gotta win 3 games a year pretty much.
Webby's the man, Dan Anderson did both jobs, never had more Wahs in the Kiwis.

Anyway enough about our problems, go MMT and poms, we're staying over at my brother in-law's to watch the first test, he's Maori Tongan.

Now I think about it I've got some English blood in my family tree and no tokos that I know of, might buy an England jersey this week, 'ay up lads let's eat some feckin Tongans!

Last edited:
Did not even realize this was on.

So relieved Tonga have a test series after being stressed out that they are no playing in the Pacific Cup (I know it is called the Championship but piss off it is the Cup with NZ and Australia finally supporting their Pacific geography).

How far have Tonga come? from one off Warm up joke tests against the Kiwis to WC campaigns, and now a full international tour.

Welcome to the big show boys.

Obviously hoping Tonga win the series. Important that England win at least a test.

Seems Samoa and Tonga are way more organised including their social media etc. I feel a little embarrassed as a Kiwis supporter.
No shit, the MMT social is run by my cousin who owns his own media production company. Does it all free but gets flown to wherever they are playing. He's currently in Japan doing the Tonga RU teams media. Again, for free but gets looked after with flights and accommodation...

England v Tonga: Shaun Wane names suspended George Williams in Tonga series squad​

_94623045_davewoods.jpg

By Dave WoodsBBC rugby league correspondent
Last updated on 11 hours ago11 hours ago.From the section Rugby League87

Harry Newman
Leeds' Harry Newman (right) has done enough to convince England coach Shaun Wane to call him up for the Tonga test series
First Test - England v Tonga
Venue: Totally Wicked Stadium, St. Helens Date: Sunday, 22 October Kick-off: 14.30 BST
Coverage: Live television coverage on BBC One and BBC iPlayer, live text updates on the BBC Sport website and app
England coach Shaun Wane has named World Cup captain George Williams in his 24 man squad to face Tonga in a historic three-match series - even though the Warrington half-back is currently suspended for two of those matches.
Williams, initially banned for one game for a shoulder charge, had that sentence doubled after losing an appeal.
The 28-year-old has appealed again in the hope of having the suspension lifted.
If he is unsuccessful he will be withdrawn from the squad, and it is not clear if Wane would call up another player or who he would appoint as captain.
Hull KR's Mikey Lewis and Wigan's Harry Smith are the only two other out-and-out half-backs named.
It is the first time the two nations have met in a three-match series and reflects the rise of Tonga as one of rugby league's new super powers.
England and Tonga last played each other in an epic World Cup semi-final in 2017 in Auckland, New Zealand. Since then Kristian Woolf's side have beaten both Australia and Great Britain in one-off games.
"I'm really pleased with the 24 players coming into camp as we look to beat Tonga in this three-game series," said Wane.
The squad includes five players from the National Rugby League in Australia, including that competition's top try scorer in 2023, Newcastle's Dom Young. But Brisbane's Herbie Farnworth is ruled out with a hamstring injury.
Shaun Wane
Shaun Wane's England will take on Tonga in a three match test series across October and November
Other notable inclusions include Leeds centre Harry Newman, who has clearly convinced Wane that he can bring a disciplined approach to the international arena.
Newman has been criticised for on-field petulance by the England coach, who had said he would not consider picking the player unless he improved that side of his game.
Asked about the possible selection of Newman a month ago, Wane highlighted his petulance as a barrier.
"I will not entertain that. He's a real talent, Harry, and it's something he needs to improve on," said Wane at the time.
"But as a talent and a player he's one of the best. But it's something he needs to get out of his game."
There will be no complaints about the call ups for Leigh's Robbie Mulhern and Tyler Dupree, who switched from Salford to Wigan in mid-season. Both props have had stand-out years.
There are only two out-and-out hookers in the squad - the Warrington pair of Daryl Clark, who moves to St Helens next year, and Danny Walker.
And Jack Welsby of St Helens would seem to have the full-back jersey to himself.
Wigan skipper Liam Farrell, a potential England captain if Williams is forced to withdraw, is recalled to the squad for the first time in two years, just days after leading the Warriors to a Grand Final victory.
But it is disappointing not to see the Saints trio of Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley and Mark Percival. All three missed last year's World Cup and all three have again withdrawn because of injury concerns.
"All of the players included have impressed me throughout their respective Super League and NRL campaigns and are worthy of representing their country in this historic series," added Wane.
"We've got a real strong mix of experience and youth combining players who featured in last year's World Cup, this year's mid-season international and some who are returning to the international frame."
All three Tests will be shown live on BBC One.

England v Tonga series fixtures​

First Test - Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens, Sunday 22 October, 14:30 BST
Second Test - John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield, Saturday 28 October, 14:30 BST
Third Test - Headingley Stadium, Leeds, Saturday 4 November. 14:30 BST.

England Squad​

Matty Ashton (Warrington Wolves), John Bateman (Wests Tigers), Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Daryl Clark, Ben Currie (both Warrington Wolves), Tyler Dupree, Liam Farrell (both Wigan Warriors), Chris Hill (Huddersfield Giants), Tom Johnstone (Catalans Dragons), Toby King (Wigan Warriors), Morgan Knowles, Matty Lees (both St Helens), Mikey Lewis (Hull KR), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Mike McMeeken (Catalans Dragons), Robbie Mulhern (Leigh Leopards), Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos), Victor Radley (Sydney Roosters), Harry Smith (Wigan Warriors), Danny Walker (Warrington Wolves), Jack Welsby (St Helens), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders), George Williams (Warrington Wolves), Dom Young (Newcastle Knights)

I can’t see who we are going to play in the halves atm, we aren’t strong there. Wouldn’t surprise me if Wane moves Welsby into 6 rather than full back

Is there really no "legit" way to watch it? There's about 10 channels of sport on Sky, how have they not got it!

Man, typical Sky, sucks balls, thousands of Tongan fans will miss out, the bulk being here in NZ. What a shit stain.

Back